rode from San Fran to LA for fun

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ktgscooter

rode from San Fran to LA for fun

Post by ktgscooter »

My wife and I just finished a ride down highway 1 from San Francisco to LA on our Buddy 170i's on friday - vacation - had a blast - amazing views - some of the most amazing riding I've ever done - had to share
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

How many miles for a ride like that?

Rob
ktgscooter

Post by ktgscooter »

put over 600 miles with some side trips up a couple of canyons and through some state parks
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

WOW!

Nice run......you folks gonna have roasted buns after a run like that.

These little machines are amazing aren't they?

Rob
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

any pics, recommended State parks on the route, places to stay and what not? I'm planning a similar trip the end of November-not the very best month for riding, but since my vacation time is so limited I am tagging a few days on to Thanksgiving week to make a nice stretch of time. Weather permitting ( I suppose the whole trip is weather permitting!), we will probably only go as far as Monterey...but I will push for more probably. This is something I have always dreamed of doing and finally got my spouse on board on a couple months ago! He likes to ride, but his back does not. :(
ktgscooter

Post by ktgscooter »

BTW both my wife and I are 54 yrs old - and it was her idea! - great machines - ride them everywhere - hate to say but we are addicted - I even hooked up some crates on back and have it set up to take our dogs up hiking in the mountains. we live in salt lake city now and they have no problems cruising up the canyons
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I was in San Simeon in June. It was absolutely beautiful. We drove a little north of ragged point before turning around. I wish we had time to take in more scenery. Definitely a great scooter road. Except for the morons in their tuned diesel trucks pulling 5th wheel trailers tailgating it was perfect.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Ah!

You are both still kids in my eyes (63).
I still do two and three hundred mile days so you folks have lots of miles ahead of you.
Nice to hear ya'all havin fun out there!

Rob
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

lovemysan wrote:I was in San Simeon in June. It was absolutely beautiful. We drove a little north of ragged point before turning around. I wish we had time to take in more scenery. Definitely a great scooter road. Except for the morons in their tuned diesel trucks pulling 5th wheel trailers tailgating it was perfect.

Hearst Castle is on the agenda, I'm guessing/ hoping there is some lodging in the area, and I will research it more as the time nears.I'm really stoked! Please mother nature, no heavy rain! :)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hi ktg. congrats on the successful trek :D

may i ask if you ever felt too slow out there? ever get overtaken to the point of distraction, or is HWY 1 more or less 60mph friendly? also, what about the trip BACK? any difference in hills, terrain, steep grades, etc?
Riding is riding
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

What was the most scenic part of the trek?.....trying to convince spouse to go further than Monterey, so far failing.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

peabody99 wrote:
lovemysan wrote:I was in San Simeon in June. It was absolutely beautiful. We drove a little north of ragged point before turning around. I wish we had time to take in more scenery. Definitely a great scooter road. Except for the morons in their tuned diesel trucks pulling 5th wheel trailers tailgating it was perfect.

Hearst Castle is on the agenda, I'm guessing/ hoping there is some lodging in the area, and I will research it more as the time nears.I'm really stoked! Please mother nature, no heavy rain! :)

We camped at Sam Simeon in the park. It's was inexpensive!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I'm not gonna lie, no one loves the outdoors more than I do....but I like flush toilets, a place to chill the wine fetched from the local vineyard (But in all fairness I guess a cooler can do that?), and most important, adequate lighting to see and remove (by sweet death or chasing) all the spiders that plan on killing me in the night. Very modest hotels, with a resident psycho but without tv or wifi are A-ok, but I do need some basics :lol:
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

peabody99 wrote:I'm not gonna lie, no one loves the outdoors more than I do....but I like flush toilets, a place to chill the wine fetched from the local vineyard (But in all fairness I guess a cooler can do that?), and most important, adequate lighting to see and remove (by sweet death or chasing) all the spiders that plan on killing me in the night. Very modest hotels, with a resident psycho but without tv or wifi are A-ok, but I do need some basics :lol:
There are certain times I'm willing to camp. The California coast has near perfect camping weather. 50-60f day or night in mid summer. That particular state park is 300-400 yards from the ocean just like a real ocean sound machine. We got a perfect campsite with shade, lots of room, and a water spigot, electricity, close to the bathroom and right off the trail to the ocean. I'm not the least bit scared of spiders. However when I found very cocky possums eating my dinner after only a few unsupervised minutes a little bit of redneck came out and firewood was thrown. After 30 minutes they got tired of being target practice and went away. Back home I would have used deadly force.

Ahh I'm missing the ocean now....
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

I'm wondering how long it took you?
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I would also like to know how long this took you. I am considering riding my Stella to SF this weekend (I live in Santa Barbara, so the trip would be a little shorter, but I'm not sure it can be done comfortably in a weekend. I think maybe it needs to be 3 days. Also, what was your route from SF to the 1 in Santa Cruz/Monterey?
Tenchi

I sent you a pm...however...

Post by Tenchi »

My wife and visit San Simeon quite often, and the Silver Surf hotel is reasonable for a night or two. Nice indoor pool and hot tub for the sore backsides after such a long ride. Nearby restaurants, and Karaoki bar on Friday and Saturday nights. Off season is as cheap as $49 a night.
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Next time, give us a head's up! I'd have ridden out to say hi and buy you lunch!

I've done the reverse route in 2 days, stopping in San Luis Obispo. (I should do that again, like, ASAP!)

Traffic on the CA-1 north of SLO, especially through Big Sur up to Monterrey, can get pretty thick and cause some serious slowdowns. IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Who wants to plan a run up to the Bay sometime? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

ericalm wrote:Next time, give us a head's up! I'd have ridden out to say hi and buy you lunch!

I've done the reverse route in 2 days, stopping in San Luis Obispo. (I should do that again, like, ASAP!)

Traffic on the CA-1 north of SLO, especially through Big Sur up to Monterrey, can get pretty thick and cause some serious slowdowns. IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT.

I'm in if you'll wait for me on the Stella!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

magnato1 wrote:
ericalm wrote:Next time, give us a head's up! I'd have ridden out to say hi and buy you lunch!

I'm in if you'll wait for me on the Stella!
Ha, the Stella would do okay for most of it. There are some tough inclines in a couple places, but overall, it's not like doing 60mph the whole time. In some parts, I appreciated being behind a slow car/truck so I could take it all in!

I do have a friend who was kicked off CA-1 up there for going too slow on his VB1. But that thing is POKEY. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Yeah, I figure that San Marcos Pass on the 154 will not be fun. Do you take the 101 to slo or did you take backroads/the 1? I think it wouldn't be too bad for the Stella, but it may be a good idea for me to throw a windscreen on there.

You said it took you two days before, so, you thinking leave Friday with planned arrival on Saturday and then leave Sunday and plan to be back sometime on Monday? Or do you think it requires 5 days roundtrip?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

magnato1 wrote:Yeah, I figure that San Marcos Pass on the 154 will not be fun. Do you take the 101 to slo or did you take backroads/the 1? I think it wouldn't be too bad for the Stella, but it may be a good idea for me to throw a windscreen on there.

You said it took you two days before, so, you thinking leave Friday with planned arrival on Saturday and then leave Sunday and plan to be back sometime on Monday? Or do you think it requires 5 days roundtrip?
Four days roundtrip will do.

Took backroads and the 1 the whole way. I think there's one spot where we had to jump on the 101 for about 1/4 mile near Santa Barbara.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

My Suggested Route. My best friend went to college in Santa Cruz so he is going to let me know how to avoid the 65 mph section of Highway 1 between Watsonville and Aptos.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Los+ ... 19&t=m&z=7