Buddy = Less Respect!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Buddy = Less Respect!!

Post by JHScoot »

Hi Guys 'n Scooter Chicks 8)

Do you all find when riding the Buddy you get less respect on the road from drivers then when on another scooter or a motorcycle?

I am finding this and I doubt it's my imagination as I have rode an Agility 125 for the last few years and this was the first week I rode my Buddy for an entire week straight. What I found is drivers cutting me off, trying to pass when they can't, and moving into the next lane, even if behind a few cars, when they approach from behind.

I was at an intersection with a double lane left turn recently and the lane next to me was piled 6 cars deep to go left....but not even ONE decided to pull up behind me!

This seldom happens on my Agilty as it's bigger...and of course the fastest color made.

But this past week I have been cut off, recklessly passed, and pulled out in front of on more then several occasions!

Just wondering if you find the same when on the Buddy when opposed to your other bikes? Even if scooters, too.

I is getting 'kinda nervous. All of a sudden THEY are out to get ME!

I was passed and cut off by a pizza delivery guy last night just to beat me into a left hand turn lane on an otherwise empty street. He got the Stebel and the Buddy Bright Light in his mirror....but damn! :cry:
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I live in a rural area and rarely have a tailgater or anyone pulling the tricks you mention. In fact I do ride in 2 small towns on my way to the gym but still have no problems. The main problem I run into is folks running stop signs and I have them do this whether or not I am riding or driving. I do dress appropriately and always wear a bright orange safety vest. If you dont see me then you are too blind to be driving. :wink: :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

No
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Sassy Chassis

Post by Sassy Chassis »

Most people out here in the 'burbs drive like a-holes period. It is especially bad right now because of all of the extra "back to school" traffic. Some strange Houston phenomenon that is! :shock:

Anyway, when on the scoot I generally tend to ride as fast as I can/as it is safe to, so that I stay out in front of the rest of the traffic. This does seem to irritate the Suburban Assault Vehicle & mini-van drivers as they all have chips on their shoulders anyway. Also, be prepared to stay hyper-vigilant around ANY vehicle sporting those "stick figure" families. Those people are The Worst Drivers!! :evil:
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Sometimes but it's few and far between. I get a lot of looks when riding my Stella and it's slower than my Buddy. If I am I don't know about it or care....
Last edited by Drum Pro on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Are you sure you haven't changed something in YOUR driving style?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i am sure. but i think i dwarf the Buddy somewhat and it just appears smaller and maybe 50cc to some? my riding style is the same. flat out, lane splitting, traffic dodging, filtering fool

people turning RIGHT and cutting me off has happened more. maybe because the scoot is black? i am not the most hi vis rider around and my Agility is red.

but folks trying to beat me to the next light or trying to overtake me...it seems more prevalent on the Buddy. and more turn in front of me

i think i need to note its smaller, lower to the ground, black, and slow looking to some

yesterday a couple saw me coming from half a block away and entered the crosswalk on a RED as i approached. they looked my way and kept on walking!

so i rode on by. got close and blew the horn. it was fun watching 'em jump but its not as much fun when cars do it!
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Is this really a thread about how a Kymco Agility gets more "respect" on the road than a Genuine Buddy? Must be a slow day. "Move on, nothing to see here".
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

no thats not what its about. why not just move on and not post if you don't like it?

jr moderators all over Modern Buddy, it would seem

busy bodies. go out and ride and leave MY thread alone. i never diss anyone around here, what they post, how they post, or their threads

because its just a thread on the internet!

sheesh

now...MOVE ON!
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

pretty sure the thread is sort of about safety but you have to be less a jerk to "get it"

:P
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Wha Hoppen?? :wha: :wha:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yes, it appears to be All About the "flat out, lane splitting, traffic dodging, filtering fool".

Enjoy 'your' thread, then.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i ride in California. have fun in St Louis
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Wolfhound wrote:Wha Hoppen?? :wha: :wha:
internet is serious business for the bored and boring, i guess :roll:
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I have an advantage, I guess. the motorists see a scooter - they get nervous. They see pink helmet - they go into a state of all out panic and stay 3 truck lengths away
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

It might be that you dwarf the scooter, and they therefore think you're going to be slow.

I somewhat agree with Stormswift. I feel like drivers around here are extra careful and vigilant when they see me on any of my Buddies - particularly the lighter color bikes (Cream and Seafoam). The only Buddy I feel uncomfortable on is the Black Buddy 50 - which truly is too slow to comfortably flow with traffic. Otherwise most motorists are actually a bit deferential to me on my scooters. I rarely see any of the behavior that you described except when on the Buddy 50 and I am actually impeding traffic.

Of course there are always the minorty of bad drivers who act as you described no matter what scooter, motorcycle or car you're in.
TVB

Re: Buddy = Less Respect!!

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:Do you all find when riding the Buddy you get less respect on the road from drivers then when on another scooter or a motorcycle?
Sounds suspiciously like confirmation bias. You half-expect people to treat you differently, so you look for it, notice it when it happens, and remember it.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Depends on which other people on the road. Refering to cagers on the road with me, I expect to be treated differently (i.e., poorly) by other drivers because I'm on a scooter at all, not really because I'm on a Buddy. I feel like car drivers have WAY more respect for motos than scoots. And, although I will forever be imprinted this because of what happened to me, I don't think cagers hand any two wheel the respect it deserves on the rode.

Other bikes? Well, you know how that goes.
Rob

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:
JHScoot wrote:Do you all find when riding the Buddy you get less respect on the road from drivers then when on another scooter or a motorcycle?
Sounds suspiciously like confirmation bias. You half-expect people to treat you differently, so you look for it, notice it when it happens, and remember it.
Exactly. I was thinking a self-fulfilling prophecy as I read through this thread.

My WAG is that 95% of the general public can't differentiate between scooter(moped) make and models, let alone develop a scooter respect hierarchy.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:Is this really a thread about how a Kymco Agility gets more "respect" on the road than a Genuine Buddy?.
Yes
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jd

Post by jd »

I've never had a problem with respect while riding my Buddy 125.

You might consider a top case. We've always had them on our Buddys, and they create a fairly large profile from the rear. Also make sure you install the rear mudguard because it hides the tiny wheel and makes you seem even larger.

Oh, and never ride during the day without your high beam on.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Seems to vary. Mostly I do get some irritated folks that are mad that the giant gas-guzzler doesn't take off as fast as the small bike with a medium rider.

Some folks find it fascinating.

I was told after ranting to a friend that Stage 2 of riding is whining about how other drive/ride :P.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skully93 wrote:I was told after ranting to a friend that Stage 2 of riding is whining about how others drive/ride :P.
:lol: Like it!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

- George Carlin
TVB

Post by TVB »

charlie55 wrote:"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

- George Carlin
:shock: How did he know? Was he following me?
scooterdork

Post by scooterdork »

In my experience with my Buddy 125 vs my BMW R1200, I would say 'yes' - the Buddy gets less respect. I think some of that is just the small size of the Buddy plus perhaps people assume you are moving very slowly. I frequently get subjected to quick lane changes right in front of me, but I'm used to that riding on two wheels.

But yes, my experience is the Buddy gets a bit less respect than a big motorcycle. But both don't get much respect unfortunately.
Collette

Post by Collette »

scooterdork wrote:In my experience with my Buddy 125 vs my BMW R1200, I would say 'yes' - the Buddy gets less respect. I think some of that is just the small size of the Buddy plus perhaps people assume you are moving very slowly. I frequently get subjected to quick lane changes right in front of me, but I'm used to that riding on two wheels.

But yes, my experience is the Buddy gets a bit less respect than a big motorcycle. But both don't get much respect unfortunately.
Im totally used to a million cars in the lane next to me but when I drive a car I dont want to drive behind a scooter either just because you dont know if its a 25 mph cheapo. When I ride I just dont care :lol:
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I can't compare it to another bike because this is my only one, but maybe it's the color as you could be less visible.

I'm in small towns for all my riding with tons of 4 way stop signs, seems like everyone waves me on no matter who has the right of way. I guess they don't want to be too closer to anything on 2 wheels... works for me.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I can't compare it to another bike because this is my only one, but maybe it's the color as you could be less visible.

I'm in small towns for all my riding with tons of 4 way stop signs, seems like everyone waves me on no matter who has the right of way. I guess they don't want to be too closer to anything on 2 wheels... works for me.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I think that there are just people who have poor spacial awareness and can't tell how fast something is moving relative to themselves. These are the people who are bad mergers, and who will pull over instead of driving down a residential street that has parking on both sides.

Other people are just distracted.

There is also the psychological issue that some people just get bothered if there is somone infront of them when driving, so they will try to keep others from overtaking them.

Personally, i just ride fast, and aware. I often can read other drives and know what they will do before they do it. I've avoided many a bad situation because of this.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Absolutely no less respect on the Buddy. My larger scoots happen to be more visible color (bright yellow GTS, Red Helix vs cream buddy) and size wise though. I just make sure my evasive maneuvers are even more at the ready on the Buddy. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's not the scooter, it's you.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

:rofl: +1
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
C2

Post by C2 »

Respect? No idea... I can't read minds. Do I get treated differently? Yes. I don't think people look for us (or motorcycles for that mater) like they do for other cars. I also think they misjudge our speed all the time; usually pulling out in front of us without thinking.

Do I lane split? Yes.. sometimes, but only when I think it's safe to do so. Do they judge me for that... probably. Nothing I can do about that.

On a more humorous note.. I get lots of stares when I drive up into the hills to go to Alice's Restaurant - http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/ - and pull up on my scooter. It's a big biker place - many Harleys, Nortons, Duccatis and the like usually parked in front - and I pull up on my Buddy. I love F'ing with people's heads.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

officially named my BJ Buddy Dangerfield :rofl:

i tell 'ya, no respect!!

so i am traveling along my usual route up Oak Knoll in San Marino and a soccer 'ma in a black benz decides to pull out right in front of me before a sharp, 15mph turn. i blare the horn as she cuts me off and i swerve. she looks right at me and i get off the horn. but she keeps coming...and looking, as if she is thinking "move over can't you see ME coming at YOU!"

so i get back on the horn, heading for the curb, and keep on riding because otherwise....i'm down

i think its a viz thing. i'm gonna deck the BJ out in some bling and reflective tape and stuff. like on my Agility. get a white helmet, too. pretty sure 'peeps just notice my taller, red scooter faster and react to it accordingly. will pick me up a hi viz vest, too. walmart has 'em cheap

i've never felt so invisible in all my three years of riding 8)
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

a Blackjack is an awesome scooter, btw. i recommend it for good times on city streets :nerd:
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The high visability vest is a must. I get mine at WalMart, $15.00, like you said.
:clap: :clap:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If you were riding the Agility I'm sure the Benz driver would have reacted much differently!

"Oh yes...I hear that stebel horn but it's just a Buddy...I choose to dislike Buddy scooters so I am going to proceed in an unsafe manner. Buddy scooters are so tiny...size does matter...they have some good moves..but they come at me way too quickly, finish with me and think that I am to respect and obey their every whim. Buddys deserve to die by my hand!

It is unfortunate that that person is not riding a wonderful Kymco scooter...I like Kymco scooters...Kymco scooters are so much better and deserve my respect...especially a Kymco Agility.

I would slam on my brakes and be willing allow my perfect plastic face to smash into the steering wheel to avoid an agility. I could later explain to my friends that the Benz logo impression on my forehead was the result of avoiding a Kymco Agility...a scooter that deserves the utmost respect from all drivers of four wheeled vehicles!

I just wish it was a Grand Dink...I love Dink...and a Grand Dink is so satisfying. If I could just straddle a Grand Dink and ride that pulsing throbbing Dink I would not need to take this drive in order to make my "meeting"..a big Dink would totally satisfy me!

I don't want as stupid little Buddy...they are just so small and come at me so quickly leaving me yearning for more...I need to have a Grand Dink between my legs!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

BuddyRaton wrote:If you were riding the Agility I'm sure the Benz driver would have reacted much differently!

"Oh yes...I hear that stebel horn but it's just a Buddy...I choose to dislike Buddy scooters so I am going to proceed in an unsafe manner. Buddy scooters are so tiny...size does matter...they have some good moves..but they come at me way too quickly, finish with me and think that I am to respect and obey their every whim. Buddys deserve to die by my hand!

It is unfortunate that that person is not riding a wonderful Kymco scooter...I like Kymco scooters...Kymco scooters are so much better and deserve my respect...especially a Kymco Agility.

I would slam on my brakes and be willing allow my perfect plastic face to smash into the steering wheel to avoid an agility. I could later explain to my friends that the Benz logo impression on my forehead was the result of avoiding a Kymco Agility...a scooter that deserves the utmost respect from all drivers of four wheeled vehicles!

I just wish it was a Grand Dink...I love Dink...and a Grand Dink is so satisfying. If I could just straddle a Grand Dink and ride that pulsing throbbing Dink I would not need to take this drive in order to make my "meeting"..a big Dink would totally satisfy me!

I don't want as stupid little Buddy...they are just so small and come at me so quickly leaving me yearning for more...I need to have a Grand Dink between my legs!
POTY!!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

A fitting climax to this strange thread. Thanks BuddyRaton.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Just had a related incident heading to work this morning and it brought this topic to mind.....

I was waiting to make a left with about three cars in front of me and quite a few behind. As I'm waiting for the light to change, I heard a loud roaring behind me and to the right. Turned around to see what was up, and saw that a guy and girl on a Harley had passed the cars behind me (on their right) and was perched about two feet off my starboard quarter. No big deal until the light changed. "Einstein" tore loose, passed me on the right (almost taking my right hand mirror off) and then cut left in front of me. Nothing much I could do, so we proceeded to the next light, where we were stuck behind about 20 cars. I stayed about 15 feet back of this guy, figuring he was gonna do something stupid. Light turns green and, sure enough, he breaks right, slots himself in the narrow shoulder lane, blasts past all 20 cars, and then cuts off the lead car from the right.

Point is, it's not a matter of size (Helices ain't exactly small), and it's not just people in cars. Some folks are idiots, some folks are oblivious, and some folks are self-centered. That's about all there is to it.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Aint no cure for stupid!!!! :wink:
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

it's a mix for me...some people ride me like a horse, some pass me indiscreetly, some respect me; as the previous person said...can't fix stupid (to that I'll add ignorant!)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

JHScoot wrote: I was passed and cut off by a pizza delivery guy last night just to beat me into a left hand turn lane on an otherwise empty street. He got the Stebel and the Buddy Bright Light in his mirror....but damn! :cry:
You got passed?

Ride faster. :twisted:
FenderJack

No love...

Post by FenderJack »

Sorry you get no love. I've found that motorcycles don't give the obligatory not but other scoots do to my Kymco Like 200i. But honestly, who friggin' cares. The scoot is for you. I got 70 mpg last week so all the mini-vans and super trucks can suck it. Just be safe man!
Joker219

Post by Joker219 »

i often find a line of cars in the lane next to me and some @$$ clown of a jock in his obscenely huge truck next to me sneering and giggling like a school girl at the guy on the tiny red scoot to his girlfriend in the passenger seat. that is of course.. untill i pull a wheelie off the line and blister away from him up to the next light as i hear him drain approx 8 gallons of fuel...then its usually the girl in the passenger seat laughing while the @ss clown looks like the nature of his issue with "tiny things" was just revealed to the world and suddenly theres a huge line of cars behind me instead of him.. makes my day every time but wheelies are bad for buddies front wheel and suspension. that reminds me i need new roller weights sumthin fierce.. shes a bit overly torqy for now..
For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. for there u have been and there you will forever long to be~~davinci
Joker219

Post by Joker219 »

on a separate note.. people who drive a prius slathered with obama stickers and world peace seem to glare at me while at gas stations.. i just figure they are overcome with jealousy and frustration that their prius doesn't get as good gas mileage and requires much more than my usual 4 dollar fill up once a week.
For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. for there u have been and there you will forever long to be~~davinci
okcgravity

Post by okcgravity »

I hate to say this given what has been said but....

I can tell a big difference in how traffic perceives me on my Vespa GTS and how they did when I rode the Buddy I used to have. I imagine the OP is dealing with the same issue, and somehow managed to word it as poorly as possible.

I had the same issues, I got pointlessly passed more on the Buddy than I do the GTS, and My butt was ridden while speeding more on the Buddy than the GTS. And I know it has NOTHING to do with the fact that one was a Buddy while the other a GTS. I think it primarily had to do with physical size and visual volume of the bike.

I think the Buddy's smaller physical size makes people more likely to lump it with a Metro or some other smaller 50cc type bike that might struggle to do 45. Once that is in their head they have to get around this slow vehicle, even once I was going 55 they were committed to me being "a small slow scooter".

Where as my GTS is not only physically larger, i think it fills a larger physiological volume due to being black covered with chrome. I think most people look at the larger bike and color and snap to the idea of a bigger cruiser and just relax behind me safe in the knowledge that I go fast.

I don't know how big an Agility is, or what colors the two scoots were, but there could be some of this at play?