Colorado MB'ers, are you okay?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LunaP

Colorado MB'ers, are you okay?

Post by LunaP »

I know we have a handful of Colorado residents on MB. I'm starting to see photos on FB of the horrible flash flooding... everybody okay out there? I hope so :?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thanks for checkin!

So far so good! Denver proper is wet but fine. With rain gear I'm able to scoot.

Normally I do go 2x a week to Boulder though, which is @ a mile from CU campus. That area is flooded, many roads are destroyed. Those offices are closed right now, and hope to be open by Monday.

What's more concerning is all the areas around canyons. those are flooding and being torn apart. The residents for the most part are fine, but there's usually only a couple roads up and down many of the mountain towns. As of now they can't get supplies outside of their 'hoods.

Aurora (eastern suburb) is also getting pretty flooded. It's OK except people are stupid, drive right into 4' deep water, and go "I didn't know I couldn't make it!" I don't have much sympathy for them. Flash floods are a common occurrence here in the desert.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Doing OK but it's still raining and with a 40-60% chance of doing so until Monday, things aren't going to get much better.
There's some places with flat out raging rivers flowing across major roads in metropolitan areas.
As Skully said, the real problem is the canyon areas; particularly the "burn scars" from the horrible fires we've had in the past 2 years.
2 of my kids are at CU Boulder so they're sort of stuck in-doors for a couple days. One of my sons said the pool at his apartment complex was drained and had already filled back up.

Thanks for checking on us!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

My sister (MB'er-once-removed, right?) lives just outside of an area of eastern Denver proper that was evacuated yesterday...she actually lives near where they were taking the evacuees out. Aurora PB was asking for no travel, but she's in healthcare and takes it as a serious obligation.

She had to drive around barriers to leave her house for work and said the area resembled a crime scene with all the LE presence. Getting to work (2nd shift hospital lab) justified her husband taking her to work in the truck, as there was 6+ inches of water in the street at her workplace. She couldn't have ridden in if she had tried.
Sassy Chassis

Post by Sassy Chassis »

Craziness! I don't recall it ever being like that when I lived there in the early to mid-nineties.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Glad you guys are ok. I was out there over the Labor Day weekend and saw remnants here and there around Manitou and Colorado Springs. They still had sand bags up around a lot of the shop doors in Manitou. Really sorry for you all.
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Glad to hear an a-okay from you all! Raven, your sister is an awesome person!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Doing well here. It's crazy how localized all of the rain and flooding have been. This rescue, that was all over the news, is only a few miles from my house but also a few hundred feet lower in elevation so it's been a totally different situation in my neighborhood where we've only had some collecting of water in low-lying places.

Many friends evacuated from their homes but, so far, most seem to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for checking in on us!