Wish me luck this weekend! Honda CH150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Wish me luck this weekend! Honda CH150

Post by RoaringTodd »

Purchased a barn find 1985 Honda Elite CH150 last month for $340. I did not have the time until this weekend to completely go into the scoot and clean things up and change the fluids. I have ordered and received all the parts I need, plus more.

One thing I know I do need, will be to change the carb manifold out. The old one is crackled (a known issue). Will be my first time working on the carburetor directly. That's the part I am most nervous about. I just pray it fires up after I'm done and hit the "start" button.

That thing is filthy! It was stored in a barn for some years, and there is dust all over. When I took the panels off for a cursory preview, there was so much dust and hay around the engine I could not see what I was looking at. But hey, when I test drove it prior to buying it, it ran really well.

Wish me luck. :nerd:
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Regarding the carburetor:

A couple of hoses carry coolant to and from the carb. for cold driveability.
Mark the hose and its corresponding nipple for re-assembly.
They are next to and the same dimension as the vacuum hoses.
I've seen more than one CH-150 with the hoses mixed up and you end up with unintended water injection.

I'm sure you looked, but to anybody reading, always inspect the inside of the fuel tank for rust, a common issue that results from sitting unused for long periods of time.
Once put back in service, the rust breaks down and works its way into the carb......just messes the whole works up.

Sounds like a good find so far!

Good luck,
Rob
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks Robbie - appreciate your tip. One question - do you know how to drain the coolant? Is it disconnecting the water pump from the engine case or is it by pulling a hose loose? I know that in a car engine, there is a valve you turn, but that does not seem to be the way for those scooters.

RT
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Strictly off memory......I recall a 10mm headed bolt at the bottom of the water pump housing.
You could see the edge of a brass seal washer under the head of the bolt.
I believe the drain bolt was at the edge of the bulge in the casting and was flanged to support the seal washer.

That was the drain.

Hope my memory was correct.....think I got it though.

Rob
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Looks like it's parts 10 and 15 in the following diagram:

http://www.jerseyshorepowersports.com/f ... veh=131815
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

charlie55,

Yep, that's it.......63 yo memory is still functional!

Rob
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

That does help a lot! Thanks.
skipper20

Re: Wish me luck this weekend! Honda CH150

Post by skipper20 »

RoaringTodd wrote:Purchased a barn find 1985 Honda Elite CH150 last month for $340. I did not have the time until this weekend to completely go into the scoot and clean things up and change the fluids. I have ordered and received all the parts I need, plus more.

One thing I know I do need, will be to change the carb manifold out. The old one is crackled (a known issue). Will be my first time working on the carburetor directly. That's the part I am most nervous about. I just pray it fires up after I'm done and hit the "start" button.

That thing is filthy! It was stored in a barn for some years, and there is dust all over. When I took the panels off for a cursory preview, there was so much dust and hay around the engine I could not see what I was looking at. But hey, when I test drove it prior to buying it, it ran really well.

Wish me luck. :nerd:
Since it's a barn find, watch out for mouse droppings. That hay around the engine could be a critter nest so be careful.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Make sure that you burp that cooling system thoroughly after you're done. Seems like a bottomless pit after you've done a complete drain.

FWIW, I use Engine Ice pre-mix as the replacement coolant. Maybe just hype and perception, but it does seem to run a bit cooler (one bar less on the temp gauge) than with your garden-variety Prestone/Peak/etc. stuff.

BTW, if you need that copper gasket for the drain bolt and it cross-refs the same as the Helix, I've got an extra one and can pop it in an envelope for you. No point incurring 7 bucks of shipping charges for a 10 cent part.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I shouldn't have to replace the drain gasket if its in good condition, right?

RT
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

RoaringTodd wrote:I shouldn't have to replace the drain gasket if its in good condition, right?

RT
A lot of times you can get a second use from a crush washer by reversing it. In the case of a used but new-to-me bike, I always replace washers and gaskets with new pieces as I go along because I have no idea as to how many times the original ones have been re-used. That way I have a known baseline for future maintenance.

This particular washer/gasket is a bit on the flimsy side, so I'd play it safe and just replace it. No matter the source, it's relatively cheap.

I used partzilla.com for my last gasket/washer purchase. They're usually much cheaper than even the dealerships, but very slow to complete and ship the order.

And as you probably already know, when it comes to small, cheap parts, when you need 1, go ahead and buy 10. Not enough extra weight to affect the shipping charges, and you won't need to re-order and pay additional shipping for quite a while.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks for the generous offer - If I needs, I know who to PM.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Congrats! I just love the Elites. What a great price, make sure and post an update! :D