parking tickets, remove your plate?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

parking tickets, remove your plate?

Post by climbguy »

So I have had my 170i for about 5 weeks now and got my first parking ticket for leaving the scoot on a sidewalk, never mind there were bicycles that took up more pedestrian space then I did.

The ticket was for $100 and I am going down to city hall to try and fight it next week.

Anyway, I am thinking about remove my plate when I park. Had anyone had any luck doing that? How do you attach it?
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Or . . just comply with the law (if it applies to where you were ticketed).
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I do not condone breaking the law, but I've read that a lot of folks in NYC use magnets to mount their plates. When they park, they just take the plate away with them to make it impossible for the police to ticket them. Again, it's against the law and I don't condone it, but it's possible to see how a couple of $100 tickets could cause a rider to think about engaging in such tactics. :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I understand in some other large cities such as NYC, removing your plate to avoid ticketing is a good way to get your scooter impounded.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dooglas wrote:I understand in some other large cities such as NYC, removing your plate to avoid ticketing is a good way to get your scooter impounded.
Yeah, it seems to me that doing the "nyah, nyah, you can't ticket me" bit would be a great way to piss off someone who has the ability to introduce great hassle and a bit of expense into your life, by escalating it into an "unregistered vehicle" case.
MYSCTR

Re: parking tickets, remove your plate?

Post by MYSCTR »

climbguy wrote:Anyway, I am thinking about remove my plate when I park. Had anyone had any luck doing that? How do you attach it?
...then they just boot your butt!
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

climbguy wrote:So I have had my 170i for about 5 weeks now and got my first parking ticket for leaving the scoot on a sidewalk, never mind there were bicycles that took up more pedestrian space then I did.

The ticket was for $100 and I am going down to city hall to try and fight it next week.

Anyway, I am thinking about remove my plate when I park. Had anyone had any luck doing that? How do you attach it?
Like a car - with license plate screws. BTW, when you go to city hall to try and get the ticket dismissed, what will be the basis of your argument? My guess is that whatever you come up with, the city hall clerk will just pull out the rule book and show you where it says that parking motorized vehicles on the city's public sidewalks is a no-no. What's that old saying - "You can't fight city hall"? Sorry, but I think you're going to come up short on this one. Will taking your plate off the next time you're on the sidewalk help? Maybe but as someone has already stated, you could be tempting fate if the parking officer is in a bad mood.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thus far I've been lucky when I remove my plate. If a traffic officer decides they want to, I don't have the 'low powered' sticker, so they could probably find a means to hassle me.

I think it's all about placement too. I've parked my 500cc on the sidewalk in places and never been hassled, but I wouldn't try to fight it if they did ticket me.

If you broke the law, well it's time to take your medicine. They'll just charge you the admin fee on top of the ticket if you fight it.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

People that choose to make their plates removable mostly get away with it here in RVA.
I hear of people using magnets to mount, but also industrial strength velcro and specially made plate frame which you can just slide the plate out of when you walk away. I don't like the idea of the latter two options, because it leaves it fairly obvious that a plate belongs on the scoot, so what's the point?
However, if anybody knows how to go about setting up a magnet mount for plates, please link...
Tomato Bisque

Post by Tomato Bisque »

wait- you can't park on sidewalk? If there's a decent enough space in front of a business I often do. hmmm
TVB

Post by TVB »

Tomato Bisque wrote:wait- you can't park on sidewalk? If there's a decent enough space in front of a business I often do. hmmm
It depends on local laws. But yeah: lots and lots of places don't allow you to park motorcycles on the sidewalk.
OldSchoot

Post by OldSchoot »

jrsjr wrote:I do not condone breaking the law, but I've read that a lot of folks in NYC use magnets to mount their plates. When they park, they just take the plate away with them to make it impossible for the police to ticket them. Again, it's against the law and I don't condone it, but it's possible to see how a couple of $100 tickets could cause a rider to think about engaging in such tactics. :?
Removing your plate in NYC to 'fool' the parking cops - In NYC ?! -you will come back and your scoot will be gone! They'll call a truck, load it up and take it away. Betya5bucks!
Anthonyf953

Post by Anthonyf953 »

I use a platepuller for my 125 in Boston. Haven't had a problem (yet) . It was a little overpriced at $60 but it makes it easy to pull the plate whenever you want. If a cop had a good pair of eyes though they would notice there was no moped sticker on the scoot and put two and two together. Just hope they're not sharp with the laws and have better things going on! Good luck!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

In Chicago, they will plasma cut your chain (or the piece of the frame it's wrapped around, if that's easier), throw it on its side on a flatbed, and put it on a pile of motorcycles at the tow yard. Then when you try to claim what's left of it, after they take three days to find it (because it didn't have a plate) they'll give you the parking ticket, charge you storage for three days, they'll ticket you for not displaying your plate, they'll charge you for a replacement plate, and a late fee, and they'll charge you for a city sticker and a late fee for that, too. Then when you come to pick it up, they'll ask to see your license endorsement and if you don't have one, they'll fine you for that too, make you have someone else come pick it up and charge you for the extra storage.

The laws aren't that mysterious, and skirting them gives scooters and scooterists a bad name. Please just follow the law.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Smittydc

Post by Smittydc »

Industrial velcro works well.

If you don't lock your scooter in DC it will get stolen, so you pretty much have to park it on the sidewalk (locked to a lamppost or other object).

What's amusing is that it's the same ticket as if you pulled your car up onto the sidewalk and left it there blocking the entire sidewalk.

As long as you make an effort to not lock it where it impedes sidewalk traffic (use a side street or wide sidewalk) I doubt you'll have any problems.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

MYSCTR wrote:
climbguy wrote:Anyway, I am thinking about remove my plate when I park. Had anyone had any luck doing that? How do you attach it?
...then they just boot your butt!
Scoot Boot Boogie!