Is constant full throttle riding a problem on the 50?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jav

Is constant full throttle riding a problem on the 50?

Post by jav »

per the subject line - I find myslef riding full throttle almost all the time on the 50. Problem or no?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Completely stock? Probably not that bad. Derestricted? Modded with rollers and such, My buddy with a roughhouse limits cruising to 40 bmph. He averages 85mpg.
Loren

Ride it like you stole it

Post by Loren »

Me personally I ride mine WOT pretty much all the time. I do a lot a countryside riding and I need to be moving as fast as possible on 55mph roads. The 50cc is a 2 stroke so I don’t think WOT all the time will hurt it any but I will admit at 260lb and WOT my 50cc only gets a little over 60mpg.
jav

Post by jav »

I'm told by the dealer that it was bone stock but destricted (it will indicate 45MPH on flat gorund with me on it 220 lbs). It is broken in with 705 miles on it.

I'd love to see 55 MPH indicated but after quite a bit if reading, I just don't see how to get there reliably... I don't want to change the cylinder and the pipe/jetting seems to be hit or miss?

I've been trying to find info on variator sliders but the search doesn't do a great job of isolating "50" threads. Of the reading I've done, it seems stage 1 may provide better acceleration but very limited benefit to top end.

Am I incorrect?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Problem? Probably a matter of definition. A 2T 50cc engine will typically have a significantly shorter life span than a larger displacement 4T. A kitted engine, even a shorter lifespan. But you probably knew that going in.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't ride my 50cc WOT "all the time", since a lot of my riding is on 35mph roads, but I'm pretty close to it a lot. And when I'm riding cross-country I do quite a bit of WOT for a few hours at a time (with stops for fuel). It hasn't been a problem yet. But then, I've only put 22K miles on it so far. ;)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

When I had mine it was rejetted with a performance exhaust, springs, rollers ect. I could do 45/50mph all day WOT and I never had any issues but I always rode in the city so there where plenty of stop lights to give it a rest. I suppose if you where riding in hot weather on rural roads for long stretches it could be an issue.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Roughhouse808

Post by Roughhouse808 »

22K miles on your Buddy? Any major fixes? Is it stock?

And for the full throttle issue, I haven't found it to be a problem since derestriction (I waited till 500 miles). [/quote]
TVB

Post by TVB »

Roughhouse808 wrote:22K miles on your Buddy? Any major fixes? Is it stock?
Stock, derestricted. The only mechanical work I've had done on it has been periodic service and replacing "consumables" (plugs, filters, tires, multiple times; brake pads, belt, rollers, battery, once each ... and of course oil and fuel hundreds of times). The exhaust pipe is getting pretty corroded and flaking, and I think it's getting louder, so that'll probably have to be replaced soonish.
Last edited by TVB on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuangtzu

Re: Is constant full throttle riding a problem on the 50?

Post by chuangtzu »

jav wrote:per the subject line - I find myslef riding full throttle almost all the time on the 50. Problem or no?
I did not know there was any other way to ride it.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I rode my Metro 50cc 4 stroke 120 miles today, at least a couple of hours at a time were wot. Of course it has a radiator, but I also don't know how you could ride a 50 cc bike any other way outside of busy city streets. I did put in an extended high speed plug. I think overheating generally occurs when idling anyway, not high speeds when lots of air is circulating. If you had a temp gauge, you would see the temp rise when stopped and drop when moving. Of course once you ride it hard and get the oil and engine temp up and then idle in stalled traffic in 100F, sunny weather, that is the real test.... typical Texas weather for June-August.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I rode a stock but derestricted one wfo for about 30 miles averaging 45 MPH the whole way. would I do it all the time? no, even a 2T has it limits, and you will shorten the lifespan, but it will take it; just try to give it a little breather now and then, when you can :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I'm still breaking in my Buddy 50, so I'm trying not to ride it full-throttle for extended periods yet. It's derestricted, though, and I have found that without too much pushing I can get up to 45 mph indicated (which is around 40 for my scoot). Full throttle on a straight, flat road after riding at a good speed for a bit? I got it up to almost 50. :D

With my Metro, I pretty much rode it full throttle all the time once I got comfortable enough with it to actually ride full throttle. (I was a scooter noob when I got my Metro) I live in a somewhat hilly area, and full throttle on that Metro going up and down hills? I topped out at maybe 25, haha.

But yeah. Most of my driving is city driving, with the occasional trip out to the country, so I don't ride mine at full throttle often, or for very long - usually just for a short burst to get me up a hill.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Since my scooter was given to me and is not really an investment or new, I don't mind testing the wot all the time theory of scooter riding. Well, I suppose getting stranded a hundred miles away isn't all that great, but really I think these small engines are bullet proof. I've never heard of one blowing up unless there was no oil. I do still take good care of it...change the oil, warm it up before riding. I just wring it out once I do ride it.