Another scooter/car accident whith unfortunate results

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dsmith65

Another scooter/car accident whith unfortunate results

Post by dsmith65 »

MB #2349
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Sad to hear this. Looks like he was the victim of a left-turning cager... :fp: :livid:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
RexM

My biggest fear

Post by RexM »

I've been thinking a lot about left-turners lately, and wondering what, if any is the best defense. In Proficient Motorcycling Hough makes a solid case for braking—warming up the brake as you approach and quick stopping as the correct evasive maneuver if the car does turn. I totally agree, but it still seems like there is a moment when you're past the point of no return—the car didn't turn during your approach, but if it turned now braking would be no use. Throttle could save you by getting you past the car's line of progress but it could also increase the impact if you misjudged your position and speed. Is there any defense at that point, or is it just one of those things in life where there's a brief, unavoidable risk exposure and you thank your particular deity every time you pass safely?

I apologize if this seems like a thread-jack, but it also seems appropriate given the topic.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Very sad. I am always worried about people turning in front of me. I had someone do that to me when I was driving my car back in February. Had I been on the scooter, I most likely wouldn't be here now. People have too many distractions these days and when driving, actually driving is probably 3rd or 4th on their list of priorities.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I tell you what all....I've been riding motorcycles for well over 40 years, closer to 50, and I've been very lucky to have not been involved in one of these. I guess "luck" really isn't an accurate word, more like ever Vigilence, and awareness on my part. I've had a couple in my life that I was sure, it was ALL OVER...and it was merely inches that saved me.....
It's never been worse then since I got my Buddy.. I've had some really close calls, where I know people saw me, and turned anyway. I think the biggest problem is their brain.. They look, they see a small scooter, and in their head, they are thinking...."it's probably going really slow like a bicycle" and they go for it. Of course they aren't used to scooters going 50 or 60 mph, and that's no excuse, but I think a valid reason. Number 2, is when they see that small scooter, they are thinking it's too small to hurt them., unlike a car or large motorcycle...
People are really in a hurry these days and lots of people don't want to get "trapped" behind a slow scooter, so they will risk that Riders life, to save themselves a few seconds...
Be ever Cautious, and never take any situation for granted...Be Prepared for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING............
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

The always be aware is the best advise. Always expect that a potential left turner is out to get you if they possibly can. I have found that the headlight modulators do get the left turner's attention but still don't trust them.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Visibility is the primary reason I wear an orange mohawk on an orange scooter. I also am running LED deadlights. I often keep the brakes covered. I had 2 close calls in my truck last month just days apart. One turning left in front of me. Me in a White truck with DRL's and didn't see me, he panicked stopped and cover my whole lane and half the neighboring lane which was occupied. I finished stopping in the median beside him. The other pulled out in front of me, he never looked my way. I watched his face the whole time. I saw it coming and intentionally stop short with horn blaring a few feet away.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I'm with the "expect it, prepare for it, do what you can to avoid it, and still expect it" train of thought. I cover the brake, slow, and as much as I can stare at the driver and the wheels simultaneously until I am safely past.

Additionally, I installed a Stebel Nautilus horn onto the Wolf last night, and have a pair of 1200 lumen LED riding lights on the way (on sale at Woot.com for only $129/pair until tomorrow AM). I don't plan to aim them so that they blind people, but do want their brilliance in order that people might see me easier, and that I might see deer easier. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Wow, my sympathies to the victim's family and the driver too as of course this was not intentional ( and I am not aware of extenuating circumstances such as intoxication or texting or what not). I've been reading More Proficiant Motorcycling as a refresher and for sure covering the front brake is important as a habit even though you may only need it 1:500 times in an urgent situation. Its really important in blind corners too btw...dont rely on engine braking for all slowing as if something sudden happens milliseconds count.

Also the safety vest can really can have an impact. I just got a fluorescent yellow with reflective tape. It is explained because the color is not found in nature it is more likely to have an impact (I had an orange one). Finally some things that may or may not be intuitive regarding our friends, the left turners...
Look at the wheels, if they start to move or turn, beware. BUT before this happens, the front of the car will rise, this signifies the car has begun to accelerate. I think I have internalized much of this and respond in kind, but
since reading this,have been taking the time to actually analyze this and it is pretty darn good advice.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Tazio wrote:The always be aware is the best advise. Always expect that a potential left turner is out to get you if they possibly can. I have found that the headlight modulators do get the left turner's attention but still don't trust them.
I've read what they mean is too open to interpretation " why thank you for flashing your light, letting me turn in front of you"
Syd

Post by Syd »

Right at the end of the story the reporter say: "Police say it is possible that the accident was caused by the car's driver, but the investigation...". I wonder how he figured that out? The scoot and its dying rider on the right side of the road with a car on top of it? Cripes.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Here's an updated story.

Pertinent lines:

Bunch [the driver] told authorities that he did not see the scooter. There was no evidence at the scene that Bunch was impaired.

The preliminary contributing factor to this crash, the news release said, was failure to yield on the part of Bunch. The investigation is continuing.
Syd

Post by Syd »

That's good, but if Bunch doesn't get ticketed the poor dead guy's family may well be out in the cold. Something very similar is happening to a friend (NSR friend). Bunch should be ticketed for at least an illegal turn, or failure to control or some such.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

many don't see us, others simply don't care even if they do. nothing left to do but lookout for #1, stay alert, and be ready to brake, slow, stop, evade, or lay it down if possible

just something, anything, to make any potential impact a lesser impact

condolences :(
Riding is riding