Best 250cc, 300cc, 350cc, et al Touring Scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Best 250cc, 300cc, 350cc, et al Touring Scooters

Post by skipper20 »

I started these threads thinking I needed an upgrade from my '02 Honda Reflex 250 scooter. All of your responses were very informative and extremely helpful. I sincerely thank each and every one of you who took the time to respond and share your thoughts with me. You are truly a great group.

But, I've decided to go with what I have. Not because I think it's a better scooter than what you have all suggested. I just feel comfortable with it. It's like an old friend who's seen some interesting sights with me and has always gotten me there and back in one piece and with a high degree of reliability and comfort. It's been loyal to me so I'm going to be loyal to it. For as long as I'm able to ride (I just turned 80) it will be my touring scooter of choice.

Bill in Seattle :)
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'02 Honda Reflex 250
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

great, skipper. you're 80? well, i'm inspired to keep right on riding. its good to know i can get into my senior years and still have this love and interest alive

keep that rubber down at least another 80 :)
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sounds okay to me. If the Reflex meets your needs for the kind of touring you want to do, then that is certainly good enough. Plan great adventures, ride, and enjoy!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good decision, Skipper. I am 77 and plan to be riding the Silver Bullet when I reach 80 and beyond. Might go to the hack to do it but see no reason not to
keep riding as long as I am fit. :D
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

skipper and wolfhound, you are both inspirations to me! I want to stay healthy and keep riding for many years to come. It's kind of funny I actually have staying strong for scooter riding as a goal when I am in the gym. When did you guys take up riding?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

peabody99 wrote:skipper and wolfhound, you are both inspirations to me! I want to stay healthy and keep riding for many years to come. It's kind of funny I actually have staying strong for scooter riding as a goal when I am in the gym. When did you guys take up riding?
My first scoot was a used Puch 49cc moped purchased in the late 80s. It was a true moped as it had pedals and that's how you started it. But, it was a real money pit and left an exhaust smoke trail a half mile long so I dumped it and bought a mountain bike. Got the scooter bug again in 2007 and bought a brand new Yamaha Vino 125 at the young age of 74. 2 years later I sold it to one of my sons and bought a new Yamaha Majesty 400. It was subsequently traded to one of our list members for cash and a Buddy 125 (I'm sure she remembers the transaction!). The Buddy was sold to a couple in LaConner, WA and I won't bore you with the rest of my transactions as they have been numerous. Suffice it to say I enjoy riding and I plan on doing it as long as I can physically get on and off the scooter. I did have one bad accident in 2011 which put me in the hospital and a rehab facility for 17 days. From it I learned to be more cautious and to ride more defensively. Anyway, thanks for asking and happy scooting! :)

Bill in Seattle
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Back in the late 40s I had a Velo Solex and a Whizzer. In the early 60s
I had a Sears (Pugh, i think) motorcycle, 3 speed as I remember, not very fast.
Did not get back into riding til 5 years ago. Have had 2 Tanks, a 150 and a 250, a Tomos Revival, a TGB Del. 50(all traded or sold along the way) and now have the 3 shown on my masthead and an IckyBear Ruckus type trike that I only ride on the property--when it is running.
I started working out in 1982 and am still at it, mostly weight training. Am in pretty good health as a result of it.
:wink: :wink:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

It's funny you both had a huge gap between riding and rediscovery. Once I got on that scoot for the first time, it was hard to imagine any other way of living :D Glad you both rediscovered a happy hobby, thanks for sharing!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Peabody, how I got back to riding is a long story for another time. If someone brings it us as a topic I might tell the story. :wink: