The Scooter Diaries kickstarter!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

craftynerd

The Scooter Diaries kickstarter!

Post by craftynerd »

My husband found this Kickstarter project shared on the Genuine Scooter Company Facebook page - it looks pretty interesting, and I figured I'd share it here! The story is about a man and his wife and their scooter's travels around Latin America. I hope it gets funded - it looks like a good story!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/928 ... er-diaries
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I'm in. Thanks for the heads up!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Video interview with Tove (the mother/girl in the story) is up. What an incredible story and person. I know few people who would have the guts to do what she did! :)

http://youtu.be/LjCxusGI9y0
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I wrote about this from ScooterFile and had a little correspondence with the author. Such an amazing story. I really want to read the whole book!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

That is such a charming story. I would love to read it.

Brave people are absolutely the best. I can't stop thinking of the Kerouac fireworks part from On The Road:
...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

This is a truly epic tale in every sense. I can't wait to read the whole adventure!
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'm in. I'm not only inspired and want to hear all the neat stories, I think the project itself is sweet AND love it anytime scootering gets recognition out there, you know, amongst all those boring people.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

4 days to go, and only (almost) 50% funded.

Canada to Peru on a 150cc scoot, two-up, just married, at the end of the 50's - it should be a GREAT story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/928 ... er-diaries
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'd like to see this make it as well .... these type of stories are right up my alley.

Why is there a time limit on the funding as long as things aren't stagnant?

I didn't contribute, but I'll keep an eye on this and if it starts looking possible, I'll jump in.

ROb
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Hi Rob -

Re: the time limit, it is just a kickstarter.com policy - IDK why it is what it is...

As far as waiting to 'jump in' - when you make a pledge, there is no charge or fee to you until the original Goal amount is met by Pledges from folks like yourself (and me :) ). So it does not cost you a thing up front, you are only committing to buying a copy/involvement at the level you choose *if the project makes the goal*.

Tell 'em you're in with a Pledge, help it make it to the Goal, and we all get to see the final product. It won't cost you anything to sign up and choose your own level of Pledge - and when people see it getting closer, more will join in :)

Spread the word!
Gordon Bowman

The Scooter Diaries and Kickstarter

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Hi everyone,

I was told there was a conversation going on here about The Scooter Diaries book and its Kickstarter campaign, so I thought I'd join the forum and jump in.

There's less than 4 days left in the campaign, and unfortunately I can't extend it even though it is just now starting to really gather steam. We went from 43% funding to almost 50% yesterday, which is fantastic, but there's still halfway to go. So I'm trying my best to get the word out there.

Being the son of Ron and Tove Bowman, I know I'm biased, but I really do think this is a great and unique story. There are a lot of long distance motorcycle adventure books out there, but not many long distance "scooter" adventure books. And none that are set in 1959 - 1960! When I heard my parents tell their stories around the dinner table as a kid, I didn't realize just how incredible the story was. Who gets married after just three weeks of dating, then travels over 10,000 miles, through deep-rutted dirt roads, through cobblestone roads, through volcanic dust, through the Andes mountains, through bandito country -- on a 150cc scooter? No one. Because it's plain crazy. Yet they ever thought twice about it.

After my father's passing, when I discovered his manuscript apparently written right after his adventure, I knew I had to finish it. Not just because it's a fitting tribute, but because I honestly think this is an amazing story that the world should know about. And what scooter lover wouldn't like a story like this?

I hope you will consider supporting this book by pledging on Kickstarter. You actually get a copy of the book in return, so it's really just preordering -- except you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you actually helped to print the book too. And you only pay IF we meet the funding goal. And the book is already written, laid out with beautiful photos and ready to print, so there's no risk to pledging.

Best wishes, and if you like this story I hope you'll spread the word over the next four days.

Gord

http://kickstarter.thescooterdiaries.com
http://www.facebook.com/thescooterdiaries
http://thescooterdiaries.com
https://twitter.com/scooterdiaries
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Hi Gordon -

I remember you mentioning the Maptia site, but only now went there. Neat! You really do have some great pi
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

what an AWESOME project. thanks for sharing and thanks to Gordon for visiting and sharing his parents' amazing story. i hope this gets off the ground and that i can have my own copy of this book, signed by that intrepid adventuress, tove!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

I hope this project gets funded and I will buy a copy of the book if it is published, but first I balked at having to create a Kickstarter account. So I finally got myself over that mental hurdle, and find Kickstarter wants my cc information immediately and obviously have to keep it on file at least until the project deadline expires.

I recognize many people are okay with setting up an account and giving payment information in advance, but I'm just not. And I do hate it because it does sound like a great book. I hope it gets funded!
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

RR - Just an FYI - I was a little hesitant as well, but went through with it, and here is what I found out.

What Kickstarter does is to charge the card for $1 to make sure the account is legit, and then they immediately refund the $1 once the transaction gets approved. I would guess that this is to ensure that the pledges are legit & will be honored.

I registered ~2 weeks ago and there has been no other Kickstarter-related activity in my account since then.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm in! Let's go modern Buddy. If we don't don't chip in, none of us will have the chance to read this great story.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm in as well. Hope this project makes it.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I already chipped in, not long after I posted about the Kickstarter. I really hope it gets funded!
Gordon Bowman

Thanks!

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Thanks for all your support, everyone. The campaign is building steam. It's at 63% with 34 hours to go. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've contributed to projects through Kickstarter, and it really is safe to give them your credit info. The only real risk to contributors is that Kickstarter has no mechanism for ensuring that the project gets carried out. There have been a few recipients who were just too incompetent or suffered from lottery-winner syndrome, but with a labor-of-love project like this, I'd be perfectly comfortable investing whatever amount I felt I could spare on it. And I have.

If the funding goal doesn't get reached, Kickstarter has previously allowed projects to make changes to the proposal and start over and go through the funding process again, but it's hard to catch lighting a second time, so it's far better to get it over the threshold now.
Gordon Bowman

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Hey, TVB. You're right, I'm allowed to start over on Kickstarter. But it would be so hard to get people hyped up again, plus after 30 days, I can honestly say that I am exhausted -- it's like running an election campaign! So this is it, now or never. :)

It's currently at 66% with 29 hours left to go.

Also, the book is completely written (although I'm going to add one more great story to the Honduras chapter, which my Mom just told me last weekend) and I have a printer already lined up, so there's no risk of not getting the book.

The other day on the Kickstarter page, I added lots of links at the bottom to all the interviews, videos and articles that have happened over the past month:

http://kickstarter.thescooterdiaries.com

By the way, I noticed earlier today that legendary motorcycle adventurer Austin Vince actually shared the link to the Kickstarter project on his Facebook page and told people to "Watch this video." Pretty cool, eh? :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gordon, you're doing a great job! I posted everywhere I could think of or have access to, at least once and checked some other places to make sure someone had posted about it.

Best of luck!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Gordon Bowman

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Thanks, Eric! Just 24% left to go in 8 hours. That shouldn't be too hard, eh? :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Made it! With minutes to spare!
Gordon Bowman

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Woohoo! :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, really down to the wire. Suspenseful!

I'd personally like to thank everyone who pledged. Can't wait to read this.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

He made it! That makes us all winners since we will all have access to this great story. Can't wait to read it.

Howard
Gordon Bowman

Post by Gordon Bowman »

Thank you to everyone for all your support! Can't believe we made it. I can't wait to get this book printed and in your hands. :)
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

this is so exciting. i can't wait to get my tove-signed book! thanks for doing all the work to give us all what looks to be such a delicious-sounding adventure. happy dance. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I woke up this morning and saw that the Kickstarter had been funded! YAY! I'm so excited to get the digital copy in my hands, so to speak, and read the story! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:He made it! That makes us all winners since we will all have access to this great story. Can't wait to read it.
Howard, was that you who posted it to the Helix Yahoo! group? Just checking all my cross-form cross-Internet connections! :)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

ericalm wrote:
Howardr wrote:He made it! That makes us all winners since we will all have access to this great story. Can't wait to read it.
Howard, was that you who posted it to the Helix Yahoo! group? Just checking all my cross-form cross-Internet connections! :)
Yup! That was me. Welcome to the Helix group!

Howard
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was very surprised and pleased to see this project make the deadline. Just goes to show you what you can achieve with a little hard work and perseverance.

This should make for some good reading in the non-riding, winter months.

Thanks to Crafty Nerd for the OP.

Rob
- Steven Wright
az_slynch

It's Here!

Post by az_slynch »

I was surprised to find my postman delivering on a Sunday.

I was delighted to receive my copy of The Scooter Diaries in today's mail. Signed by the adventuress, Tove Bowman herself!

I hope all of you who contributed to the KickStarter and ordered the book have either received it or receive it soon. For anyone that just chipped in to help meet the KickStarter goal, thank you...it's a beautiful book!

Good work, Gordon! Thank you for sharing this tale with us.

:D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Rob

Post by Rob »

I haven't received my copy as of yet. Anyone else?

I did get an email reminding me to, if I hadn't already done so, to supply my address. That was done far in advance of receiving that email.

Rob
- Steven Wright
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

I am sure someone else has at least thought this yet we see an incredible movie being made form this story.

And we want to get the book too!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Spoke too soon. The book was here when I arrived home today.

It's already in my wife's hands, so I'll get a shot at it when she's done.

Rob
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

MYSCTR wrote:I am sure someone else has at least thought this yet we see an incredible movie being made form this story.
Until then, we'll have to make do with this. :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:I am sure someone else has at least thought this yet we see an incredible movie being made form this story.
Until then, we'll have to make do with this. :)
Had me there for a minute!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Still waiting for my copy. :cry:

I downloaded my digital copy, but there's nothing like holding a book.

Howard
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Howardr wrote:Still waiting for my copy. :cry:

I downloaded my digital copy, but there's nothing like holding a book.

Howard
This guy, he got his hard copy today. Yes MB, there is a Santa Claus. He just fell behind schedule and came on the Feast of the Magi instead. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

If you missed the Kickstarter, the book is now available for purchase on the site. Not shilling, more like cheerleading. It's a great story and a handsome book.

http://thescooterdiaries.com/purchase/

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm getting a copy!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm assuming all or most have received this same email. Anyway, just to make sure ... Apparently the Kickstarter site has been hacked. Along with the usual guarantees that they don't believe any financial information has been compromised, they are strongly recommending that you change your Kickstart password as we'll at any other site where you might use the same info.

This is the first time I've contributed to a Kickstarter initiative and while it might be unfair to them, it will be my last.

Yet another reason to go over each and every CC statement with a fine tooth comb. We'll that and being married to a shopaholic :D

Rob
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:This is the first time I've contributed to a Kickstarter initiative and while it might be unfair to them, it will be my last.
Yes, it is. Especially since they don't even have your full credit card information on file to be stolen. Kickstarter contributions are processed through Amazon's payment service (if you were paying attention, you should recall that you were directed to that sight when you pledged), so the only info KS has on file is what they get from Amazon for confirmation purposes (last 4 digits plus expiration date).
Rob

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:
Rob wrote:This is the first time I've contributed to a Kickstarter initiative and while it might be unfair to them, it will be my last.
Yes, it is. Especially since they don't even have your full credit card information on file to be stolen. Kickstarter contributions are processed through Amazon's payment service (if you were paying attention, you should recall that you were directed to that sight when you pledged), so the only info KS has on file is what they get from Amazon for confirmation purposes (last 4 digits plus expiration date).
You know, I was paying attention when I contributed. But without photographic recall, unless I go back and step through every detail of the purchase (which I don't particularly care to do), I'm just to respond to these things in a general and what I deem to be, the safest way possible.

And Kickstarter did acknowledge that other info such as the password could be compromised.

Overall, this was just a heads up for others that might not have received word.

Please lose the snarky tone and attitude. I really don't need it.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read the original Motorcycle Diaries.? I know Che is hardly the poster boy Except for rebels around the world but at least the trip itself sounds interesting http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moto ... ies_(book)
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur