Anyone else just have a belt snap?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

Anyone else just have a belt snap?

Post by jijifer »

are you using a Dr. Pulley performance variator?

With only 2.6kmiles on the belt, once again, 40miles from home, before 8am going fast down a hill - my belt broke. This time it locked up the back wheel and I could smell the rubber burning instantly. NOT COOL. VERY SCARY.

Having scooted 28k miles before I ever broke a belt, I really didn't worry about the belt. Got it replaced when it was due and no worries. The belt that shredded in July was SHREDDED. fibers and junk all up in my business.

Yesterday the belt that broke was FINE in every regard. No signs of stress or strain and it literally just snapped.

I don't know anything about the mechanics of a scooter. The dr pulley variator was put on 1.8k miles ago. I was thinking how "smooth" it all was just before it broke. Before that, I had the NCY tranny for about 15k miles. put the dr pulley in after that belt shred in july because it was told it was on it's last legs.

Again never had a belt break before and now 2 since July. and this break. just snapping in a single space with no signs of other wear is just really freaky.

is anyone else busting belts in fewer than 3k? anyone with a Dr. Pulley variator breaking belts?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I have the Dr. Pulley variator and some other performance mods in my transmission.
Never had a belt break and I ride the heck out of my scooter.
The one that "shredded", was it kevlar by any chance? I've heard that's an issue with the kevlar belts; they fall to pieces. Whereas the rubber belts will just snap.

Glad you're OK!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone else just have a belt snap?

Post by jrsjr »

jijifer wrote:With only 2.6kmiles on the belt, once again, 40miles from home, before 8am going fast down a hill - my belt broke. This time it locked up the back wheel and I could smell the rubber burning instantly. NOT COOL. VERY SCARY.
Damn, girl. What happened to you, locking up the rear wheel, is the worst case scenario. You are lucky not to have crashed, is the truth of it. I have seen some "performance" belts break with very few miles on them, which is one good reason I stay away from anything that says, "performance" on my bikes. On the other hand, I have read at least once of an OEM belt just snapping for no good reason with low miles on it. There has to be some good explanation for this happening, but I don't know what it is. I'm just glad you didn't get hurt. Way to keep your cool. 8)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Has the driven clutch been serviced recently? There are three rollers in the sliding sheave section that need cleaning and greasing from time to time. If you have a driven clutch with a torque reduction bearing in it (keeps the contra spring from twisting when the sheave moves out), that needs cleaning and lubrication from time to time too. Either of these can cause the driven clutch to bind when actuating, and can over stress the belt. Howard had this problem with his NCY driven clutch until it was dismantled, cleaned and serviced. Cost him two belts, too.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

az_slynch wrote:Has the driven clutch been serviced recently? There are three rollers in the sliding sheave section that need cleaning and greasing from time to time. If you have a driven clutch with a torque reduction bearing in it (keeps the contra spring from twisting when the sheave moves out), that needs cleaning and lubrication from time to time too. Either of these can cause the driven clutch to bind when actuating, and can over stress the belt. Howard had this problem with his NCY driven clutch until it was dismantled, cleaned and serviced. Cost him two belts, too.
when talking with a recent shop owner about CVT service he mentioned this. i asked about "belt, rollers, full CVT service, etc" and the cost. right off he said "well it could be a bit more depending on how the clutch looks. we like to get in there and take a look at it because it may need....." and he went on and on

he said a few things but it made sense to me
Riding is riding
WileE

Post by WileE »

My previous scoot (TN'G Milano) had a problem with belts. Twice the belt broke around 4000km. I did have a Dr. Pulley variator on at the time. I made two changes after that: changed the air intake to the cvt (more air in), and bought a bando belt. That belt has well over 4000km and hasn't broken.

I think the quality of the belt plays a big part.

Glad you are ok! When my belts broke, I just lost power. Engine revved, but nobody was home.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

If you are going down hill reaching higher than normal speeds, the belt can ride too high on the variator and rub on the case causing belt failure.

Only way to avoid that is a limiting washer for the variator.

If you have a modified engine, taller rear end gearing will also avoid excessive transitioning of your variator
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

my clutch and variator have less than 2k on them too. the belt that shredded was 1.8k miles ago and since then i replaces the clutch and variator with the dr. pulley stuff.

I haven't really trusted my scooter since :( it sucks.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

when trying to keep a scooter reliable i have heard from several sources, usually shop owners and mechanics, to keep things stock. and if not you should change all related parts, not just a variator or clutch spring and what have you

parts meant to produce higher performance put a greater strain on other parts. those other parts and things related become more likely to fail, or cause failures other places

this is only what i have heard from some who know better. stay as close to stock as possible unless you're going to "do it right" in regard to upgrades
Riding is riding
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

You should do the variator test of making a line on your variator face and do a ride with the bike and see where it gets rubbed off. I bet it goes to the top.

Also look for belt wear on the outside of the belt, if it travels too far and rubs on engine case. If this happens you will need limiting spacer in the variator.