Me and My Big Head

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Me and My Big Head

Post by RoaringTodd »

Walked into Cycle Gear to shop for some cold weather gear - and saw some helmets on sale.

Modular Helmets - $99.

Bilt brand mostly.

Tried them on. XL. Did not fit. One style fit, but just barely. It was pressing hard against my forehead. I'd bet that it would become a issue after a few miles in the saddle.

So - same story as for me when I shop for hats. They never fit. Every store I go to, I try on hats, and they don't have my size. On the rare occurance I find a hat, that actually does fit, I must buy it. I have a total of 3 hats. :| I would define my head as long and oval, not necessarily big.

I have been using a 3/4 helmet that isn't that great of a fit, and it's time for a replacement. :helmet:

Someone suggested Shoei or HTJ. Does anyone have any idea of what brand I could try that does not kill my budget? I know Revzilla sells some of the models that may fit, however, I don't have room in my budget for a $600 helmet. ( I bought both my scooters for $600 combined!)
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I've got a Sparx S-07 full face helmet, $99 and it's probably the most comfortable helmet i've ever tried on. Not modular, but good for winter riding. I rotate between that and my HJC 3/4 in the summertime.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i like Sparx helmets and some are on year end closeout atm. going pretty fast from what i can tell. if on a budget imo this is one of the best quality lids you can have. i like the price but they also fit my big head right. i haven't time to run around trying things on or waste time sending things back that don't fit. these helmets fit my big head, good enough

XL S-07's with graphics

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-S-07-Graphi ... arx+helmet

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Limited-Edi ... sparx+s-07

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Special-Edi ... sparx+s-07

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Special-Edi ... sparx+s-07

XL Tracker in solid colors. this helmet has a more compact shell then the S-07 and is somewhat tighter. i felt the same pressure you did on the forehead so cut out some thick padding at the neck area. fits perfect, now. helmet also has a drop down / pop up sun visor. it should be noted all these models can be had at the same prices in XXL, too. to get closeout prices buy from PowerSport SuperStore or Faye's Motorcycle World. others on Amazon are still asking full price

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Tracker-Sol ... rx+tracker

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Tracker-Sol ... rx+tracker

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Tracker-Gra ... rx+tracker

this 3/4 model is on sale, too. FC-07

http://www.amazon.com/Sparx-Graphics-He ... parx+fc-07

Sparx Website

http://www.sparxhelmets.com/
Riding is riding
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

HJC helmet are reasonably priced and fit my big head pretty well. Depending on brand and model, I wear anywhere from 3X to 5X. Bilt doesn't make a single helmet that will fit. :(
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I have the opposite problem: wide temples. I tired everything including $500+ Shoi and Arai. Neither fit right. I got Scorpion - that lasted couple of months until lining got worn in and than the torture started. I found on major sale a Vemar modular that was supposed to be wide at the forehead and narrower at the temples. I bought XL hoping it will give me enough room all around. I still felt pressure at the temples but it fit everywhere else more or less. So I compressed foam at the pressure areas. Not ideal but it sort of works and that is the only reasonably comfortable helmet I could find.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thing is, not all big heads are the same shape of big head.

I have the same problem. 7 3/4 hat size. I can't wear an adjustable or OSFA cap.

The best thing to do is go somewhere you can try on dozens. For me, this means the annual International Motorcycle Show.

Some modulars have more room. Some I can't close on my face at any size. Also, different models/makes have different shell sizes for various sizes. Most only have two sizes, but some have three, usually a bigger one for XXL and up.

My noggin is somewhat cylindrical. Some people have other issues with width or length or a single dimension. I recent;y tried on a solid full face and my chin stuck out the bottom about an inch or so. Pointless.

Modular/full helmets that have fit for me: Vega Summit modular in XXL, which has the largest interior space of any on the market (or did when it was released at least). GMax GM54S modular in XL, my current lid, which is better in quality than last version of the Vega. My chin is pretty close to the inside of the chinbar, though. Scorpion EXO full, XXL. Snug, but it fit. Shoei modular in XXL.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The only thing that I can wear is a half helmet. Glasses, hearing aide on one side, cochlear implant on the other creates a real problem Most full helmets
knock the aides odd. I am going to the motorcycle show in Atlanta(actually Marietta) and do as suggested--see if I can find one that fits and does not break the bank. :cry:
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks everyone - the consensus I have seen from everyone is Scorpion. I'll have to check that out.

Ericalm's idea of a motorcycle show is right on. I'll have to do that - closest one will be in DC.

Question -

Shaping the form on a helmet slightly to relieve a pressure point. Is this a big no-no, or can I get away with it? There was one helmet at Cycle Gear that fit somewhat, but the pressure point on the forehead gave me pause. I was thinking of shaving a little bit of foam off that area.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have a Cycle Gear store near by and I plan to visit it shortly to see if I can find one to fit. Interested in the Bilt modular unit on sale for $99.99 It is the Apollo Modular unit with the drop down chin guard. Hopefully I can find something in that style that fits and that I can afford.

Growing old is inevitable, being old is not! :wink:
Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

Chalk up another fan of the Sparx S-07 full-face helmets. I have two, and for the price, the quality is excellent. Many styles to choose from, and they come in larger sizes. Well reviewed, and can't be beat for a $100 helmet.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

You said budget but, the only company making different helmet shapes is Arai. They have a long oval. Look at their webpage as I can't remember which model it is. Then check eBay for the best deal.

I bought a Vector 2 by Arai for $250 shipped.

For fit and comfort, Arai is the only brand that works for me. I wear a large but have a similar head shape(long or oval) and other helmets put pressure on my forehead.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

RoaringTodd wrote:Question -

Shaping the form on a helmet slightly to relieve a pressure point. Is this a big no-no, or can I get away with it? There was one helmet at Cycle Gear that fit somewhat, but the pressure point on the forehead gave me pause. I was thinking of shaving a little bit of foam off that area.
The padding will compress over time, often in just a few days. A new helmet should feel snug and may even be a little uncomfortable at first, but it should loosen up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Question -

The padding will compress over time, often in just a few days. A new helmet should feel snug and may even be a little uncomfortable at first, but it should loosen up.
this is true. nonetheless i modified the Tracker i ordered as i couldn't imagine it would ever fit. now it fits perfect and i haven't reinserted the padding. pretty sure it was there to soften a minor blow and add comfort as i can't imagine it would shield a neck from any sort of serious injury the shell and headliner would not already taken care of. this stuff is like big pillow padding. so it stays out
Dirvin wrote:Chalk up another fan of the Sparx S-07 full-face helmets. I have two, and for the price, the quality is excellent. Many styles to choose from, and they come in larger sizes. Well reviewed, and can't be beat for a $100 helmet.
you would most likely like the Tracker. it is lighter then the S-07, another light helmet. but the Tracker is so light i never notice its on my head, really. it also has a more "fitted" feel and seems lees cumbersome. for $65 atm if you need a helmet, it really is a steal. or if you don't have a Hi-Viz helmet but would like one, here is a great deal.

but anyway seems Sparx still has too much value built in for a lot of riders. they'd rather spend twice as much on a helmet. some have reasons like design and aesthetics, but Sparx gives comfort, good airflow, and lightweight along with a good, safe helmet. and if its going to be a solid white helmet, anyway? yeah, $65 will never be beat. i paid more for mine :x

at 3:10 of this video he puts the helmet on a blue base. the thick padding at the lower neck area of the headliner is what i removed. two snaps are behind it which attach the liner to the helmet. if you order a Tracker know that imo it feels smaller then the S-07

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lRtjA-lhdkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

oh man, now i have to go look for that fancy helmet thread. or just wait for a link to show up here later

:hit:
Riding is riding
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I love my HJC IS-MAX. I ride with it open when it's nice out and I have the option to throw it closed on faster roads or incliment weather. On big adventures, I like the ability to use an aqua pack easily or have a conversation at a red light. I think I paid less than $150 for it. It also has pocket inserts for helmet speakers, added bonus.
RoaringTodd wrote:Ericalm's idea of a motorcycle show is right on. I'll have to do that - closest one will be in DC.
You'll get some good deals at the show, but you shouldn't come to the show just to try helmets. Think about how much it will cost you to get to and from DC, plus parking, plus admission, and spending the entire day away from home. I went to the show once and it was very crotch-rocket oriented, barely anything scooter related.

You're close to Philadelphia, go check out Revzilla. They have a showroom where you can try helmets on all day. I've ordered things from them and sent them back for exchanges very easily, they're a great online retailer. Double bonus that they have a local store near you!

http://www.revzilla.com/philadelphia-gear-boutique
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:You're close to Philadelphia, go check out Revzilla. They have a showroom where you can try helmets on all day. I've ordered things from them and sent them back for exchanges very easily, they're a great online retailer. Double bonus that they have a local store near you!

There's a store?!? Aw, man!

Oddly enough, though SoCal is one of the biggest bike markets in the country, we have very little in terms of selection. Nothing like Revzilla.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
You'll get some good deals at the show, but you shouldn't come to the show just to try helmets. Think about how much it will cost you to get to and from DC, plus parking, plus admission, and spending the entire day away from home. I went to the show once and it was very crotch-rocket oriented, barely anything scooter related.

You're close to Philadelphia, go check out Revzilla. They have a showroom where you can try helmets on all day. I've ordered things from them and sent them back for exchanges very easily, they're a great online retailer. Double bonus that they have a local store near you!

Thanks for the advise - I have friends in DC so it would have been a good excuse to pop over for a visit. I have been to the Revzilla store. It's a short hop over the bridge for me. Very nice store with high end products.

Thanks everyone for the input. I went to Cycle Gear again last Saturday and was able to find a full face helmet that fit. It wasn't in my preferred color, but it fits comfortably and will do me fine for the colder weather riding. Best part is the manager at Cycle Gear was willing to give me the price of a lower priced helmet because they did not have the size I needed.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm another big headed HJC fan. I've tried many through the years and have spent big bucks on my helmets, but in general, the HJC seem to offer the best fit and comfort for me.

But as others have said, nothing beats trying on a hat before you buy. Again, expect a semi-tight fit from the get go .... things will get better over time.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright