2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 & 500

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

My neighbor waits for parts all the time, well for the last 25 years or so since he started riding Ducati's and Moto Guzzi....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
RexM

Harley Jokes

Post by RexM »

I remembered this morning that I know two Harley jokes, told to me by a salty old Harley owner, so they are meant with affection (and probably oldies that everyone knows).

Ahem...

One
Q: What is the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a Harley?
A: The location of the dirtbag.
Two
Q: What do Harleys and dogs have in common?
A: They both love to ride in the back of trucks!
Badump bump! Thank you ladies and gentlemen, you've been a lovely audience. I'm here all week. Try the veal.
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I wish Harley would make an automatic transmission bike. I like the look but I would want a bike I was sure to be able to ride well into my 70's. IN my case with bad hip that means no shifting.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

not so great first impressions from a "99%" finished bike

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harle ... 00-review/
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stormswift wrote:I wish Harley would make an automatic transmission bike.
These are their first new models in 13 years. How long can you wait?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

JHScoot wrote:not so great first impressions from a "99%" finished bike

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harle ... 00-review/
Who knows, the production version might be a characterless, gutless pig, but using a review of a 'restricted and modified for MSF' Street 500 by a guy who rides performance liter bikes as a basis for expected performance of the production model is a stretch. IMHO, YOMV.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yeah, this wasn't a "review" so much as "we interviewed a guy who rode one." Kind of a stretch.

Still, some of the comments about build quality, etc. sound a little disappointing but not too surprising,
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Re: Harley Jokes

Post by Dooglas »

RexM wrote:I remembered this morning that I know two Harley jokes,
Well, if we are going to tell old Harley jokes.....

Three
Q: Did you know that 80% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road?
A: Most of the rest made it home under their own power.
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

ericalm wrote:Yeah, this wasn't a "review" so much as "we interviewed a guy who rode one." Kind of a stretch.

Still, some of the comments about build quality, etc. sound a little disappointing but not too surprising,
Wes Siler is also not much of a Harley fan, or a fan of cruisers in general.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ohiotj wrote:
ericalm wrote:Yeah, this wasn't a "review" so much as "we interviewed a guy who rode one." Kind of a stretch.

Wes Siler is also not much of a Harley fan, or a fan of cruisers in general.
Yeah, that's all-too well known! These really aren't cruisers in that sense. And RideApart, since they got a big corporate sponsor, now has a cruiser guy contributing.

But the posts I saw (on FB and Twitter) made it seem as if they'd actually ridden it and were reviewing it, which just wasn't the case.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

SonnyD wrote:My neighbor waits for parts all the time, well for the last 25 years or so since he started riding Ducati's and Moto Guzzi....
So I guess it's still true. I hate that.

Anybody here old enough to remember when 750 was considered a big bike? I say this bc I was just looking back through this thread and saw Eric's mention of displacement creep. I mean, how big of a bike does it take to carry one adult as fast and far as he needs to go?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Southerner wrote:Anybody here old enough to remember when 750 was considered a big bike?
Sure. And I still consider a 750 a big bike. In my riding experience, bikes bigger than that give you more weight, more noise, and more bulk - what they don't give you is a more enjoyable ride. (apologies to the Goldwing crowd, for what is essentially the Honda Accord of motorcycles :wink: )
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

that part is concerning. i would think with Harley's current reputation for quality hardware and farkle up the wazoo they wouldn't want a smaller bike to be perceived as cheaply made in anyway. because who wants a small, cheaply made Harley? if that is the case just leave all the stuff off the bike and make a true naked bike

a closer look under the lights gives me some concern

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bTm4AhwGaj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JHScoot wrote:e to be perceived as cheaply made in anyway. because who wants a small, cheaply made Harley?
That, as they say, is the bazillion dollar question to which we are about to learn the answer. I have to tell you, when I went in the dealership to inquire about these bikes, they were super duper nice. Back in the day, dealerships might have looked askance at Buells, but they've clearly been coached that they're going to have to deal with a different breed of customer with the Street bikes and they are certainly making the effort. It remains to be seen whether this will pay off.

As for the comments about build quality. Hogwash. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:Anybody here old enough to remember when 750 was considered a big bike?
Yes. It still is. :wink:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Harley has been getting a lot of praise in the last 10 years at least for their build quality....These will be fine. I've been to the assembly plant in KC. many times and there is a lot of pride there for the people putting bikes together.. The American auto industry has done the same thing, lot better build quality then in the 80's. Harley workers have the extra incentive with the Worker/Owner relationship. As always, since I'm a long time Owner and rider, when I see comments about Breakdowns, oil leaks, and the other hold overs from the past, I know it's just Uninformed talk..by someone who hasn't actually ridden one...
and Yeah, I remember a 750 being a big bike and the 500 being the norm. And along with that extra weight of a bigger bike, you get a better ride, and more stability...and built for those of us that like to carry a passenger...It's all in what works for YOU.....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Syd

Post by Syd »

JHScoot wrote:

What about that video concerns you? I don't see it, myself.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I will watch these with interest I wonder if anyone can get a test ride before next summer? R
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I was wheened into motorcycles from scooter via a 2008 Buell Blast, which was Halrey's last attempt at an entry level/MSF trainer bike; compared to the Buell the new Street models have promising potential (as far as being v-twins instead of a single cylinder engine that's not dampened);

with that said, the only real grind I had with my Buell Blast was the cantankerous autochoke that didn't seem to work properly (even after the idle settings were reprogrammed twice);

I am skeptical of the build quality of the componenets that are rumored to be manufactured in India...I am biased because of a problematic 2009 Stella 2T I owned for a few months that spent alot of time in the shop for warranty repairs; despite the Street being badged a Harley, alot of the parts are being made by a subsidiary of Harley in India and being shipped to the U.S. for final assembly
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

kmrcstintn wrote:I am skeptical of the build quality of the componenets that are rumored to be manufactured in India...I am biased because of a problematic 2009 Stella 2T I owned for a few months that spent alot of time in the shop for warranty repairs; despite the Street being badged a Harley, alot of the parts are being made by a subsidiary of Harley in India and being shipped to the U.S. for final assembly
Don't you think many components of other Harleys (and just about every other motorcycle/scooter including BMW) are sourced in China, or India, or Indonesia or whatever? The real issue is quality control (and, no, that does not appear to be LML's strong point).
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Any one hear any thing new on these items? R
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Street 500 - $6799
Street 750 - $7499

Delivery Schedule available in a week or two.

Per my local HD dealer today.
Wow. I could buy a GTV for that! :rofl:
I dunno... for that price it is a bit appealing. Notice I say "a bit".

The crusier thing is still counter to what I enjoy, but I appreciate Harley realizing that there are other markets than behemoth crusiers that are too heavy to get out of their own way. I honestly think Harley is going on a better track.

You know the world is in a screwed up place when Harley Davidson is making good world market decisions and Vespa is trying to pawn off a $10k 150cc
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I guess we will have to wait and see in regaurds to the new Harley's. What I dont get is why-they have the Sportster 883 for a entrylevel bike. I know that the new bikes will be quieter (liqid cooled) and a bit smoother as a result but still. I know a few friends that have newer Harleys and the bikes get ridden on a regular basis and have been very reliable and fit and finish is still top notch. With most of our major brands building scoots in China with good results (Honda Metropolitan, Piaggio Fly 50 are a few examples) it comes down to training your workforce and quality control. I think Harley has a good idea what they are doing. Plus final assembly will be in the USA-with foreign and domestic components.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

still shifting wrote:Any one hear any thing new on these items? R
Not yet. I last checked in with my dealer on November 24th. At that point he said it would be "a couple weeks before they started taking orders." I don't want to wear out my welcome at this dealer because they have been super dooper nice to me in the past, despite all the negative hype you hear about Harley dealers. I'm very much looking forward to seeing/riding the production bikes for myself. Everybody else's opinion is fine, but unless they want to buy the bike for me, I'd like to form my own opinion, thank you very much. :wink:
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Southerner wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the new retro-UJM from Honda. Back when they were so common, we didn't appreciate them the way I can now.

Wouldn't mind a Vespa, but, like the Guzzi, there are the usual problems with Italian stuff.

So I would be more interested in the new automatic Stella. No clutch cables to replace.
I considered the Guzzi a few months ago but decided on a Triumph Bonneville since the Guzzi was said to be less reliable. But that Moto Guzzi Griso sure is one pretty machine.

This is the garage mate to my Stella 4T.

Image[/img]
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mulliganal wrote:I considered the Guzzi a few months ago but decided on a Triumph Bonneville since the Guzzi was said to be less reliable. But that Moto Guzzi Griso sure is one pretty machine. This is the garage mate to my Stella 4T.
I certainly won't say anything negative about the new Bonnie. I like them. On the other hand, you give my a chuckle saying that you don't think a Guzzi would be reliable enough to be the stable mate to your Stella. :wink:

(darned if I know what Southerner means about "the usual problems with Italian stuff" - I've owned 6 Italian bikes in the past 10 years, all have been well built, fun, and as reliable as any bike I've ridden)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Syd wrote:
JHScoot wrote:

What about that video concerns you? I don't see it, myself.
honestly it looks somewhat crude and unfinished. "piano black" paint against flat black paint and the nuts and bolts of it look....industrial? i mean i know its just a motorcycle and is supposed to be a basic one, but unrefined comes to mind. next to other Harley's, for sure.

what are those billows called on the forks? perhaps they are called just that, but those look cheap imo, and just slopped on. the entire front end (fascia?) appears weak imo.

idk....it just doesn't seem finished well. i could be wrong but reading some of the forums since this thread started it appears many current Harley owners feel the same. and they want to like the bike!

i read a post somewhere that said at the local MC shows however hard the Harley folks tried to spark interest in the bike newcomers and long time riders alike seemed to roundly dismiss the bike, or show very little curiosity about it after a glance

perhaps to long time Harley fans and newcomers alike that just isn't a proper Harley-Davidson. and who might be to blame for that except....Harley, the company itself?

but w/e the case it just seems "fit and finish" is not up to par. maybe the production bikes will be different? but from what i have read, they are not
Riding is riding
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JHScoot wrote:what are those billows called on the forks?
They are called fork gaitors.

Let's at least give Harley-Davidson the opportunity to roll these new bikes out to the dealers before we slam them, okay? :wink:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My '70 Honda CT-90 and '75 CB550F both had 'fork gaiters', or boots, or whatever they were called. Kept dust and debris out of the fork seals.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

jrsjr wrote:
JHScoot wrote:what are those billows called on the forks?
They are called fork gaitors.

Let's at least give Harley-Davidson the opportunity to roll these new bikes out to the dealers before we slam them, okay? :wink:
well don't kill the messenger, here. i would like a Harley as a second bike, myself. or a Shadow RS? idk, but whatever the case i wish i have read more good things about these, but i have not. when it comes in point me in the direction =]

and is it true they are going to MSF? nothing wrong with MSF but its not the way to market a Harley in my uneducated opinion

its why its an opinion

maybe more colors will come out, and variants based on the platform? or whatever its called in the motorcycle world? but Harley seems to be restrained by its own history, stuck with cruisers and, cruisers

you know what most people who don't ride say when they see a Harley? most say nice bike. its what Harley has become but to the true enthusiast imo. or "biker," or whatever. but Harley is "the show bike." and these blacked out bikes stick out like sore thumbs in that show.

its a good start, maybe. but if it goes no further these bikes are going to be DOA after a year imo. i would prefer a Sportster, myself. and i wonder if Harley ever asked "who wouldn't prefer a Sportster?"

so, maybe these bikes will sell some Sportsters! :lol:

i don't know about anyone else, really. but i know which one i want and am taking home. unless that 750 sprouts wings and fly's, or something?

again, this is all just for the sake of discussion on a message board. i cannot confirm, deny, relate, or start to perpetuate....anything. i am just posting pics and trying to figure what is up.

yes, we will wait. but we also have pics. and they say 1000 words, i have heard.

Riding is riding
Syd

Post by Syd »

Like them or not the Street 750's engine just made the CARB Executive Orders page for 2015.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And now, thanks to Motorcycle USA, we have the dyno numbers. The Street 750 makes 7.42 more Horsepower. the 883 makes 9.03 lb-ft more Torque. That means that, in a drag race, the 883 will pull the 750 off the line but the 750 will pull the 883 down the stretch. I absolutely can't wait to see a heads-up drag race between these two. Next up, handling! :wink:
Attachments
Harley Davidson Street 750
Harley Davidson Street 750
Harley Davidson Street 750 Dyno.JPG (55.04 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Harley Davidson 883
Harley Davidson 883
Harley Davidson 883 Dyno.JPG (69.01 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
toot

Post by toot »

I think it looks nice. There is a Harley dealer 1 mile from me, maybe I will take a look see, AND Ride my VESPA away.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

toot wrote:I think it looks nice. There is a Harley dealer 1 mile from me, maybe I will take a look see, AND Ride my VESPA away.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your Vespa is a GT200, right? I've had a Sportster and a 2004 GT200 and I agree with your choice. :wink: That GT200 was still my favorite motorbike, ever. It was just a sweet bike in every way.
toot

Post by toot »

Thanks. I like Harley's. It is just I would rather ride scooters. I love the way they ride. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Plus, it goes without saying that Captian America don't ride no 883. :twisted:
Attachments
Harley Davidson Street 750 Captain America.JPG
Harley Davidson Street 750 Captain America.JPG (77.12 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Any info on the 500? R
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have nothing against Hardley Davidsons, love the sound. Not my cup of tea as a hip problem makes getting on one difficult and I am Scooter Scum
at heart. That said, Honda is coming out with some new bikes in that reasonable price range and that will have(gasp!!) automatic trannies.
Will be offered in 500-700ccs and aimed at new riders. It will be interesting
to see how that goes. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Really? I thought they quit selling the NC700 (or whatever the real model # was) auto because sales were so low. Do you know model names?
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

if the 883 is a 'chick' bike, then what is the Buell C3 (Blast) considered with a 492cc engine? I guess my Honda Shadow 750 is definitely a 'chick' bike! I might still be riding my Blast if it wasn't a cantankerous beast with the repetitive issues with the onboard autochoke...

anyway, it is good to see somebody making an intermediate-sized entry level cruiser...I hope Harley has success with the Street series of bikes
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Syd

Post by Syd »

kmrcstintn wrote:if the 883 is a 'chick' bike, then what is the Buell C3 (Blast) considered with a 492cc engine?
Out of production. :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
kmrcstintn wrote:if the 883 is a 'chick' bike, then what is the Buell C3 (Blast) considered with a 492cc engine?
Out of production. :D
:rofl:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

According to RideApart.com the Honda will be known as the Honda CTX700
offered with a DCT transmission. which Honda refers to as an automatic
transmission. There is no clutch or gear lever. This was introduced Feb 2013
Chicago International Motorcycle Show.
Go to RideApart.com for the rest of the story.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

According to my dealer, their delivery schedule has been pushed back to the end of June. He didn't say why, but I had the sense that he wasn't happy about it. I would think that The Motor Company would want those bikes on the showroom floors ASAP so there must be a really good reason why that isn't happening. :(
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i am trying to like it, but look at this. lets hope for something more substantial. i'd guess this is a Hyosung

i like 'Hyo, btw. for what it is. a cheap(er) bike

Riding is riding
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

No to this bike. H-D is trying to cash-in on young SOA fans. Very whorish IMHO.
Syd

Post by Syd »

JHScoot wrote:i am trying to like it, but look at this. lets hope for something more substantial. i'd guess this is a Hyosung

i like 'Hyo, btw. for what it is. a cheap(er) bike
So you think the new Street 500/750 is made in Korea? Is that what that means?
Syd

Post by Syd »

KrispyKreme wrote:No to this bike. H-D is trying to cash-in on young SOA fans. Very whorish IMHO.
Young, obviously, but just SOA fans? Remember which came first.
pattio

Post by pattio »

If you had a motorcycle company and your customer base was greying out and dying off, and your main product was expensive, dated, and increasingly difficult to bring into emissions and noise compliance, making a lighter, cheaper, liquid-cooled bike using inexpensive foreign labor so that young people and women can become your customers is a very good idea.

Its been interesting for years to watch HD dance around how to keep moving forward while appearing timeless. Between these new bikes and the previous V-Rod, one thing is becoming more clear: whatever steps they will take towards liquid cooling or lower pricing, they will absolutely positively not make motorcycles that are not long, low, heavy and slow. It seems those are the defining elements of an American motorcycle, since, tech details aside, Victory and Indian conform to the same standard.