Slow up steep hill?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ferg52

Slow up steep hill?

Post by ferg52 »

Getting used to my Buddy 125 recently purchased. Has about 775 miles and is a blast. On the straights I have gotten up to 55 bmph ( I am still too new at this to try faster) and acceleration seems fine. However today I took it up a very steep incline (goes up almost 1000 feet in a half mile. Granted, I started up from a stop sign, but at full throttle I stilled slowed to about 30.
I have a windshield and weigh about 170. Does this seem too slow for a Buddy 125? Anything I should check. Perhaps it is not fully broken in yet.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

That does seem a bit slow, but depending on the hill, my 150 has slowed down quite a bit. Elevation plays a role.

You might also check to see if the air filter and other normal maintenance were done. if its' gummed up, you'll lose some, though I would think that would be obvious from the start.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

That's a pretty significant climb your 12hp machine is pulling. The weight of you and your bike under normal flat propulsion is one thing, but fighting gravity more is only going to stress the bike significantly. Sounds to me like a pretty steep grade, which seems like it handles how it should be expected as you were describing.

As a base of comparison, think about how easy it is to walk on a flat treadmill vs kicking up the incline level to the max.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

If it is 1000' in .5 miles, (2500'), that's about a 40% grade and I'm surprised you could make it all. I've gone up a 22% grade with a running start, wide open throttle and about 15 - 20 mph.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A couple things may help: First, check your tire pressure. Should be around 30psi front and back. Next, consider a mid-sized windshield.

You'll also see some performance increases as it breaks in further, especially if you followed some type of break in procedure when new.

Finally, what was the total elevation? Depending on where you started and how your scoot is tuned, you may find performance start to suffer at around 5,000 feet and dropping significantly around 7,000 feet. That's about where any carbureted scooter I've ridden has started slowing, but that's starting out at roughly sea level.

If this is your first CVT (automatic) two-wheeler, as you get experience you'll learn how to work the throttle to get the most out of the scooter as possible. Gradually applying the throttle as you climb the hill will yield better performance than tackling it at wide open throttle. Of course, there are limits, especially with this kind of grade.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Everything already stated is the gospel.

Let us know how your scooter does on that same hill after you hit 1000-1500 miles. Most report significant improvements after a good break-in period.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

Thanks all. I did just install the mid-size windshield and am enjoying it. Probably got the grade wrong. More like 1000' in a mile, not half mile. I pulled the plug today just to check and it was too black from carbon. When I bought the scoot the previous owner had let the gas sit for too long and had to have the carb cleaned out for it to start and idle. Could be that the shop did not check the plug at the time and it had flooded at some point while trying to get it to start and run. I cleaned it up and checked gap. We'll see how the Buddy runs now. If it is running rich, can that affect speed and can I adjust?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ahh, didn't know the history! :)

Yep, if you're running rich, you can adjust the air/fuel mix. The screw's on the side of the carburetor.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does the Buddy have about 775 miles on it or have you put 775 miles on it? If the scoot only has 775 miles on it it's got another thousand miles or so before it's broken in, and several thousand before you get the best performance (or that's the way my first two scoots acted).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

Only 775 total. I got a great deal on this great little scooter and look forward to it reaching its full potential!