Crash due to mechanical failure?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Crash due to mechanical failure?

Post by RoaringTodd »

I rode my new-to-me Honda Elite 150 yesterday at WOT for quite a stretch. While flying along, I began wondering what I would do if something mechanically suddenly failed on my bike. (especially for a 28 year old scoot) How would I react?

I am always scanning the road and anticipating the reactions of other vehicles, however, I feel a little unsecure not knowing my machine that well.

Have any of you had a catastrophic accident due to mechanical failure? What and how could you have avoided this?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

As I posted a while ago, I had the rear tire (tubed) blow on my CB125S @ 40mph. My fault because it was underinflated: the tire/tube slipped on the rim, and the valve sheared off. Scariest moment of my adult life. Thankfully, it wasn't the front tire, so nothing more serious than a need for clean underwear.

Most important take-away: check your tire pressure often. While tubeless tires tend to fail in a less dramatic fashion, it does no harm to check your tires frequently no matter what you have.
pattio

Post by pattio »

Pretty much the worst you're looking at for such a failure is a rear wheel lock. As a two-stroke vintage guy, I've experienced this (220cc Stella long-stroke seizure at highway speeds) and the worst you're looking at is a rear-wheel lockup. I'll take a rear wheel lockup over any kind of front wheel problem any day.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Members have reported rear-wheel lockup on CVT bikes if the belt fails catastrophically and piles up in the clutch.

I had one of those what-if moments when doing a 60bmph run shortly after getting new tires: what-if my front axle wasn't properly torqued??
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Most lock ups or catastrophic failures are uncommon with newer scoots and the key, of course, is proper and timely maintenance.

The second thing: don't ignore noises or various little issues that pile up or get worse. You may think you know what it is, but maybe you don't. (This is a lesson I need to re-learn over and over!)

For example, my speedometer went out on my LX. The cable seemed okay at the wheel, so I figured it just came loose in the headset. So I ignored it for a while, because getting in there is a PITA. Nope, the real issue was that there was a problem in the bearings and the gears were grinding into something in the front wheel that could have eventually caused the whole wheel to lock up. From a speedo failure!

The one time I lost power at full speed, was on a freeway. I didn't lock up, but had to coast three lanes over to the shoulder. The reason? Dropped a valve which had been rattling for some time. I thought the noise was something else and didn't have the valves checked. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

A tire can go out at any time, of course. Blowouts are less common with tubeless tires, but can still happen. What's more likely is a more gradual loss of pressure or even a sudden loss without the blowing out part. Still, a properly inflated tire with good tread is far less likely to go.

The belt breaking, well… it happens. Usually, it's a clean snap. Scooter just coasts, no power to rear wheel. The belt does sometimes shred and wrap around the clutch. I think it's more likely with kevlar, but this can also happen with a rubber belt. The shredding is more likely with an older belt either way. Best not to try to eke every possible mile out of it; change it at 6500 miles.

Engine seizing rarely happens on a Buddy, but it's possible. The number one cause is running it out of oil. Most common reason for that happening is not sufficiently tightening the oil filter.

Using an assload of performance mods and pushing the scooter way beyond its intended limits can also lead to all sorts of duress and extra strain. If you're running all that stuff, you need to be extra-diligent about all kinds of maintenance, not just on the parts you added or replaced.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skipper20

Re: Crash due to mechanical failure?

Post by skipper20 »

RoaringTodd wrote:I rode my new-to-me Honda Elite 150 yesterday at WOT for quite a stretch. While flying along, I began wondering what I would do if something mechanically suddenly failed on my bike. (especially for a 28 year old scoot) How would I react?

I am always scanning the road and anticipating the reactions of other vehicles, however, I feel a little unsecure not knowing my machine that well.

Have any of you had a catastrophic accident due to mechanical failure? What and how could you have avoided this?
Older tires can also "fail" by losing their grip especially on wet pavement. Even though the tire may look good and have a lot of tread left, if it's more than 8 - 10 years old, replace it with a new tire. I failed to do this with an '86 Honda Elite 150 two years ago and spent 17 days in the hospital and a rehab. facility as a result of my negligence.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:A tire can go out at any time, of course. Blowouts are less common with tubeless tires, but can still happen.
I can attest to that. Maybe not technically a "blowout", but shortly after having my rear tire replaced, it suddenly lost all pressure and collapsed. Evidently the seal with the rim just went, and suddenly I was sitting on a floppy circle of rubber. I'm guessing it was underinflated, but that's just speculation. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast and managed to pull over without incident. But carrying my groceries the remaining 2 miles home wasn't much fun.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Todd, during the dayride at the ECC in Wildwood, we lost a rider a few towns north into the massive dayride. I can't remember what kind of bike he had, but it was an older 2 stroke and somehow the nut that was supposed to be holding his back wheel on had worked itself off and his rear wheel came off as well. He fractured his foot and had to roll out on an ambulance, with his club making arrangements for his scooter. Periodic pre-flight checks.

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Cotter Pin Awareness!
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Todd, during the dayride at the ECC in Wildwood, we lost a rider a few towns north into the massive dayride. I can't remember what kind of bike he had, but it was an older 2 stroke and somehow the nut that was supposed to be holding his back wheel on had worked itself off and his rear wheel came off as well. He fractured his foot and had to roll out on an ambulance, with his club making arrangements for his scooter. Periodic pre-flight checks.

Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote:Most lock ups or catastrophic failures are uncommon with newer scoots and the key, of course, is proper and timely maintenance.

The second thing: don't ignore noises or various little issues that pile up or get worse.

...The reason? Dropped a valve which had been rattling for some time. I thought the noise was something else and didn't have the valves checked.
I'm glad you posted this, Eric. The Blackjack has recently developed a ticking sound. Since I also recently installed Dr. Pulley Sliders I'm still not used to the new noises coming from the transmission. Prior to seeing your post I was likely to have written off the new ticking to something to do with the sliders. I'll keep a closer eye (ear) on it and will probably have the scoot checked out this week.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Not to be a snob, but thats why I always wear gear. I am prepared for the 60 MPH walk in case it happens :)

, BUT the joke is, first you say it...then you do it ..." SH*T".

1.) Don't ignore strange noises (vibrations in your case)

2.) Make sure your bike is in a good a shape as you can.

3.) If something does go wrong LOOK AHEAD and focus on the ride; often, even in a bad situation you can get it to a somewhat controlled if ugly stop.

I know the feeling you speak of, often when I am working on someone elses bike I would have those thoughts.." I this thing safe?"

Its amazing when you are a mechanic the things people expect you to drive.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?