New Scooter From Kawasaki

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lance Corona

New Scooter From Kawasaki

Post by Lance Corona »

OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

This is good, and is a reasonable way fow Kawasaki to enter the market. (I wonder why it took them so long...) With the styling, it is a little different from many other scooters and should get attention. I hope they do well with it.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Got a feeling it's really going to be pricey..... it's 6000 with Kymco's name on it..... wonder how much more the Kawasaki moniker will raise it....?????
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Another discussion thread on the new Kawasaki scooter.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic12113 ... t=kawasaki
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Scooter From Kawasaki

Post by jrsjr »

Lance Corona wrote:It's a Kymco in sheep's clothing.
Badge engineering is never a great thing, but cross-pollination often is. In Kawasaki's case, considering the state of their motorcycle business, their forced partnership with Suzuki and so on, now is probably the wrong moment for them to pour a ton of capital into a new scooter design. If the J300 sells, maybe we'll see some creative cross-pollination. Besides, when Kawasaki design a new vehicle, the results are sometimes a bit "interesting." Be careful what you wish for, you know, you may get it. :wink:
Attachments
Kawasaki 2014 Z1000 Street Fighter
Kawasaki 2014 Z1000 Street Fighter
Kawasaki 2014 Z1000.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ dumbest looking, most overdone "naked" bike ever. even when less faring is involved seems some bike makers still tend to make MORE out of it. in a bad way

the scooter? should be a good one. looks like Kawi retained the less then practical seat of the DT, though. it gives taller, long of leg riders some frustration i have read. i also read a seat is available without a "hump" in some markets and one owner just cut the thing open and did a custom job, allowing him to slide back further while riding
Riding is riding
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I dislike this style scooter with the big hump in the center. You lose lots of storage for one thing and they are harder to get on and off of. I'm sure it will be a good touring scooter though, just a little too heavy and too humpy for me.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Unfortunately, unless they make a 125cc version, this scooter will sell in small numbers in most of Europe.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

dkw12002 wrote:I dislike this style scooter with the big hump in the center. You lose lots of storage for one thing and they are harder to get on and off of. I'm sure it will be a good touring scooter though, just a little too heavy and too humpy for me.
the Kymco Downtown has a dry weight of just 366 pounds. so where is the extra 55 pounds on this scooter? is 421 pounds its wet weight? does gas, oil, and coolant weight 55 pounds?

it would be nice of you're wrong about the scooter, a bit. the Downtown is said to feel very light and agile in traffic. one Agility rider said it felt very much like that scooter to toss around. its a small(er) frame scooter with big plastics and a 300cc engine. so it takes some by surprise when they ride it and it feels very much a scooter

hopefully Kawasaki has not doen much to change that. or Kymco? maybe this is a "new" Downtown?
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's interesting to launch this at this time. The bike and scooter markets in Europe are awful this year, with losses across the board. But a lot of the big companies are looking at this urban mobility issue and turning to scooters as a possible solution for some people. BMW's C-series are selling better than expected. Yamaha has an MP3-like scooter coming out in Europe. So this is Kawasaki dipping their toe in without having to go through the expense of all the R&D.

There are some maxiscoots that sell well in Europe (T-Max was top selling model in 2012, SH300 does well) but 77% of 2012 scooters sold were under 125cc!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Almost every time I see someone looking at those Downtown models at the local dealer, they complain about that seat. The scooter shop even has a "hook up" for having the hump removed. Last guy I saw looking at one moved his butt back to the rear section, and it fit him pretty good then
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Scooter From Kawasaki

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:
Lance Corona wrote:It's a Kymco in sheep's clothing.
... Besides, when Kawasaki design a new vehicle, the results are sometimes a bit "interesting." Be careful what you wish for, you know, you may get it. :wink:
See, I told you thusly. :wink: Welcome to the MP3 - Kawasaki-style...