Stella Auto has landed in Chicago

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Stella Auto has landed in Chicago

Post by ericalm »

Scooterworks Chicago posted pics today of the uncrating of a Stella Auto as well as some out of the crate shots and a little other info. This is probably a demo model or will be used for testing, but it appears to be a production version with exception of square license plate frame.

Here's the post on their blog:
http://scooterworkschicago.com/stella-a ... yours-now/

Some BIG images on there, including a nice shot of under the left cowl. It's pretty crazy.

Here's the uncrating pic on their Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/scooterworkschi/sta ... 2193305600

More are likely to pop up on their Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ScooterworksChicago

A couple of the pics included below.
Attachments
Note the extra vents in the cowls, lack of brake pedal, and vents under the legshield. (From Scooterworks Chicago's Facebook)
Note the extra vents in the cowls, lack of brake pedal, and vents under the legshield. (From Scooterworks Chicago's Facebook)
996044_10153450522590532_1599627554_n.jpg (150.43 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Uncrating
Uncrating
BY_0Y9uCAAIs5Rs.jpg (36.13 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

"Interesting" use of zip-ties on some of the air ducts.
Otherwise, it's great to see another approved scooter here from Genuine :clap:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I wonder if that "LML" cvt cover will stay, surely genuine will replace that. Those air intakes look like something HR Giger designed. I'm pretty sure that wheel cover on the right is just for show, these don't have a spare, that's where the gas tank is located. Regardless, i'm very interested in test riding one of these in a few months. There's a very good chance my Like could be traded in for one. (just don't tell her that)

Update: yep, no spare.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Nice scoot but I hate that it has no actual spare. Sorry I think the 2014 Vespa Primavera or the new Sprint may get my cash this time round.....
Last edited by Drum Pro on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

New Sprint? Links please!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

BeefSupreme wrote:New Sprint? Links please!
Sorry I got none. I was going by hearsay at Modern Vespa by people suposedly in the know. I know They are going to release the Primavera in the US as a 150cc but don't know when. It looks like a 946 mated with a GTS IMO and is more cost effective and practical (storage wise) for the average guy than the high price tag of the 946....
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

People say that 4T shifty is difficult to work on (in relation to its 2T cousin).

This thing looks like LML decided to up the ante in terms of accessibility!

LOVE that blue color, though!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote:People say that 4T shifty is difficult to work on (in relation to its 2T cousin).

This thing looks like LML decided to up the ante in terms of accessibility!

LOVE that blue color, though!
Ditto on the execution. Looks like they hired Jackson Pollock to lay out the wiring harness. I'll take a set of cowls, but pass on the rest.

If I was going to buy another new auto, pencil me in for a Primavera as well. Piaggio really nailed that one down! :o
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drum Pro wrote:Nice scoot but I hate that it has no actual spare. Sorry I think the 2014 Vespa Primavera or the new Sprint may get my cash this time round.....
Neither of those will have a spare either.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

ericalm wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:Nice scoot but I hate that it has no actual spare. Sorry I think the 2014 Vespa Primavera or the new Sprint may get my cash this time round.....
Yeah I know but I just think it's kinda stupid to have it look like it has one but doesn't. It's like buying a jacket or pants that has fake pockets. Of course this is just my opinion (and a little of my ocd)....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yeah, I'd take that off and toss it in the garage… Maybe paint it for the 4T.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ericalm wrote:Yeah, I'd take that off and toss it in the garage… Maybe paint it for the 4T.
Mine will get painted matte black ASAP.
toot

How fast???

Post by toot »

Okay since this is a 125 what are your predictions of top speed and cost :?: :?: :? :? :?
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Drum Pro wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Yeah I know but I just think it's kinda stupid to have it look like it has one but doesn't. It's like buying a jacket or pants that has fake pockets. Of course this is just my opinion (and a little of my ocd)....
I'm with you! One of my biggest complaints of the Harley clone metric bikes is all the fake things they have on them that do nothing other then try and copy a Harley part.. Goes right along with Fake scoops or vents on cars!
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: How fast???

Post by Alexbv200 »

toot wrote:Okay since this is a 125 what are your predictions of top speed and cost :?: :?: :? :? :?
Not sure on top speed but it should do 60.
as far as cost it was announced not long ago at $3,499
Stella Manual is $3,699
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

SonnyD wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:
ericalm wrote: Neither of those will have a spare either.
I'm with you! One of my biggest complaints of the Harley clone metric bikes is all the fake things they have on them that do nothing other then try and copy a Harley part.. Goes right along with Fake scoops or vents on cars!
I think the reason may to also be help keep water from splashing up into the battery compartment, but yeah, I think they could have gone a different route to accomplish that.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Don't get me wrong I think it's a good scoot and a step in the right direction for the company. Just that one aspect of it, to me, is lame. It would be better off not having the fake bit. They would be better off running a special simmilar to the "spring bling" with a 3 'n' 1 rack and you could add a spare for a $140 for new buyers... after re-reading the previous post I get it now....
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

The front and rear wheels are different, same as all other scooters (other than the Stella)
Which end should the spare be for?

I think the fake spare cover is, eh, why?
A simple beauty cover that followed the tank bottom for protection would have been more appropriate.

Otherwise, looks good.

Rob
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Drum Pro wrote:
ericalm wrote:

Faux pockets SUCK.

(also the faux wheel is stupid. if the battery needs water protection, do it some other way.)

I am waiting oh so patiently for a pic of the metallic black.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: How fast???

Post by ericalm »

Alexbv200 wrote:
toot wrote:Okay since this is a 125 what are your predictions of top speed and cost :?: :?: :? :? :?
Not sure on top speed but it should do 60.
as far as cost it was announced not long ago at $3,499
Stella Manual is $3,699
The Chicago guys and those on the LML UK owners' forum have said that the performance is comparable to the 4T.

I hope to find out, first hand, ASAP! :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

And the fake spare cover is on the wrong side
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

While it may not have a spare, I've noted something that's come up which I think may be incorrect. I've seen several mentions that the wheels are not interchangable. Based on the pics, I believe that the rim/tire assembly is interchangable (unless LML changed the offset of the rim), but that the rear brake drum is different. If the offset hasn't changed, there's no reason why one couldn't swap rims. Front-to-rear to even out tire wear (except for directional tires, which is almost a non-issue in this tire size) or bolt on a luggage rack with a tire mount and carry a spare.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

uk site list both wheels as the same,3.5x10 on all models
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I'm really interested in a set of the vented cowls for my 2T.

I'm with Eric...Can't wait to ride one! actually excited.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Nope, not me....no interest in riding it.
I purposely sought out the stella BECAUSE it was a shifty, if i had an interest in any form of automatic twist and go, there are a BAZILLION to choose from, from sub-$1k chinese knock offs to the too rich-for-my-blood BMW.

I do wish it luck, it'll have stiff competition.....but the all steel, classic body is a strong hook.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I 'm about to board a flight to Chicago for business and plan on slipping away to run over to Scooterworks during my downtime. Hope the Auto is around for me to check it out.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

SockyTX wrote:I 'm about to board a flight to Chicago for business and plan on slipping away to run over to Scooterworks during my downtime. Hope the Auto is around for me to check it out.

If they have a Metallic Black one, get pics!!!
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

ravenlore wrote:
SockyTX wrote:I 'm about to board a flight to Chicago for business and plan on slipping away to run over to Scooterworks during my downtime. Hope the Auto is around for me to check it out.

This picture was posted by an owner of a black auto. It's a European LML Star. The "metallic black" might be different but perhaps it gives you some idea.
Attachments
Stella.jpg
Stella.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

ravenlore wrote:
Socky,
Don't waste your time...Scooterworks already moved it to their facility on Grand Avenue.....the parts warehouse.
I know this because I stopped in today to take a peak myself.....no joy.

Rob

SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Wish I read this earlier. I stopped by Scooterworks and yup, no stellauto. But it was cool to check the place out and I got a Scooterworks Chicago Tee and some other schwag. I didn't have enough time in my agenda to head over to grand. So I guess I'll have to wait til the stellauto arrives in N TX.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic