Honda Grom???

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Honda Grom???

Post by Stormswift »

Look what showed up on our Craiglist:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcd/4195190350.html
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Yeah same ad runs by my local dealer on Craigslist here in KC...
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Watching the grom thing carefully, I wonder how soon they will be showing up used? R
skully93

Post by skully93 »

yeah, I wouldn't pay that for a new one. for 3k and the willingness to shift, I could get a lot more bike.

Still a cool niche product though.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

skully93 wrote:yeah, I wouldn't pay that for a new one. for 3k and the willingness to shift, I could get a lot more bike.

Still a cool niche product though.
Really...I mean price wise...That's Buddy 125 territory...I can't think of anything I've seen that cooler at 3000, but that's just me... I guess there is some used stuff out there cheaper, from an article I read yesterday, Honda way under estimated the demand, and there are big waiting lists all over the country... As I mentoned the dealer by me has some in stock.. I've been trying desperately to find something else that would be more bang for the buck...
What were you thinking "more" wise. I know there are lots of used 500 and probably 750'a used in that price...but I mean, something in that size, for the intended purpose of a scooter or small motorcycle... not meaning any disrespect, or anything just curious.... cause as I mentioned, it looks pretty good to me, and I can't find anything small like that cheaper.....
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I own a Grom. Very good little bike. Easy to work on too. Just two valves and they are easy to access. I take it on the interstate all the time, but 64 mph is top speed in a full tuck so you have to stay in the right lane. It is the most maneuverable bike I've ever owned. Wet weight is only 225 lbs. Has the same 12-inch tires as my Vespa. My Honda dealer in Selma, Tx got one in....the one I own. That's it. There are not likely to be used ones (for a lower price) any time soon. People are still on waiting lists for new ones. A lot of Ruckus owners are now Grom owners it seems.

One thing to note. Even though the bike is small, the seat is not short. It is also not very comfortable. There is also some vibration at idle...more than you would expect. Everything else...fit and finish, fun factor, handling, ease to maintain, mileage (I get 111 mpg riding wot a lot), brakes, smooth shifting...everything else is very good. There are no glitches or problems with the Groms and many people including me are approaching 2,000 miles or more. The engine has been around a long time. The bike is called the MSX 125 in Europe and Asia...it's made in Thailand...and is also in the Wave scooter. I paid $3600 out the door for mine. That's a couple hundred more than you should be able to get it for.

I can't say whether the shortage of supply is due to marketing by Honda to keep the price high or due to slow production and shipping, but there was a 2-week period in August in which they showed up all over the US, one or two per Powerhouse dealer. That has been it. No second shipment yet. The first one sold in the US around August 15th.

Lots of aftermarket upgrades are available which is the allure for many. I like mine just the way it is....really like it!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Cool 64 mph I continue to be intrigued. R
skully93

Post by skully93 »

let me clarify my statement:

If I was going to buy something in that configuration for 3k, I'd get a used full sized MC. However that's because I already have plenty of the smaller scoots :P.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

skully93 wrote:let me clarify my statement:

If I was going to buy something in that configuration for 3k, I'd get a used full sized MC. However that's because I already have plenty of the smaller scoots :P.
OK, I understand, that's what I was wondering.... I need more Small bikes, LOLOLOL
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

dkw12002 wrote:I own a Grom. Very good little bike. Easy to work on too. Just two valves and they are easy to access. I take it on the interstate all the time, but 64 mph is top speed in a full tuck so you have to stay in the right lane. It is the most maneuverable bike I've ever owned. Wet weight is only 225 lbs. Has the same 12-inch tires as my Vespa. My Honda dealer in Selma, Tx got one in....the one I own. That's it. There are not likely to be used ones (for a lower price) any time soon. People are still on waiting lists for new ones. A lot of Ruckus owners are now Grom owners it seems.

One thing to note. Even though the bike is small, the seat is not short. It is also not very comfortable. There is also some vibration at idle...more than you would expect. Everything else...fit and finish, fun factor, handling, ease to maintain, mileage (I get 111 mpg riding wot a lot), brakes, smooth shifting...everything else is very good. There are no glitches or problems with the Groms and many people including me are approaching 2,000 miles or more. The engine has been around a long time. The bike is called the MSX 125 in Europe and Asia...it's made in Thailand...and is also in the Wave scooter. I paid $3600 out the door for mine. That's a couple hundred more than you should be able to get it for.

I can't say whether the shortage of supply is due to marketing by Honda to keep the price high or due to slow production and shipping, but there was a 2-week period in August in which they showed up all over the US, one or two per Powerhouse dealer. That has been it. No second shipment yet. The first one sold in the US around August 15th.

Lots of aftermarket upgrades are available which is the allure for many. I like mine just the way it is....really like it!
I think this time, it was actually just Honda playing it safe, thinking it might not appeal to people here.... but the way i look at it, is how can you go wrong....It has HONDA on it, and the cool and fun factor is all over it.. and at 3000.... I LOVE it....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I'll get one eventually. Money's tied up in truck payments (finally bought a scooter hauler) and the impending purchase of my '13 black 4T Stella (manual).

For the interim, I'll just have to settle for fixing up my '64 Benly 90. :P
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

az_slynch wrote:I'll get one eventually. Money's tied up in truck payments (finally bought a scooter hauler) and the impending purchase of my '13 black 4T Stella (manual).

For the interim, I'll just have to settle for fixing up my '64 Benly 90. :P
Well, there is definitely nothing wrong with fixing up the Benly.....I'd much rather have that then the GROM.......
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Benly 90?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yep, Benly 90. Very similar to the US-market S90, but with nice add-ons like a center stand as well as a sidestand, a "rotary" gearbox and these cool little square blinkers.

This article does a nice job of covering the basics. The only details they didn't cover are the non-folding rear buddy pegs, and that those low bars are correct for an early Benly 90 /S90. Mine is pretty much complete, but has a bit too much patina to be ridden. It's gettin a full RDI once I finish collecting all the bits and pieces it needs.

Sorry for the threadjack!
Last edited by az_slynch on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Saw one at the Honda Display at the Atlanta International Motorcycle Show yesterday.
Cute lil rascal. Not my cup of tea but it should appeal to the younger generation. I would definately not ride one on the Interstate but then I did
not reach my advanced age by being stupid!! :wink: I thought it looked well built and the price at 3 Grand is not out of line. :clap:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Call me stupid AND old. I'm almost 68. I took it into San Antonio via I-35 today and didn't think a thing about it. Tough little bike apparently to take my wot riding for many miles at a time.

I had to look up a Benly 90. I like all those old small displacement bikes. I like FI, discbrakes and readily available parts even more though.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

68?? You are a kid :!: :wink: It is not that I don't think that the Grom cant handle Expressway riding, it is that it is lightweight and small which makes it susceptable to the drafting of 18 wheelers and a small object for the 4 wheelers with phones stuck in their ears to see. Expressway speeds in our
area is 80-85 in the slow lane and "faster than a speeding bullet" in the passing lanes. :whew:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I wouldn't do it now, but I rode a 1970 Suzuki 125 twin to Florida and back from Kansas City in 1971. Lol. With with a friend on his identical bike. We lock in behind semis and let them pull us as long as we could till we would lose the draft.... Not smart but at 21 it was a fun trip
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Ah, to be young again!!!! :lol:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

OK I get it now very like the Super Cub and some other 90 I seem to vaguely recall. Thank you for the clarification. We are approaching the Moped Army here a bit. R
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Drafting behind a Semi is one thing but getting knocked about by the side draft of one passing you on the Xway is another matter. I will admit to enjoying my 2 lane state roads a lot, car or scooter riding. :lol:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well, it's no bargain on the drafting part.....and you always get the violent side drafts, entering, and loosing the draft....way more noticable on a sub 200 pound bike then something heavier...Semi's aren't nearly as bad today as they were then, the air foils and all have made the air coming off a lot less violent. My Suzuki DRZ400SM was no bargain on the highway either...Large trucks are always a problem, but not nearly as bad as they once were... I've been riding over 50 years now since 1962, an obviously done something right to still be riding....it hasn't been perfect. I would not do the same things now that I did back then. Tiny vehicles mixed with very large vehicles is never a really great mix even if everyone is paying 100% attention......
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I have heard of people drafting semis, but I've never done that. The bike is remarkably stable at top speed too. Perhaps it is because while it is light, it is also small, so maybe that helps. It really does not get buffeted around by wind or passing trucks. Of course the trucks would all be going the same direction as you on the interstate and would not be passing you that fast if you are going 64 mph or so in the right-hand lane. I don't get passed by trucks too often.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Yeah, I think just the fact that it's a motorcycle and not a Scooter, it's going to be more stable, and may be even closer to the ground.... Body positioning is Everything!!!! I'm leaning more and more to a GROM everyday....
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

dkw12002 wrote:I have heard of people drafting semis, but I've never done that.
I’ve done it a few times, and I have to agree with SonnyD…

SonnyD wrote:it's no bargain on the drafting part.....and you always get the violent side drafts, entering, and loosing the draft....way more noticable on a sub 200 pound bike then something heavier...
It is more work, in my opinion. It is certainly more fatiguing and probably dangerous to try to ride in the draft of a semi. I only find it useful to follow a semi on the Buddy if I can identify one that’s rolling along slowly, and then only as an excuse to ride a bit slower. If I do “attach” onto a semi I try to hang just far enough back to avoid the better part of the draft.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Christophers wrote:I only find it useful to follow a semi on the Buddy if I can identify one that’s rolling along slowly, and then only as an excuse to ride a bit slower.
That was my strategy for crossing the Mackinac Bridge: follow a semi (speed limit 25mph) in the slow lane. Which didn't work so well the time the slow lane was closed.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Last week I saw and sat on one at my local Honda dealer.

I could not believe how small it was and I rode a Honda Met and Ruckus.

It's cute and cool but oh so impractical, really.

I'd rather buy another Ruckus to keep my Psycho company and that is sort of my plan.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with Whimscooties evaluation. At 6'1" I did not even try to sit on the one at the show last week. I have no doubt that it is a good bike but not for every one. :wink:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well, we could probably say that No Bike or Scooter is for Everyone.... I'm sure it would be fine for me I'm 5'7" on a good day with boots... I ride my 800 pound Harley all over the country, and felt fine on my Buddy 125...I'm pretty sure the GROM would fit me pretty well, from what I've read on the Dimensions....I wouldn't expect to really stretch out on it, but I think for what I'd use it for, it would fit the bill..... I'll have to see....
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

SonnyD wrote:Well, we could probably say that No Bike or Scooter is for Everyone.... I'm sure it would be fine for me I'm 5'7" on a good day with boots... I ride my 800 pound Harley all over the country, and felt fine on my Buddy 125...I'm pretty sure the GROM would fit me pretty well, from what I've read on the Dimensions....I wouldn't expect to really stretch out on it, but I think for what I'd use it for, it would fit the bill..... I'll have to see....
I think you will find it smaller than a Buddy. Try one and see!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with Deb. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :roll:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I would have loved to have test ridden it, but it was not prepped to ride.

They wanted 3400 OTD.
toadold

Post by toadold »

Current pricing OTD depends on local market and how much TTL and sales tax is in the State the dealer is in. On the GROM forums they are reporting between $3400 to $4000. There are a couple of online OEM parts dealers that have parts for them. Everything is pretty cheap. For example the chain is an IDI dirt bike chain with a master link. The thing that turned me off is that they are sprung with a Thai in mind but when you weigh 250 the front shocks need work and that gets expensive.
Saw a good buy on a used Buddy 170i but I have to wait till after I get a cataract removed in January. No depth perception and no side vision to my right. Hopefully by then I'll be lighter also.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with Toadold. I was not impressed when I saw one at the Show here
last month. I will stick with my 170 i . Good luck with your cataract surgery.
I have both eyes being done in Jan.. Am told that I will only need reading glasses. Having worn glasses since I was 5, 72 years now, it will be nice to
put them aside for a change. :lol:
toadold

Post by toadold »

WolfHound:
How do you deal with the girls that are attracted to your Buddy 170i....and what's a girl...it has been a long time :shock:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Well, the 170i does not attract many girls but I do enjoy the conversations that I have with the girls at the gym where I work out 4 days a week. They
tend to feel more comfortable around a man that is 77 for some strange reason. For me chasing women is like a dog chasing a car. If he catches
it he cant drive it!!! :wink:
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Here, since I live on the line between kansas and Missouri, it's 5 minutes and I can be in Missouri, if you buy out of state, you don't pay sales tax until you buy it... so they are just shy of 3100 out the door. If I buy in Kansas then I pay tax at the dealer, so that's almost 300 dollars at 9%. I can't tag that onto the price of the bike cause that's just the cost of buying something... it's 9% here on EVERYTHING.... I still think I will buy one. I'm 200 pounds so anything small I buy needs to be beefed up some...it was easy to make my Buddy front end bottom out... I'm sure I will be able to test ride it before I buy, so I will see then...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I weigh in at 192 and have never had any problem with my 170i suspension wise. I am 6' tall and find I have enough leg room if I slide back ib the seat.
Of course, ride one to test for your self first. :wink:
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

The Grom is really intriguing to me. I have a feeling it may displace the Ruckus in terms of customizations soon. It's inexpensive new, so once they start showing up used, it's on like Grey Poupon. Would love to turn one of these into a little apocalypse bike and just bounce it over of every curb in Chicago. Little motor + FI + gears and clutch = "I'm sorry officer" levels of fun.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

I have bought a couple of parts for it and they are cheap. A new air filter element is under $10, and gaskets are $2 or so each. Of course it has a very simple valve system that costs nothing to check and adjust and is fast to check which means a lot to me as opposed to say a race bike where they take 2 days to check the valves and charge $800. I managed to gall the axle and axle nut adjusting the chain and ordered a new axle and nut...cost of those was $8.16 from Honda, so oem parts seem to be surprisingly inexpensive. It appears to be an inexpensive bike to own and maintain.

There are some big bore kits available, but they have mixed reviews. Yuminashi makes one, but a couple of people have had trouble with them. The after-market parts so far seem to be coming in slowly. I've kept mine stock and have 1600 miles on it now. Runs great.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

dkw12002 wrote:I have bought a couple of parts for it and they are cheap. A new air filter element is under $10, and gaskets are $2 or so each. Of course it has a very simple valve system that costs nothing to check and adjust and is fast to check which means a lot to me as opposed to say a race bike where they take 2 days to check the valves and charge $800. I managed to gall the axle and axle nut adjusting the chain and ordered a new axle and nut...cost of those was $8.16 from Honda, so oem parts seem to be surprisingly inexpensive. It appears to be an inexpensive bike to own and maintain.

There are some big bore kits available, but they have mixed reviews. Yuminashi makes one, but a couple of people have had trouble with them. The after-market parts so far seem to be coming in slowly. I've kept mine stock and have 1600 miles on it now. Runs great.
Cool, that's good to hear.....