float bowl question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scullyfu

float bowl question

Post by scullyfu »

i read eric's winterizing post:

viewtopic.php?p=138514#138514

but i'm not sure where the float bowl is and how to drain it. can someone please give me some guidance or links on how to do it.

this is my first year of needing to 'winterize' my buddy 125cc; never had to do it when i lived in seattle, but buffalo is a wee bit different. :)

thanks.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I believe the screw for the float bowl drain can be found on the right side, lower edge if looked at while it's installed in the bike. Not totally sure, but you might need to pull the pet carrier to get to the screw. I don't quite remeber where the drain hose routes to, though.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

is doing this really necessary? my scooter will be in a covered, yet open, garage. i have it covered and plan on putting in seafoam and stabil, and stuffing a sock in the pipe. hopefully, the weather holds up for a few hours so i can go get the additives and get her fueled up.

re: the battery. i bought a tender/trickler, but unsure what sort of surface the battery can be placed on while the trickler is attached. always heard not to put a battery on newspaper/cardboard or the cement floor. thoughts, anyone? unfortunately, there is no plug out in the garage, so will need to bring the battery inside.

predictions are for below freezing temps for the next week or so. bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well… not ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you're adding Stabil and run it through the engine for a while, then the gas in the float bowl will at least have that added.

For the Battery Tender, I have done it on cement, carpet, wood…

You could probably just hook it up weekly if you don't want to leave it connected all the time untended. (Sorry for the pun.) An overnight charge should be sufficient. Also, I'd connect it to the terminals and use the pigtail (SAE) connector rather than the alligator clips, just because those are more exposed and could pop off if someone accidentally bumps it or something like that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

You REALLY should drain the carb....here's why.
Even though you have added stabil or other fuel preservatives, they cannot stop evaporation.
The tank should be filled to prevent moisture accumulating....this will cause the tank walls to develop rust which will come off when put back in service.
The rust breaks up so small it fouls the fuel filter and still finds its way into the carburetor in the spring.
Now, the carburetor.....it only holds about 15 to 20 cc of fuel.
Treated or not, the high ends evaporate out through the carburetor venting system.....and leaves behind the various co-solvents that are used to make gasoline.
The co-solvents dry in the fuel bowl as green flakes and, when you try to start the machine in the spring, the fresh treated fuel that enters the carb breaks the debris loose.
It then is pulled into the fuel jets, plugging them.
There is no cleaner that will unplug a jet because a plugged jet allows no fuel or cleaner through it.....it must be cleaned with a stainless steel jet cleaner wire and compressed air after disassembly.

So, to prevent this, just drain the fuel bowl and walk away.....restart in the spring and have another fun season.

As far as the battery.....even though the Battery Tender folks say it is OK to leave it attached and plugged in I have seen many batteries destroyed by tenders going haywire and overcharging.
I recommend pluggin the tender into a standard light timer set for one hour a day.....this way it cannot ever overcharge.

Good luck!
Rob
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

All good info given priviously. Just a comment on the Battery Tender. I'm currently using five continuously on various vehicles and have been for years. I've never had a problem and still have a good strong original battery in my Vespa. I know eventually it will fail but for now I'm trying to get another year or so out of it.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

thanks for all for the input.

i'm not what you'd call mechanically inclined, hence my question re: whether this is absolutely necessary. :) that said, i am willing to do this, but would appreciate someone (eric?) telling me how to accomplish it (or directing me to a link that i can check out).

thanks in advance.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Robbie wrote:You REALLY should drain the carb....here's why.
Even though you have added stabil or other fuel preservatives, they cannot stop evaporation.
Good point!

I'll see if I can find some pics or a video on doing this. If I still had a Buddy, I'd just make one!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…