Anybody here who rode a Buddy and DIDN'T like it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Anybody here who rode a Buddy and DIDN'T like it?

Post by Whimscootie »

Of course this is a Buddy scooter forum, but it might be interesting to see if anyone here has ridden a Buddy and did NOT like it for a change.

Tell us about it!

:shock:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

I haven't decided yet. I might need another 10K to make up my mind.
toot

not so much

Post by toot »

I loved the way it was flickable and light, but I hated it when I was going 55-60 mph. It always felt squirly to me and unstable. :cry: :cry:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My older son and son-in-law both rode my Buddy and didn't like it....

Other than that, I like it!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have been more than satisfied with my 170i, economical, fast off the liner,
and remarkably stable at all speeds. I ride in the 50-60 mph range. However,
in the future, say about 3 years, I will end up with a trike of some sort. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Buddies don't work for me ergonomically; and i'm not a 10-inch wheel person (squirrely!)

That said, for those folks who DO fit the bike, it's just a perfect lil urban machine. No lack of respect from me.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I rarely ride anything with 2 wheels that I don't like. When your used to one thing, then ride another, it always seems to be a bit strange. I liked my Buddy a lot, yes it did feel a bit squirrelly with the 10" tires, but my other main ride is a 900 pound Harley.
I rode my buddies Yamaha Star Strato-liner, about the same weight and equipment as my Harley, and it felt squirrelly and hard to steer like it was going to fall over. If he rode mine he might feel the same?
My Buddy 125 felt a lot better then my Honda Areo 125. The Buddy felt lighter, more nimble, and a lot faster.
I'd probably have to ride something for at least a week before I could device Yay or Nay
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Buddy is a light weight urban scooter with very quick steering. That works great around town, but doesn't work for me out on the open road. There I prefer a longer wheelbase, bigger wheels, and more weight.

(In other words - liked it for what?)
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

My husband rode my Buddy once, and said "This thing's not for me - it feels way too light, there's no footbrake, I can't go very fast on it, and I keep trying to shift manually!" He's a Stella guy, through and through...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Two things will help with the squirreliness at high speeds: a medium windscreen and really good (properly-inflated) tires. Upgraded suspension will help some, too.

In the end, though, you're still doing 60+ on 10" wheels. If you ride anything with small wheels that fast, it's going to be a bit shaky no matter what the model. My LX has an 11" front, 10" rear and the tires are a lot wider than a Buddy's so overall, more stable at high speeds. But not what I'd describe as smooth!

When I first had the chance to ride bigger bikes on the freeways, I was expecting night and day differences. Not quite, really. Even on the big BMW C-Series with 16" wheels, the sensation of riding at those speeds and on those surfaces is much different. My Helix does okay — low, 12" wheels, with a long wheelbase — but I still feel quite a bit.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I think that tire type, width, pressure as well as center of gravity and suspension play a huge role in a sensation of "stability".

This in fact was my main concern with the Buddy: stability at higher speeds.

I'll find out when I get it and get to ride it in the spring!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have never noticed squirrelly front action on my 170i. I do have a medium
windscreen and I pay attention to the air pressure in bot tires. I ride rural roads at 55-60 and am very pleased with the way it rides. Actually as stable as my TGB 150s with 12" wheels. JMHO. :wink: :wink:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wolfhound wrote:I have never noticed squirrelly front action on my 170i. I do have a medium
windscreen and I pay attention to the air pressure in bot tires. I ride rural roads at 55-60 and am very pleased with the way it rides. Actually as stable as my TGB 150s with 12" wheels. JMHO. :wink: :wink:
That's good for me to know as riding rural roads is my "thing"!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I had the Michelin S1's on mine and the Cuppini shield. It's just the small tires and the light weight for me. Nothing with that weight and size is going to feel very stable at 60mph. It wasn't bad if there wasn't much wind. I just didn't ride on windy days
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

SonnyD wrote:I had the Michelin S1's on mine and the Cuppini shield. It's just the small tires and the light weight for me. Nothing with that weight and size is going to feel very stable at 60mph. It wasn't bad if there wasn't much wind. I just didn't ride on windy days

Do you miss your Buddy?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote:Two things will help with the squirreliness at high speeds: a medium windscreen and really good (properly-inflated) tires. Upgraded suspension will help some, too.
I can't emphasize enough the importance of having good tires for high speed riding. Not only does it vastly improve the feel of the ride, but it makes the scooter safer. High performance tires grip the road better and are usually also rated for higher speeds.

I'm not sure that a medium windscreen makes the ride smoother, but it definitely makes it more comfortable. Well... maybe it does make it smoother. :-)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

its a joke thread lol

didn't like it? didn't like it!?!?!

:rofl:
Riding is riding
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Whimscootie wrote:
SonnyD wrote:I had the Michelin S1's on mine and the Cuppini shield. It's just the small tires and the light weight for me. Nothing with that weight and size is going to feel very stable at 60mph. It wasn't bad if there wasn't much wind. I just didn't ride on windy days

Do you miss your Buddy?
Yeah... it was going to sit all winter in the garage..just getting older. I wanted something different, but I'm not sure I'll end up with anything that can give me more smiles, better MPG, or more reliability then it did... Everything I look at, is probably not going to be nearly as reliable, and low maintenance as the Buddy.... and I may end up with a 170i ?? or a left over Stella.... I really want a Stella...and would really prefer a 2T.... But yeah, I miss it a lot....
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I really like the buddies, but don't own one, why? I have size 13 feet, and they jut don't fit. That i my only real complaint about a long ride on one.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I dd notride one, but when shopping for a new ride i sat all they had (50, 125, 170i, stella, etc) my big feet did not fit anything but stella, my weight made a low rider of anything but stella and with the underbone hump I had a hard time getting my leg through do to my jacked up knee...except (wait for it)......stella

Buddies are cool, but just did fit me...

I got the stella.
dkw12002

Post by dkw12002 »

Similar experience as some previous posts. I have ridden a lot of different scooters, so I couldn't help but compare it to those. It's a good scooter, but at higher speeds, the 10-inch tires are not great. I test rode the 125 and the 170i. Nothing stood out as a deal breaker though, but it wasn't the feeling of, "Wow, I have to buy this."
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

dkw12002 wrote:Similar experience as some previous posts. I have ridden a lot of different scooters, so I couldn't help but compare it to those. It's a good scooter, but at higher speeds, the 10-inch tires are not great. I test rode the 125 and the 170i. Nothing stood out as a deal breaker though, but it wasn't the feeling of, "Wow, I have to buy this."
With my hesitations re this issue I feel that I just had to get one and ride it for awhile as in all other considerations it looks "right" on paper, if ya know what I mean.

The truth will come out in the riding of it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

viney266 wrote:I really like the buddies, but don't own one, why? I have size 13 feet, and they jut don't fit. That i my only real complaint about a long ride on one.
what!!

size 13 here and they most certainly do fit. you have to put the toes and ball of the foot slightly "up" the leg shield which extends the floorboard. it's how i ride most of the time now and is perfect. i might lower one foot or the other sometimes but for the most part it works. also if your feet fit any size 12's could help a little, too

but sure, my shoes fit fine
Riding is riding
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

The Buddy 50 feels great, light and easy to manage. Probably the ideal size and weight for an entry level scooter.

On the other hand, the Buddy 125 and up feel way too squirelly at anything past 50MPH when riding more than a few minutes. This is especially true with the stock tires. I went across a bridge with grating on the road deck at 55MPH in traffic on a friend's Buddy 125 and nearly had to change my underwear afterwards. On my Zuma 155 with wider 12" tires, it is not nearly as sketchy.

Traditionally, most manufacturers seem to choose the upgrade to larger wheels when they hit 80-100cc. My guess is that keeping the same frame and wheel size was a simple (and smart for the most part) money saving move on Genuine's behalf.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

thatvwbusguy wrote:I went across a bridge with grating on the road deck at 55MPH in traffic on a friend's Buddy 125 and nearly had to change my underwear afterwards. On my Zuma 155 with wider 12" tires, it is not nearly as sketchy.
I have ridden across a metal bridge grating on a bike with 18" tires. It was still a fairly unnerving experience in my opinion.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The footboards get me, but then again I have a Stella bias.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Dooglas wrote:
thatvwbusguy wrote:I went across a bridge with grating on the road deck at 55MPH in traffic on a friend's Buddy 125 and nearly had to change my underwear afterwards. On my Zuma 155 with wider 12" tires, it is not nearly as sketchy.
I have ridden across a metal bridge grating on a bike with 18" tires. It was still a fairly unnerving experience in my opinion.
I've had some 'interesting' experiences with metal grate bridges, luckily I can avoid them all in my regular riding. One however, close to home, is only about 25 feet, the issue I see with it is, from the one direction you come into it from a curve, I just slow down, throw on my '4 ways' and zip right across, with caution..... (But I don't have to take it on most occasions)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I've been across a few grated surfaces on my Buddy 125/150 without much of a problem. On the other hand one time I forgot about the expansion joints on the Vincent Thomas when I had decided that it would make for a scenic ride home. I was surprised that going over them was relatively easy. One just was automatically shifted to the left or the right as you crossed the midpoint of the expansion joint. My panic on seeing/remembering them was, fortunately, much worse that the experience of riding over them.

The grooves are 2" wide and about a few feet long each, and since I was crossing the bridge on a cold evening they were pretty well expanded.
Attachments
Picture 6.png
Picture 6.png (148.66 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

I crossed about 2 miles of the Mackinac Bridge on the metal grate, at probably 25mph (I didn't dare look down to check), and I don't think there's any speed at which it would be an enjoyable experience. :shock:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Christophers wrote:
I've been across a few grated surfaces on my Buddy 125/150 without much of a problem. On the other hand one time I forgot about the expansion joints on the Vincent Thomas when I had decided that it would make for a scenic ride home. I was surprised that going over them was relatively easy. One just was automatically shifted to the left or the right as you crossed the midpoint of the expansion joint. My panic on seeing/remembering them was, fortunately, much worse that the experience of riding over them.

The grooves are 2" wide and about a few feet long each, and since I was crossing the bridge on a cold evening they were pretty well expanded.
OMG! That freaked me out just looking at it!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Whimscootie wrote:
Christophers wrote:

OMG! That freaked me out just looking at it!
Me too!! :-o
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Christophers wrote:

I'll be riding over that next week. :)

I was taling to a guy who has a SYM maxi with 14" wheels who won't ride over anything like that, anywhere, at all.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Yeah, and how do you anticipate their existence along your route until it's too late?!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You dont. You pays your money and you takes your chances!!! :lol:
if yoou run into such a situation slow down and ride it out. :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Whimscootie wrote:Yeah, and how do you anticipate their existence along your route until it's too late?!
Coupla things:

- If you have a car available and it's a route that you'll be riding daily, such as when commuting to work, school, or shopping, ride it a couple of times in the car (both ways) to familiarize yourself with the "gotchas".

- Pre-check your route via Google maps (or anything similar). If there are any bridges along the way, just assume that you'll be dealing with steel grates and/or expansion joints. If you don't encounter them, so much the better. If you do, at least you'll be prepared.

I always like to study a new or unfamiliar route before I take it - nothing worse than finding yourself in unfamiliar territory that forces you to ride on a road that exceeds your comfort level.

I'll also show my age here: I always carry a marked-up map with me for reference. Nothing against GPS, it's just a carryover from years of driving and I'm very comfortable with it.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Dooglas wrote:
LOL.....Yeah, I agree. We used to have one in town...I would drive the extra 6 miles to not have to cross it...If your on 2 wheels of any size...They SUCK!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Whimscootie wrote:Yeah, and how do you anticipate their existence along your route until it's too late?!
When I am planning an all day or overnight trip over a route I haven't riddin before I look up information on-line about bridges I will be crossing to see if any of them have a grated deck. If so, I select an alternate route. There are some very good websites that detail various weekend motorcycle loops in the area. They usually always include any information about grated bridge decks, rough or unpaved sections of road, and the like. As charlie55 says, I've been known to drive a route in my cage before a group ride with others to be sure we don't encounter any nasty surprises.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

ericalm wrote:
Christophers wrote:

I'll be riding over that next week. :)

I was taling to a guy who has a SYM maxi with 14" wheels who won't ride over anything like that, anywhere, at all.
It does look far worse than it actually is. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to take a SYM Symba or a Kymco People across those joints without measuring their tires first, just to be sure...
Note that the non-bridge surface-street route around Terminal Island is 11 minutes longer, assuming equal traffic.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i feel pretty good at speed on Buddy. or higher speed, as it is. for a scooter :P

i also wonder if the more stable feel of a bigger, heavier bike is somewhat misleading. on good roads just because a bigger bike feels better planted does that mean it is? bigger, heavier cars feel better planted too but so far as i know a 4500 Caddy can spin out of control just as readily as a 2500 pound Miata, i would think the same goes for cycles but with more severe consequences?

i don't know about traveling for distance at speed on those little wheels but i know some "iron butt" riders do it. but going downhill today, 75mph indicated....it felt pretty good. and 65mph indicated is pretty normal for it. i can do that for some miles, no feeling of instability, really
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What JHscoot says pretty much sums it up so far as I am concerned. My 170i handles as good or better than my larger scoots so I am very pleased with it and look forward to riding the roads around Bryson City next summer. :wink: