My first riding experience since I got my license

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sparty

My first riding experience since I got my license

Post by sparty »

I just got my license yesterday, so I took my orange buddy out for ride. I set out to for a coffee drip to the city, but ended up driving around the countryside. When I got home, my GPS said that I drove 141 miles today!

I got a few waves from fellow bikers. I didn't know that I'm supposed to wave/give the thumb up when I see other bikers... what's the proper gesture? Stick out the hand low/high or thumb up?

I also got two vehicle lauched at me, both times either a big SUV or pickup. It was a little unsettleing. Did anyone else get harassed when they're riding their scooters?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My first riding experience since I got my license

Post by jrsjr »

sparty wrote:I just got my license yesterday, so I took my orange buddy out for ride. I set out to for a coffee drip to the city, but ended up driving around the countryside. When I got home, my GPS said that I drove 141 miles today!
That's great! I love to read about first riding experiences. Sounds like you ended up taking the long way to the coffee shop. :D Welcome to scootering!!!
sparty wrote:I got a few waves from fellow bikers. I didn't know that I'm supposed to wave/give the thumb up when I see other bikers... what's the proper gesture? Stick out the hand low/high or thumb up?
This has been discussed at length on the ModernVespa forum and I still don't know what's best. The problem with giving a big full hand wave is that if you're going fast enough and stick your mitt up into the windstream, it can just about throw you off balance. Some folks like the biker wave which is pointer finger down hanging by your side. Be careful with that, too, as the wind can catch it and give your arm a yank. I don't like dropping my arm like that, so I just throw up a hand real quick and friendly and give 'em a nod, but that's just me. Don't get your feeling hurt if they don't wave back.
sparty wrote:I also got two vehicle lauched at me, both times either a big SUV or pickup. It was a little unsettleing. Did anyone else get harassed when they're riding their scooters?
Goes with the territory, I'm afraid. That's why I usually end every post with...

Ride Safe!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well I am not comfortable waving, esp since one of our forumers sadly wiped out in a wave. I raise my fingers to motorcyclers that acknowledge me and toot to scooterers. sometimes the biggest snickereres actually like the Buddy. we had some do that once at a biker bar and then they could not help themselves and approched us to admit they were kind of taken with the Buddies. And as far as snickering...my husband who is a fit and muscular person rides a Buddy, and I am waiting for some guy in a Harley or crotch rocket to question the manliness of it...and I will say "when you are confident with what you have...and you know what I mean, you do not need big toys to prove your manhood..."
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

peabody99 wrote:well I am not comfortable waving, esp since one of our forumers sadly wiped out in a wave. I raise my fingers to motorcyclers that acknowledge me and toot to scooterers. sometimes the biggest snickereres actually like the Buddy. we had some do that once at a biker bar and then they could not help themselves and approched us to admit they were kind of taken with the Buddies. And as far as snickering...my husband who is a fit and muscular person rides a Buddy, and I am waiting for some guy in a Harley or crotch rocket to question the manliness of it...and I will say "when you are confident with what you have...and you know what I mean, you do not need big toys to prove your manhood..."
That was me!! Happy to say that the "owies" are healing :)
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

glad you are OK and can atest to the possible risk of the waive. I am a nerd when it comes to my Buddy...follow all the rules in book!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I always wave. Of course, I've been riding for a very long time and am quite comfortable riding with one hand. As for the "manliness" of a buddy...real men don't need big wheels.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

It's not the size of the dog in the the fight, but the fight in the dog...