Buying my First Buddy!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootnerd

Buying my First Buddy!

Post by scootnerd »

Howdy,

So I've finally decided to take the plunge in purchasing my first scooter ever, and I've decided in making a buddy my first and only choice. My heart is set on a Little International 50cc in the Pamplona in the Red/Cream Color scheme. Just wondering if they still make this model in a 50cc and if any one can share some of the difficulties or challenges (if any) with the 50cc model. I live in the downtown Baltimore area and I also work about 4-5 blks from my office. Everything that I do is pretty much centered around the same area where I reside, so I don't foresee me venturing onto a highway or express way. Is a 50cc a wise choice for this, or should I just up for the 125cc? i really didn't want to spend more than $2800 for my scoot. Any advice? Thanks for your help and I'm super stoked to becoming a member of Modern buddy!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I do believe they still make them, but even if they don't there seem to be plenty leftover that can be acquired by the dealer.

Congrats, and enjoy! Buddy 50's are great scoots.

if your dealer rocks, they will de-restrict it as part of the 1st service. you may wish to ask :P
skipper20

Re: Buying my First Buddy!

Post by skipper20 »

scootnerd wrote:Howdy,

So I've finally decided to take the plunge in purchasing my first scooter ever, and I've decided in making a buddy my first and only choice. My heart is set on a Little International 50cc in the Pamplona in the Red/Cream Color scheme. Just wondering if they still make this model in a 50cc and if any one can share some of the difficulties or challenges (if any) with the 50cc model. I live in the downtown Baltimore area and I also work about 4-5 blks from my office. Everything that I do is pretty much centered around the same area where I reside, so I don't foresee me venturing onto a highway or express way. Is a 50cc a wise choice for this, or should I just up for the 125cc? i really didn't want to spend more than $2800 for my scoot. Any advice? Thanks for your help and I'm super stoked to becoming a member of Modern buddy!
Go for the 125. 50cc is generally an introductory level and once you've gained a bit of riding skill and confidence, you'll soon get tired of topping out at 35 mph, maybe 40, and want something bigger. Do it now and save yourself some $. Why am I saying this? Because I've been down the same road you're taking and it took me exactly 2 weeks to realize that I had made a mistake buying a 50cc scoot. Think bigger and you can grow into it. It's much easier than starting small and then spending $ trying to make it bigger. Like I said, I've been there and done that. Don't make the same mistake that I made. BTW, $2,800 should buy you a very nice, late model, low mileage Buddy 125 although with end-of-the year inventory clearances going on now, it might just nab you a brand new one with a full warranty. Have fun and ride safe!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I agree with Bill, though I've loved a 50cc for 7 seasons of riding. They have limited use in limited areas to be safe among cars. I rode mine on isolated country roads and then I moved back to the burbs and my 50 could not keep up with the flow of traffic and/or get me out of the way safely.

I am in the process of acquiring a 125, but I will likely own another 50 just for fun.

Get the 125. It will serve you well for years in many different situations.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Get a 125 instead of a 50.

I also went about 2 weeks before deciding that the 50 just wasn't going to cut it for urban traffic.

You'll be so much happier with the larger displacement scooter.
ferg52

Post by ferg52 »

I recently got my first scooter, a pristine Buddy 125. Found it on Craigslist and paid $1700. If you really look around I am sure you will find a 125 to fit your budget.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

All of the above is good advise. I have had 50cc units, liked them but performance was not satisfactory in the long run.You will be better served
with a Buddy 125 for your needs. :clap:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
TVB

Re: Buying my First Buddy!

Post by TVB »

scootnerd wrote:So I've finally decided to take the plunge in purchasing my first scooter ever, and I've decided in making a buddy my first and only choice. My heart is set on a Little International 50cc in the Pamplona in the Red/Cream Color scheme. Just wondering if they still make this model in a 50cc
They're still being made, though there's no guarantee that your local dealer has one in stock.
and if any one can share some of the difficulties or challenges (if any) with the 50cc model. I live in the downtown Baltimore area and I also work about 4-5 blks from my office. Everything that I do is pretty much centered around the same area where I reside, so I don't foresee me venturing onto a highway or express way. Is a 50cc a wise choice for this, or should I just up for the 125cc? i really didn't want to spend more than $2800 for my scoot. Any advice? Thanks for your help and I'm super stoked to becoming a member of Modern buddy!
You'll get a lot of knee-jerk recommendations based on personal experiences and preferences not to buy a 50cc. But I didn't listen to them, and I've been very happy with my choice. It really comes down to where and how you want to ride, and it's impossible to determine from what you've said whether it'd be suitable. For 55mph roads or 45mph roads with substantial traffic, a 50cc is not a good choice. For slower and quieter roads, a derestricted* 50cc is fine.

One test you can do is to try driving the places you plan to go, keeping your speed at 40mph or below. If it feels (or sounds) like traffic is getting backed up behind you, a 50cc isn't fast enough. But keep in mind that there are usually alternate routes you can take to get places; when I ride the scooter to work (which I do 9 months out of the year, weather permitting) I don't go the same way as I take the car; I stick to residential roads 35mph and below instead of a couple miles on a 55mph highway. To get to the movie theater I take the same route I'd take on my bicycle. I've been on road trips all over the state of Michigan, by taking little-used old highways and county roads and (with a few necessary exceptions) staying off anything with both a 55mph speed limit and traffic.

Traveling at 35mph takes a different mindset than traveling at 55mph, just like traveling at 15mph on a bike would. It takes more time (obviously) and more planning. It requires dealing with limitations. It's not for everyone. But if you have – or can adapt to – that way of thinking, it's a great experience. I enjoy the 15-minute ride to work in the morning, unlike the 10-minute drive. (I'm sure I'd enjoy the ride on a faster scoot too, but let's be honest: I'd probably end up taking that 55mph highway, and miss out on some of the nice parts of the route I take instead.) I've been up to Tahquamenon Falls (300 miles as the crow flies) twice: once by car and once by 50cc, and the latter was by far a better trip. Yes, you can also go 35mph on a 125cc ... but will you?

To be fair, I've never heard of anyone who opted for the 125cc and regretted it. And there are people who opted for a 50cc and did regret it, because they wanted to go faster. But I didn't want to, and 23,000 miles later, I'm still perfectly happy with my 50cc.

*All 50cc scooters imported into the US are artificially restricted to 30mph to qualify as "mopeds" in most states. Removing this is a simple procedure and generally gives another 10mph. It's a violation of licensing requirements, but unlikely to be "caught".
scootnerd

Post by scootnerd »

First, thanks so much for all of your feed back. After I posted this i decided to do a bit more research and checked out a speed limit map for most of the streets/roads I'd be riding on. Most of those roads have speed limits of 30-35mph which is something I'd be totally comfortable with but wouldn't that mean I'd me maxing out the scooter to it's highest speed which would wear down the engine? Also the shop where I'd be purchasing the scoot from also has a used 2009 Buddy 50cc with 2100miles on it for $1400 (link provided below). I kinda liked the idea of buying new because I'd have a warranty but do you all think buying used would be ideal for a first time scooter driver?

Thanks again for all of your insight.

http://www.motostrada.com/2013/09/for-s ... dy-50.html[/quote]
scootnerd

Post by scootnerd »

skully93

Post by skully93 »

A 50cc should be fine for that actually. You might enjoy a 125 for overall power and such, a buddy 50 will work wonders on 35mph roads, assuming people generally stick to the speed limit. If everyone is flying around at 50, then....maybe not so much.

One reason a lot of people get 50cc is the lack of need to get a MC endorsement. This I don't recommend. Take the course, even if you never ride anything above a 50. it will only benefit you. Many of my local friends have had spills before the MSF class, but very few after.

We have a 125 and 150, and we love them. We also live in an area with mountains, canyons, and probably abuse them a bit.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The problem with posted speed limits that I have found is that very few obey them. On my two lane county road the speed limit is 55. I have had cars pass me doing 70 and in my car I have followed a few to verify that speed. On a posted 35 mph city street I would not go for less than a 125cc scooter. :(
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I second skully's recommendation of the motorcycle safety course. I took it before I ever rode anything 2 wheeled and gas powered. You learn a lot of important basic maneuvers and (here in PA anyway) it is an instant upgrade from your learners permit to your class M license which you'd need to ride over 50cc anyway.

As my instructor said, the worst, or best that can happen when you first take the course, is you realize you don't enjoy motorcycles and don't feel comfortable on one. At least you've saved yourself buying one and having to get rid of it when you realize you hate it. Or maybe even worse, buying it, being scared and forcing yourself to ride it anyway and always being nervous.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Some people will always recommend the biggest scooter you can afford. I prefer the smallest scoot the accomplishes what I want or need.

For what you describe, a 50cc scooter would do the trick.

What a lot of people find when they start riding, though, is that they want to do more, go further and faster, beyond what they originally bought the scooter for. Because it's fun. :)

Though a 50cc can handle that, it's definitely more of a challenge. Some people embrace the challenge. Others prefer to go bigger.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scootnerd

Post by scootnerd »

Thanks Skully93 & TVP for the tips. I think for now I'm going to go with my gut and try out the 50cc and get it new so that a least I'll have a warranty and I get the fun of breaking it in myself. I live in a pretty artsy area with a lot of museums and schools so the traffic is relatively average, kinda stop and go, so bases on what you said I think a 50cc should definitely meet my needs, and after getting it derestricted and adding a performance pipe i think I should be A-ok :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

So, then the cool thing is in most places you can park 50cc nearly anyplace!

They also hold their value pretty well, so if you ride it for 6 months and decide to go bigger, chances are you can sell it without too painful of a loss. Or if you're like me, you anthropomorphize every stupid bike ever, and you'll end up with a small herd to maintain :P
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

skully93 wrote:So, then the cool thing is in most places you can park 50cc nearly anyplace!

They also hold their value pretty well, so if you ride it for 6 months and decide to go bigger, chances are you can sell it without too painful of a loss. Or if you're like me, you anthropomorphize every stupid bike ever, and you'll end up with a small herd to maintain :P
If sidewalk or off-street parking is your primary motivator for a 50cc scoot, check with your local authorities before taking the plunge. No matter what size the scooter, it's not allowed in my neighborhood.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
TVB

Post by TVB »

scootnerd wrote:First, thanks so much for all of your feed back. After I posted this i decided to do a bit more research and checked out a speed limit map for most of the streets/roads I'd be riding on. Most of those roads have speed limits of 30-35mph which is something I'd be totally comfortable with but wouldn't that mean I'd me maxing out the scooter to it's highest speed which would wear down the engine? Also the shop where I'd be purchasing the scoot from also has a used 2009 Buddy 50cc with 2100miles on it for $1400 (link provided below). I kinda liked the idea of buying new because I'd have a warranty but do you all think buying used would be ideal for a first time scooter driver?
Genuine offers a two-year warranty because the scooters (usually) don't need it. :) So the lack of a warranty on a used bike isn't something I'd worry about. As for running the engine at top speed, I routinely ran mine at the upper end of its range for over 22K miles before it needed any engine work other than routine maintenance (replacing sparks, belt, rollers). I'd be a little concerned about a scooter that's gone only 2100 miles in 5 years, because they can develop problems from sitting too long (e.g it's hard on the battery), but if the shop has checked it out, it's probably OK.
scootnerd

Post by scootnerd »

Hmm very interesting. Now I'm thinking maybe used is the way to go. Took a look around craigslist and was shocked to find several used buddies in my area for sale. Someone is selling a 2013 170i for $2300 that has only 700 miles. Does that legit? seems like it would be priced more than, no.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4167606324.html[/i]
skully93

Post by skully93 »

scootnerd wrote:Hmm very interesting. Now I'm thinking maybe used is the way to go. Took a look around craigslist and was shocked to find several used buddies in my area for sale. Someone is selling a 2013 170i for $2300 that has only 700 miles. Does that legit? seems like it would be priced more than, no.

Many people buy them, think they are fun, and then either have a minor spill, realize how much add on gear you use, or just plain don't enjoy it.

I would say most scoots die from neglect, such as people buying them, riding them 50 miles a year, and then getting frustrated when it doesn't run right.

if that 170i has a clear title and is undamaged, that is a heck of a deal. Fuel Injection is kinda nice!
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Definitely look around for a deal. I wasn't even in the market for a 2nd scooter and my friend happened to find a Buddy 150 St. Tropez on Craigslist. I showed it to my wife and after we went to see it in person, she had to have it. It had less than 2000 miles and I got it for $1650.

You may find that a 50cc is plenty, but if there's even a possibility that you might want to go bigger in the future, why wait?
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I bought my 06 Buddy 125 this past may with 2100 miles on it for 1400, it never gave me a seconds problem....I replaced things like Tires, tubes, but only cause I wanted too. I've found a lot of really nice low mileage scooters that have been sitting with not many miles on them. Of course when I got mine, the owner was meticulous about it, and had just had a full service and new battery installed..... WARNING......They are Addictive.. I found I rode mine way more then I ever figured I would
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
Rob

Post by Rob »

scootnerd wrote:Hmm very interesting. Now I'm thinking maybe used is the way to go. Took a look around craigslist and was shocked to find several used buddies in my area for sale. Someone is selling a 2013 170i for $2300 that has only 700 miles. Does that legit? seems like it would be priced more than, no.

I'm in the camp of going with the larger scoot. As Eric mentioned, I think it's very likely that you'll soon find yourself wanting to go farther and faster. That being said, if you decide to go with the 50cc, you should be able to upgrade later on without losing much on the resale, particularly if you go used.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hi scootnerd :)

i concur with others, get more cc's if possible. especially if getting a Buddy because its small and the same size scooter across the line except for the engine. so go bigger cc on a new 125 imo if you can get a good deal or go ahead and get a low mileage used one

also want to point out that you have a SYM / Lance dealer local to you and the Lance PCH and Havana / Cali Classic 125's and 150's are good, low cost choices on a new scooter. but, they're not Buddy's and are bigger. still worth a consideration if bumping up cc's

http://www.collegescootersmd.com/

but yeah i'd get a used Buddy 170i at the same price as a new Lance or a used 125 for way less. still, a good choice the Lance's for scoots that are new with warranty
Riding is riding
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Nothing wrong with a 50cc but I'm with most on this thread. Get a 125cc or a used 150cc. Now is the time when your more likely to get a better deal so strike while the irons hot....
Ninjasurfergirl

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

I happen to love my 50cc Buddy. I bought it because my fiance is a delivery driver and we share a car, so when she works, I'm pretty much stuck. I live in Savannah, GA and ride basically everywhere. She's derestricted, so I can get her to go a little bit faster, I hang out in the right lane except for turning, and just take back roads. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to work, which is 10 miles away, and 40 minutes to get to school, which is about 18 miles away, of course depending on lights and traffic. I think that a 50cc in the city is perfectly fine. If its your first scoot and you live in the city, I think it's a good choice. I was going to go for the 125, but decided I didn't feel like messing with the motorcycle endorsement at this point in my life. I rented a scooter just for fun for an afternoon and was hooked. I bought my Buddy that day and am 100% happy!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ninjasurfergirl wrote:I rented a scooter just for fun for an afternoon and was hooked. I bought my Buddy that day and am 100% happy!
It's awesome how many people rent somewhere and wind up buying soon afterwards. Warms my heart. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

I bought my Blackjack soon after renting a 50cc scooter and loving it.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Other thoughts: maybe you don't care to ride above 40 mph, but if you are in a situation among traffic to where you need to get out of the way fast, you can with a 125. Not with a 50.

Also: just cause you're riding a 125 scoot it does not mean you have to ride fast as a noob...
You have a choice.

But

With a 50 you won't have the capacity to ride faster to go farther.
You won't have a choice.

I prefer having the choice if I am going to lay out that kind of money.

When I first took up riding 6 years ago I lived so far out in the country that I never saw a car. I never worried about ''getting out of the way''.

I did, however, get tired of never being able to ride as fast as I would have liked in order to take day trips in a timely manner or join others on group rides because I could not keep up on a 49cc.

Again, ''choices''.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good point, Deb!! :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:Again, ''choices''.
Yes, it is about the choices people make. A lot of people are more concerned about "big enough" and "fast enough". That's what's fuelled the SUV and maxi-truck trend among motorists: always buying the most vehicle they could ever possibly need ... just in case they ever needed to haul a ton of bricks, or just in case they ever needed to accelerate from 0 to 60 in a few seconds.

But that's not what I bought a scooter for.

I bought a scooter because I already had a vehicle that would do all that. My car could haul large objects, or take me on the expressway, or let me pull out into traffic prematurely and get away with it because I had horsepower to spare. But I didn't want to travel that way. Instead of a vehicle that would compensate for my mistakes, I wanted one that would encourage me not to make them. I could've bought a scooter (or even a motorcycle) that would equal the handling specs of my car, but to me, there'd be no point in doing that. A scooter that will go 60mph seems more dangerous to its rider than one that won't.

If you want to go fast, don't buy a 50cc. They're not particularly good at just getting from Point A to Point B, and keeping up with the speed-thirsty Joneses. But if you want to experience the places you're going through, if you're really "scootin' for a slower pace of life", and you don't have the stamina to do it by bicycle (yeah, I'm getting too old for that), a 50cc scooter will be a better choice for it than one with a bigger engine.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Sarcastic reference to my blog aside, you missed my point completely. I couldn't care less about ''big enough, fast enough''.

Just because one has more ccs does not mean they have to ride like a speed demon, etc..

My riding style and purpose won't change with an upgrade to 125 from 49 much. I may spend less time pulling over to let cars pass me. I will continue to pick my routes out to be as car free as possible.

I ride mostly rural back roads and I will now have a longer range over shorter periods of time to do some day trips.

I will also be able to more safely commute sometimes on 45 mph 2 lane rural and suburban roads to my office without getting my ass run over.

Hence my range of choices opens up.

And btw, I still ride and love my 49cc machine too.

And nothing is going to change in my scooting world in terms of how I experience the world as I move through it on a scooter.

In fact, I will see more of that world, be able to go places on a day ride that were too inconvenient or unsafe in town before, and now also get to join some local scooter outings with others.

I've ridden all over the southern county areas on my 49 cc scoots too. Done some pretty long rides with no lack of enjoyment.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Again, well said. :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

They're rare to find these days, but if you end up finding a yamaha c3, and you really want a 50, take a look at those. if you de-restrict them and put in some sliders (which can be done in one smooth motion) they're nearly as fast as a buddy 50, and get some really nice MPG. You either love them or don't, but if I had the chance to pick one up at a decent price I probably would.

Then again, anything over 65mpg just seems like showing off :P.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

We have a Roughhouse (50), a Psycho 125 (for which I traded in a regular Buddy 125), and a Blur (DH's ride). For the type of riding you describe I do think a 50 would suit your needs.

You might just let the financial aspect be the deciding factor. If you find an incredible deal on a lightly-used 125, don't pass it up. But my personal guess (though it is of course just a guess) is that you will not find too many situations in which the 50 wouldn't be enough for your regular needs, as you summarized them. And you'd have new with warranty, a relationship with the shop you buy from, etc.

In my area (central VA) I have seen some incredible deals on 125s, 150s, and the like, lightly used. 50s not so much (meaning incredible deals on very lightly-used bikes, not saying you don't find used 50s for sale). Plus the 50s remain strong sellers for scooter shops. Somebody (or a lot of somebodies) must be buying them and keeping them! And not just the DUI riders, either.

Bottom line, though, is you really can't lose either way. All the Buddies are great scoots and almost guaranteed to make you smile from the first twist 'n go.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

skully93 wrote:They're rare to find these days, but if you end up finding a yamaha c3, and you really want a 50, take a look at those. if you de-restrict them and put in some sliders (which can be done in one smooth motion) they're nearly as fast as a buddy 50, and get some really nice MPG. You either love them or don't, but if I had the chance to pick one up at a decent price I probably would.

Then again, anything over 65mpg just seems like showing off :P.
I love the C3 too and am kind of looking for one to keep my Buddy company. Wider tires, longer wheelbase, fuel-injected with a kickstarter, water cooled, huge underseat storage, lower seat.

I like the looks of them too! Funky!
MWPMWP

Post by MWPMWP »

I can't remember who posted the comment earlier about being cautious about the low miles on the old scooters, but I have something to add about that.

New Buddy scooters don't come out every year. I bought a new Buddy scooter a full two-and-a-half years after the model year, straight from the showroom floor. The example (Buddy 50) in the link could be half as old as you think it is in terms of use.
scootnerd

Post by scootnerd »

Well after 4plus months I can finally say that I'm a proud owner of a 2014 Genuine buddy 50cc! Went to my local dealer Saturday and even got a deal on the labor, and price. Also got it derestricted as well. Thanks so much for all the help and I look forward to posting more questions since Im a first time owner!
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Congrats on the purchase!