is keenway reliable chinese scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ggs34

is keenway reliable chinese scooter?

Post by ggs34 »

my local scooter guy only sells kenway any one on here ever buy one? rode one etc?
TVB

Post by TVB »

You don't find the phrase "reliable Chinese* scooter" used a whole lot. Not that they're all bad, but you never know until it's too late whether yours is one of them. Having a local shop that's been in business selling them for a while, and is willing to offer some sort of warranty would be the only way that I'd take the risk.

*not to be confused with Taiwanese
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Are you sure that's not Keeway, those I've heard of

Chinese everything
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Keeway has a better rep than most, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

Buying mainstream is a bit more pricey, but you also guaranty that you buy what you need to fix/maintain it. A lot of 'off' brand scoots become extremely hard, assuming they run well in the first place.

We have a lot of Roketas here, which do OK, but some of the parts don't always match spec, etc. Generally people buy them for $500 and ride them til they break, and then leave them to rot. buying body panels after a year is a fool's errand.

good luck!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're going for a budget Chinese scoot, the Lances are probably your best bet. Not as cheap as some, but probably as good as the Chinese-built Kymcos. Their dealer support and warranty service has really improved in the pastor few years, too. This tends to be the budget line you'll find in shops selling Taiwanese scoots.

You might be better off finding a used — even ±20-years-old — Honda or Yamaha than going with Keeway or similar. They require little maintenance — cheaper to own than many new Taiwanese scooters — and the Hondas, in particular, are ridiculously durable and reliable. Elite 150s are dirt cheap.

I know a couple people who love their generic mainland Chinese scoots, but they treat them like they're disposable. They don't maintain them (many need oil changes every 500 miles), they just ride them until they break then ditch them and get another one. Not my way of doing things. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skipper20

Re: is keenway reliable chinese scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

ggs34 wrote:my local scooter guy only sells kenway any one on here ever buy one? rode one etc?
I don't know anything about the brand but your question indicates that you're planning on expanding your existing stable of 2 scooters, both 200ccs or more engine size, to 3 scooters. With those existing engine sizes and if it were me, I'd drop down a bit and shop for something around 150ccs. Mainland Chinese scooters are still a question mark as far as reliability and parts/service support are concerned. But, you could get lucky and the bike might run forever with very little preventive maintenance. But, if it were me, I'd be looking at something like an older Honda Elite 150 which you could probably pick up for less than the price of a newer Kenway/Keenway. They're basically bullet-proof, a lot of fun to ride and when repairs are needed, parts are still readily available. And, most importantly, they have excellent resale value since very few of us keep our rides forever. I would be concerned that when it comes time to sell the Kenway (sp?) and move on to something else, responses to your ad would be few and far between.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
'08 250ie Sport City
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

All of the above. :clap: :clap: From my experience, Chinese=NO :headache: :headache:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:If you're going for a budget Chinese scoot, the Lances are probably your best bet. Not as cheap as some, but probably as good as the Chinese-built Kymcos. Their dealer support and warranty service has really improved in the pastor few years, too. This tends to be the budget line you'll find in shops selling Taiwanese scoots.
just want to make clear for op not to buy a leftover pre SYM Lance. Lance really does not sell chinese scooters anymore. they sell scooters made in china. lot's of things are made in china. my sunglasses and the computer i am typing on, for instance. it does not make it "chinese"

go out and buy a pre SYM Lance and you will be getting a chinese Znen, not a "made in china" SYM. a scooter newbie may not understand this so thought i'd clear it up
Riding is riding
Witch

Post by Witch »

My two cents...
I personally would never buy any scoot made in China that wasn't under a really well-known name like Aprilia or Piaggio (I think most of the Scarabeo line has been made there for a while now, as well as the Fly). You might convince me to try out a current Lance/SYM, but I don't consider them a huge contender right now. I rely on my bikes too much to risk having all the problems Chinese scoots are still generally known for. I have heard some stories of a few being just fine, but I've heard far more horror stories.

Personal opinion.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I agree with Eric, buy an older used Honda or Yamaha for the same or little bit more money. I'd stay away from the Keeway and other Chinese scooters.

The local scooter shop hates working on the Chinese stuff.
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

The two least used phrases in the English language:

"Reliable Chinese Scooter"

AND...

"That's the banjo player's Porsche"
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"
skully93

Post by skully93 »

iMoses wrote:I agree with Eric, buy an older used Honda or Yamaha for the same or little bit more money. I'd stay away from the Keeway and other Chinese scooters.

Ours discourages you as much as possible by saying they need a deposit up front, and not being able to warranty anything but their labor.

A few still show up, and the mechanics still give it their best.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Witch wrote:My two cents...
You might convince me to try out a current Lance/SYM, but I don't consider them a huge contender right now...

Personal opinion.
Most of the SYM line is made in Taiwan, just like the Buddys. The exceptions are the entry-level models like the Fiddle II.

You are right, the Lance models, like the Fiddle are made in the mainland, but in SYM's plant there. Consequently the quality is much higher than your average ChinaScoot.

Personally, if I were in the market for a second modern-styled scoot above a 50 or 125cc, I'd buy the HD200. Arguably the best new sub-200cc scoot in America.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Odds are, with a Chinese scoot you will have some issues.
They are great for someone who wants to save money and likes to tinker on their scoot instead of relying on a dealer for everything.
Parts for the GY6 engine are readily and inexpensively available, as are other mechanical/electrical parts.
I really liked my RH50 but ended up needing a trike for medical reasons.
For less than $2400 I bought a fully assembled, PDI'd trike delivered to my door. It's a 150cc Ruckus clone. Other than Chinese, the least expensive trike option I found was a Piaggio MP3 250 for over 7 grand. Which, as far as I know, might be manufactured in China anyway.
So even after putting less than $200 into the trike for a high performance carb, intake, air filter and coil, I'm still way ahead of the game.
Plus I'm learning how to work on scoots. lol.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote:
iMoses wrote:I agree with Eric, buy an older used Honda or Yamaha for the same or little bit more money. I'd stay away from the Keeway and other Chinese scooters.

Ours discourages you as much as possible by saying they need a deposit up front, and not being able to warranty anything but their labor.

And that's why they have not yet gotten business from my sister or I.

If Cosmo isn't good enough then neither is Blackbird.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

TomCat wrote:Other than Chinese, the least expensive trike option I found was a Piaggio MP3 250 for over 7 grand. Which, as far as I know, might be manufactured in China anyway.
Nope, they are not. And MP3 250s still available have been going for 3-4k lately. An MP3 is not really a trike, though, in the way I think you mean it - i.e. they will fall over.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ravenlore wrote:
skully93 wrote:

And that's why they have not yet gotten business from my sister or I.

If Cosmo isn't good enough then neither is Blackbird.
Unfortunately you're dealing with the leftovers of many idiotic predecessors. So many people dropped them off, then when called about the bill, just abandoned them. Legally they can't just toss 'em (because they don't own it...) so then their lot was filled with abandoned stuff that couldn't be resold or tossed. The deposit is small (like $50, and nothing is less than that ever) so I'd find it worthwhile.

There are other games in town, but they're mostly mobile and not really beholden to anyone if they break your scoot. If you just wanted basic service I'm sure the shop would get you in, it's major repairs they shy away from.
anton walbrook

Post by anton walbrook »

Keeway is a very good scooter. They are one of the top 10 brands in Italy, and sell more than PGO there. They come with a 2 year warranty, and a lot of performance parts are available for the 2 strokes and the 150 Outlook. I looked at a couple before I got my Buddy.
Syd

Post by Syd »

anton walbrook wrote:Keeway is a very good scooter. They are one of the top 10 brands in Italy, and sell more than PGO there. They come with a 2 year warranty, and a lot of performance parts are available for the 2 strokes and the 150 Outlook. I looked at a couple before I got my Buddy.
I can't say as I have ever seen Keeway in a list of top sellers in Italy (those numbers are occasionally posted over at Modern Vespa. Could you provide a link?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Syd wrote:
anton walbrook wrote:Keeway is a very good scooter. They are one of the top 10 brands in Italy, and sell more than PGO there. They come with a 2 year warranty, and a lot of performance parts are available for the 2 strokes and the 150 Outlook. I looked at a couple before I got my Buddy.
I can't say as I have ever seen Keeway in a list of top sellers in Italy (those numbers are occasionally posted over at Modern Vespa. Could you provide a link?
A little quick googling, and this lists a Keeway bike in the top 100 models. As for selling more than PGO... do they do business in Italy? I would think their deal with Piaggio would have kept them out of that market while it was in effect, and they may not have made an attempt at it since then.
anton walbrook

Post by anton walbrook »

They are distributed in Italy by Quanjiang, which is Keeway, Benelli and CPI parent company. Big Italian design center. There is a chart but I dont know how to post it. PGO does sell in Italy according to google.
Go to Malossi or Polini store and compare products offered for PGO and Keeway. They made products for popular models.
ggs34

scoot

Post by ggs34 »

thanks for all the input
i know even kymco has its problems my friend bought a left over 09 people 250s and has had nothing but problems with it it keeps melting the starter cable and burns up the starter this has happen 2 times. He ending up selling it and calling it a lemon
Now i do not want to buy anything from kymco any time soon hope no one else has this problem
so i do not know if the starters were made in china or not but they sure did not last long just some thoughts
az_slynch

Re: scoot

Post by az_slynch »

ggs34 wrote:thanks for all the input
i know even kymco has its problems my friend bought a left over 09 people 250s and has had nothing but problems with it it keeps melting the starter cable and burns up the starter this has happen 2 times. He ending up selling it and calling it a lemon
Now i do not want to buy anything from kymco any time soon hope no one else has this problem
so i do not know if the starters were made in china or not but they sure did not last long just some thoughts
Sounds like a helluva short if it's melting the cable and frying the starter. Was the starter relay ever checked? Any other electrical problems (e.g. start button)?

I haven't heard anything ill from the Kymco riders I know. My Yager GT200i has been bulletproof so far, much to my delight. SYM scooters are building a better US presence through Alliance Powersports and the bikes I've seen so far are pretty reliable as well. Both these marques have contracted for Honda before and have been in business since the 1960s; I'd like to think that they how to build a world-class product by now. Heck, both BMW and Kawasaki are partnering with Kymco for their own product lines; seems like a good endorsement too.

I must admit that I find the idea of migrating to a PRC scooter when dissatisfied with a Taiwan (ROC) scoot somewhat peculiar. I'd expect one to go upmarket for a Japanese marque or a European marque. Pursuing the former course may be a good way to reset one's expectations, though.

Regardless of what you choose to ride, I hope it's a trouble-free ride.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:
Syd wrote:
A little quick googling, and this lists a Keeway bike in the top 100 models. As for selling more than PGO... do they do business in Italy? I would think their deal with Piaggio would have kept them out of that market while it was in effect, and they may not have made an attempt at it since then.
Huh, I couldn't find a list that deep. Gotta admit, though 80th is pretty far from top 10.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I saw a lot of Keeways in Paris a couple years ago, but they were still a minority to Piaggio/Vespa, Honda, Yamaha, SYM, etc. They were possibly the most common Chinese brand though.

But, as we know, the importer/dealer network is just as important as the manufacturing quality, and I don't think Keyway has a very strong importer or dealer network in the USA. I try not to be biased about this kind of stuff, but you just don't see them at top-tier retailers that have been around for a while, so it makes you wonder how reliable the bikes are and the importer is, if they stock parts and honor warranties, etc. A strong importer (like they maybe have in France) builds relationships with the factory and good dealers, does marketing, supports customers and dealers, and can even influence the quality of the manufactuing. (PGO scooters, despite their quality, aren't quite as highly regarded in other countries largely because the quality of Genuine, the importer, adds so much to their value and reputation here by standing behind their product and doing better branding and marketing than just about anyone).

Looking at Keeway's dealer list, I only see one dealer I've heard of, and going to their site, they don't even have Keeway listed. Looking at other Keeway dealer's sites, most of them seem like low-rent, inexperienced rural strip-mall kinda places that don't sell any major brands. Some are small motorcycle dealers that don't seem too committed to scooters. One dealer I checked was a paintball dealer that seemed to sell them on the side. I'd be surprised if some of these places even have dealer licenses and are selling them legally. If the distributor can't get them in decent dealers, I think that's a BIG red flag. Any scooter dealer would love to have a cheaper scooter in their lineup, it allows them more markup and an easier entry point for new customers. But they know better than to sell bikes they can't trust, because that just results in maintenance headaches and angry customers. I've been to a few of the dealer shows over the years, and everyone's hoping to finally find the "good" chinese importer, and a few importers (flyscooters, Schwinn, TNG, and pre-SYM Lance Powersports, for instance) put on a good show but in the long run, just didn't cut the mustard.

B.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The alternative to a Chinese brand scooter (although walking is a better alternative compared to any Chinese brand scooter) is the Kymco Agility. A new 125cc can be had for around $2100 OTD and used ones under 10k miles can be had as cheap as a grand! Super durable, reliable and easy to work on to boot. Yes, it is made in a plant in China, but Kymco OWNS that plant and controls it's product pretty tight. And, Kymco has a pretty good dealer network in the states and one of the best warranties in the biz (2year/unlimited mileage).
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>