Painting a Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

laurfunkle

Painting a Buddy?

Post by laurfunkle »

Hey guys, I've been a member for a while but this is my first post! I love this forum!

I'm looking for some advice on painting a Buddy myself. I have a 2007 cream 125 (which I LOVE the color of), but I'm selling it to my boyfriend (I got myself a brand-spankin' new red Buddy 125 with a black out kit-I like to think it's about as bad-ass as a Bud can look! :P ) and he really wants to paint it black. I know we'll have to remove the panels in order to paint them, but I was wondering if anyone here has advice on what kind/brand of paint to use to make the most even and long-lasting paint job. Also any tips on making a satin/glass finish smooth? I'm sure flat/matte would be easier but of course he wants a little shine to it. lol.

I've of course let him know that he could always buy the body panels in black one by one but I think he's leaning more towards the cheaper/faster option of paint.

Any and all help is much appreciated!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Krylon Fusion is a special paint for plastics which comes in spray cans. With some care and patience it is possible to do a pretty good job with this stuff. It comes in a wide selection of colors including gloss, satin, and flat black. I believe Rustoleum makes a similar product.
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

Check out Plasti-Dip also. It comes in a variety of colors and if you decide you don't like the color, you can peel it off.... I just did the cowls and Horncast on my Stella. It come out well, but I have no long term durability on the Plasti-Dip.

I used Krylon Fusion (for plastic) on my son's Kymco and it sprayed well and seems to be holding up well.

Make sure you clean the panels well, otherwise the paint has a tendency to orange peel. It is also important to make sure the temperature is warm enough or you will have drying issues.

Good Luck!
Attachments
Kymco Super painted with Krylon Fusion
Kymco Super painted with Krylon Fusion
Super8.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
05 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
05 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would see if someone wanted to do a panel swap. Cream was retired long ago. Not sure why it's a great color!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Witch

Post by Witch »

I just had help doing mine with Krylon. Just sanded, added an adhesion promoter/primer, and color of choice. I went with Satin Oxford Blue (not available in Fusion, unfortunately). Not too shiny, not too matte. I haven't had it long, but it seems to be holding up pretty well for starters.

Part of the nice thing about just doing Krylon is that it's so easy, and you can just pop a part off and re-spray it yourself if you need to. You don't really need to do too much special to get it to look right.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

You can have about any color you want made up at an Automotive Paint store... from mild to wild..... they just have to add a Flex agent to it....It's more pricey, but your colors are unlimited......Just make sure they can put it in a spray can, if you want to do it that way.....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Super helpful. :)