I went down...ow

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

I went down...ow

Post by skully93 »

So Mother Nature decided to smite me today. Wind blew me and several others off the road on 93 near Boulder. I was riding my Scarabeo. One person claimed the gust was 90, though I don't quite believe that. Bottom line, I had to lay it down or get blown into a barbed wire fence! The couple miles up to crashing I had been riding at what felt like 45 degrees. There was no place to pull over and no place to stop, so...

I don't feel too bad as a large Dodge pickup also blew off.

A recent transplant from TX, ironically named Scooter, was a fellow rider. He had the truck and gear to help me off the road and into town. I owe that guy and his fiance' a dinner. I'm very grateful for the assistance, that guy was super cool.

The bike will have to remain in Boulder and get some love from Sportique and the insurance. Lots of plastics damage and a little bit of twist in the forks.

I'm sore but not significantly hurt. Ride safe my friends!
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

Wow, Scully93! Sorry to hear this happened to you, but happy to hear you're okay. Glad you had some good samaritans on the road to help you with the scoot. I hope what remains of your holiday is calm and uneventful.

Fiona
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Damn dude that sucks. Sorry this had to be mother nature's Christmas gift. Heal well and ride on....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yikes dude! Hope you and your bike are back in fighting shape soon!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

Sounds like you came out of it relatively well, all things considered. Any crash you can walk away from....

But if you find yourself hurting tomorrow (after the yo-I-can-handle-it hormones wear off), don't hesitate to get it checked out. Putting up with a bicycling injury and waiting for it to heal (instead of getting the surgery needed to fix it) was one of the more foolish things I've done in my life.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I've read that laughter is the best medicine, so here you go:
TVB wrote:Any crash you can walk away from....
...is a good crash. A great crash is when you can re-use the scooter.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I went down...ow

Post by jrsjr »

skully93 wrote:I'm sore but not significantly hurt.
Whew! Glad you're not hurt any worse. I always cringe when I see a new crash thread. I hope you and your scooter are both 100% very soon.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow! Scary stuff. I can't even imagine what that whole experience must have been like, even before you got blown over. :shock:

I'm glad you are okay enough to be telling us about it though, and hope the rest of your Christmas is less eventful!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

All of the above!!!! Insurance will cover the repairs, hopefully you will be just
kinda sore, AND think of the great story you will have to tell in the years to come :!:
Merry Christmass to one and all.
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Geico is on the case!

I am sore, but fine. tiny bits of road rash but nothing terrible.

Geico has treated me well in the past, but it will probably be a month or so before I get it back (assuming there's no permanent damage).

Merry Xmas everyone!
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

DUDE! Hope all is well!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Wow - really glad you're ok. The wind that day was intense and came on really fast.
Syd

Post by Syd »

That road is treacherous in the wind, and the wind is bad this time of year. The first year I lived in Westminster, just south of Jeffco, the windspeed thing-y there broke at 95mph. :shock: Our new house was tight enough to block the noise of the wind, but the wind would nudge it from time to time.

Glad you're ok skully.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Oh no, I am so sorry! I am glad you are OK. you know I went riding Christmas . I had this giant 200 ride all figured out, canyon, coast, mountain, desert . I checked the forecasts for all the micro climates before leaving, and one area (mountains) had 18-20 mph winds...no biggie. Well I get out there and it was a LOT worse. I had to seek refuge, check the weather and come to find out 55 MPH winds had kicked up. Given the new wind advisory was in effect for the next 24 hours and I was truly in the middle of nowhere, I decided to try and head back, but got trapped out in open country with no place to get away from the wind. At this point riding was easier than holding the scooter up sitting on it on the road side. I have really never been more terrifed...like near tears in helmet. I was almost blown over and or into on coming traffic or off the road more times than I can count. I tried to tell myself I had not heard of anyone wrecking in the wind (so glad I am didn't see this post then!) But before I knew it I was back toward the coast and no wind.

I am so glad it was not worse for you.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Glad your ok.... it gets gusty out there. In 1977 my girl and I were on vacation out there, and I was riding my fully dressed BMW.. I don't remember the highway we were on, but we were traveiling south. Out of no where came a gust of wind that moved me over one full lane, over to the off ramp, narrowly missing the huge 4x4 posted road sign....Pretty wild feeling...Angels were with me that day....
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
skully93

Post by skully93 »

peabody99 wrote: one area (mountains) had 18-20 mph winds...no biggie. Well I get out there and it was a LOT worse. I had to seek refuge, check the weather and come to find out 55 MPH winds had kicked up. Given the new wind advisory was in effect for the next 24 hours and I was truly in the middle of nowhere, I decided to try and head back, but got trapped out in open country with no place to get away from the wind. At this point riding was easier than holding the scooter up sitting on it on the road side. I have really never been more terrifed...like near tears in helmet. I was almost blown over and or into on coming traffic or off the road more times than I can count.
That's apparently what happened that day too. I wasn't tearing up, but I was definitely in "man, I really gotta concentrate" mode. It was evil.

Still, I'm not deterred in any way now, just might not take that particular road if there's any major temp change coming. Not that I can since both of my bigger bikes are down at the moment. Jan/Feb are not the best months for longer trips anyway :P.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have rode in some nasty crosswinds, and even done an unexpected lane change or two, but never anything that bad.

Glad you came out with just a few scrapes, hope the bike and you are back in shape too.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

skully93 wrote:I don't feel too bad as a large Dodge pickup also blew off.
Weeoooooooow! :shock: Glad you are okay, and the bike is in one piece.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

LunaP wrote:
Thx! I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to find out about the bike, but I think it's just plastics!

A LOT of crashes this year, let's say 2014 will have none of it, eh?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

skully93 wrote:
LunaP wrote:
Thx! I'll probably wait a couple of weeks to find out about the bike, but I think it's just plastics!

A LOT of crashes this year, let's say 2014 will have none of it, eh?
Gosh I hope so, we have been a bit of a sad lot this year, haven't we? Maybe we need to put a counter in the crash thread like they have in workplaces... 28 *crosses out* 0 days crash-free! :roll: :P

I'll make sure to toast to a crash-free 2014 tonight!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Just seeing this now, and wanted to say that I'm glad to see all is well after this experience. Rest up! It'll be spring before we know it.

A couple of us have a winter ride in a few weeks. I'm not looking forward to the cold, but to the camaraderie and hi jinks. Hopefully there'll be no snow.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The snow ruined our NYD ride. Then it warmed up, melted, and now there are sheets of ice anyplace there is shadow. Fun times!

I got my new helmet (exact replacement) last night. I meet with the adjuster at the shop at 11am. I doubt it will be any kind of real assessment, but just a pre-meeting. I'll take some pictures of the damage.
Syd

Post by Syd »

skully93 wrote:The snow ruined our NYD ride. Then it warmed up, melted, and now there are sheets of ice anyplace there is shadow. Fun times!
I had friends in Aurora years ago who lived on a hill that faced west. A week after a big snowstorm, when the rest of the area was melted and dry, they would still have a foot of snow/ice in their road.

Ride safe!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

that's pretty scary dude! sucks hitting the pavement at a decent clip, but at least your on the winning end of things physically. Heal up and get back in the saddle when it's ready.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:that's pretty scary dude! sucks hitting the pavement at a decent clip, but at least your on the winning end of things physically. Heal up and get back in the saddle when it's ready.
Well I still have the Buddy and the Helix, so I never stopped being in the saddle (at least until it got icy...).

The crappy thing is I think they're going to consider it totaled, so now I have to hope they give me a reasonable offer so that I can find something to replace it eventually.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:that's pretty scary dude! sucks hitting the pavement at a decent clip, but at least your on the winning end of things physically. Heal up and get back in the saddle when it's ready.
Well I still have the Buddy and the Helix, so I never stopped being in the saddle (at least until it got icy...).

The crappy thing is I think they're going to consider it totaled, so now I have to hope they give me a reasonable offer so that I can find something to replace it eventually.

So, if they total it, it might be dirt cheap to buy it with a salvage title, right?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

eh, the problem with that is that is actually terribly expensive to get parts/pieces for.

If they are offering kbb + accessories I will actually come out ahead. I'll probably just pay off this year's impending vacation and sit on the cash until I know what else is going on. I don't really NEED the 500, and as good as it is at certain things, there are others it isn't good at.

deciding factors:

1) how long I would stay in my current position, traveling to boulder 2x a week.
2) can I get a smaller, twin piston MC for the same? (hint, yes...)
3) how often we get to do longer trips. right now, that's not really often, so....

All is speculation until they make an offer.