Misanthropic New Year's Resolutions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

Misanthropic New Year's Resolutions

Post by charlie55 »

Just for grins, I'm gonna turn the New Year's Eve tradition on its head and start a list of resolutions I wish others would keep. Feel free to add your own:

- Resolve to make three rights instead of tying up traffic for half an hour while trying to make a left at a busy intersection with no turning lanes.

- Resolve to pick your damned lottery numbers in advance instead of waiting for divine inspiration at the last minute.

- Resolve to learn how to use a touch-screen without moving your lips and drooling.

- Resolve to limit each ATM session to no more than three transactions.

- Resolve to not haggle for 20 minutes over a 10-cent coupon.

- Resolve to have at least a faint idea as to what you want before entering a bakery or donut shop.

- Resolve to understand that there's no law requiring you to park right next to the only car in a parking lot, or to sit immediately in front of the only person in a movie theater.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Oh Yeah this one will be a Great bit of necessary release! 8) R
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

- Resolve to learn how to park your gigantic pickup/minivan/suv in such a way that others can then park on either side of you.
J33pman

Post by J33pman »

Ok, I'm FROM Texas, and I have owned several trucks. I still can't figure out why so many people feel the need to "back it in" every damn time they park, no matter how full/busy the lot/garage is. It takes them forever!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

- Resolve to not toss cigarettes or spit out the car window, there may be a scooter next to you.

- Resolve to leave your phone alone while you drive.

- Resolve to pull up at a stoplight without leaving so much room in front of you that a bus could fit there.

- Resolve to think of others much more often and treat them with courtesy, and recognize when someone has done you a favor.

Hmm... I am not sure I feel better yet. Good thread though.

Happy New Years everyone!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Resolve to check your mirrors and use your signals before changing lanes.

Resolve not to find oneself in a situation where "I didn't see them" is your default excuse.

Resolve to extend a little common courtesy to your fellow man; it goes a long way.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I resolve to accept that young skate boarders; dressed in black, in the dark of night, going against traffic, have a death wish. R
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

J33pman wrote:Ok, I'm FROM Texas, and I have owned several trucks. I still can't figure out why so many people feel the need to "back it in" every damn time they park, no matter how full/busy the lot/garage is. It takes them forever!
1: Backing in is safer for everyone than those drivers trying to back out when they can't see what they're backing into.
2: Anyone needing "forever" to make that move is incompetent, and should either practice more before trying again, or stop trying.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

- Resolve to not put other drivers at risk as you rush to get where you are going, only to all end up stopped together at a red light.

- Resolve to develop an awareness that there are other drivers on the road besides you, and drive accordingly.

Thanks for the thread.

Happy New Years everyone!
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't need resolutions to be misanthropic. :x
still shifting wrote:I resolve to accept that young skate boarders; dressed in black, in the dark of night, going against traffic, have a death wish. R
Going against traffic is actually a little safer, because at least they can see you coming.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Misanthropic New Year's Resolutions

Post by ericalm »

- Resolve to be more patient. Stop turning in front of a scooter or car, cutting come one off, creating a dangerous situation all to shave a few seconds off your drive time. Don't be rude just so you can get to the front of a line. Let others take more time if they need it. Chill the heck out. Learn to wait.
charlie55 wrote:- Resolve to not haggle for 20 minutes over a 10-cent coupon.
Or waste a tank of gas driving around so you can save much less than the cost of a tank of gas on a "deal."
charlie55 wrote:- Resolve to understand that there's no law requiring you to park right next to the only car in a parking lot, or to sit immediately in front of the only person in a movie theater.
Men: same goes for urinals in public restrooms. Good grief!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Resolve that people are not often terribly aware... :shock: R
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Resolve that your spouse understands your scooter mania and still puts up with you after 33 years of marriage... :D
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
TVB

Re: Misanthropic New Year's Resolutions

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:
charlie55 wrote:- Resolve to understand that there's no law requiring you to park right next to the only car in a parking lot, or to sit immediately in front of the only person in a movie theater.
Men: same goes for urinals in public restrooms. Good grief!
Yeah, I hate it when I'm using a urinal, and someone gets in front of me.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Don't get in the small order cashier line (pick your limit ... 10,15,20 items) with at least twice those number of items.

And while I'm on the retail end of things, if paying by check, don't wait to start filling out the check until the cashier is done ringing you up. You can fill out 75% of the check w/o knowing the total amount.

Hmmm, guess I'm a bit on the impatient side .... perhaps I have a NY resolution of my own to worry about. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Syd

Post by Syd »

- Resolve to actually turn right on red when in the right turn only lane (where marked, of course).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Ooohh.. this one I can get behind.

I would like the general public (and some of those I must interact with) to resolve to:

- Turn their devices off. Don't check in DURING THE SHOW! Your friends may suck for not getting their tickets, but you know what's worse? The friend who REMINDS them of this, and does so right during the opening number in my venue!

- See Motorcycles. Not snarky, but needed.

- Not to extensively go on the NEED to become a vegan instantly when I sit down in the break room with my juicy burger. Extra points if you resolve from making faces of revolution and gagging noises when a bit of bacon is hanging out of my mouth after a particularly lovely bite. I have sharp teeth for a reason, and if I hear one more "carnist" comment I may use them in defense.

- To not sit on my scooter that you see on campus for a cute "selfie" to put on snapchat! Not your bike? Bugger off!

- To not complain about studio rates, and then come back two months later to pay double to have me fix the hideous session recorded by some guy off Craigslist in his "home studio".

That's all for now. The rest are resolutions for me, and they're actually good ones (which include socializing and riding more now that I actually have some free time!)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

DanielPerrin wrote:
J33pman wrote:Ok, I'm FROM Texas, and I have owned several trucks. I still can't figure out why so many people feel the need to "back it in" every damn time they park, no matter how full/busy the lot/garage is. It takes them forever!
1: Backing in is safer for everyone than those drivers trying to back out when they can't see what they're backing into.
2: Anyone needing "forever" to make that move is incompetent, and should either practice more before trying again, or stop trying.
+1

3: Anyone needing "forever" to make that move, should maybe buy a small car if something that big is beyond their capabilities. :idea:

------------------------------------

I wish others would resolve to actually go the posted speed limit, not 5-10 mph below the SCHOOL zone speed limit, when school is out (ie for summer, the evening, or on a weekend) AND no kids are present. These same people are the ones that tailgate everyone and drive like speed demons otherwise. (hmmm...maybe they should resolve to learn to read....)

I wish some "ladies" would resolve not to talk on their phone while sitting in the stalls in the ladies bathroom. :bleh: Actually, anywhere you can hear a toilet flush is pretty tacky.

It would be nice if people with big trucks could resolve to sell them and buy tiny cars if they cannot fit all the way in to parking spots...and end up hanging out into the driving area 4 or 5 feet.

It also would be nice if people would realize that when you pull into a parking space, you don't have to have your bumper over the line and into the space in front of you....the world would not come crashing to an end if you actually stayed in your own spot. :?

Off my soap box! :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Yeah, when did this nonsense take hold? I've watched people take five time as long to park as it would if they would just pull in and then back out like you should.

- Resolve to learn how to use a touch-screen without moving your lips and drooling.
that's funny....

I've got nothing, because I've got too many. Just tonight, I went to the post office to drop off some mail and then go to the store to get some bananas, and just in the small amount of time I was out, I saw at least a half dozen dangerous violations by people driving without any awareness of what they were doing. I ride my MC's and scooter aggressively for a reason, to try and stay ahead of the morons in cars that are oblivious of their surroundings and will kill you if you don't pay attention, because they certainly aren't going to.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.