A Year of Crashes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

A Year of Crashes

Post by ericalm »

2013 will be remembered as the year more scooter friends suffered crashes than any previous year. Most are riders I've known and ridden with for more than a couple years. Not people I know online via Facebook, forums or other networks but those who I know offline, many of whom ride with regularly. The number is frightening and humbling.

I can't really explain the phenomenon other than simply coincidence.

The victims included many experienced riders with well over 30,000 miles of experience as well as some who have been riding two wheelers for decades. Several wound up in the hospital. Some had injuries requiring months of recovery and a lot of personal expense.

2013 was also the year in which I witnessed or was present for more crashes than any other. Some of this has to do with the continued growth of our LA riding group, new riders, more miles, statistical probability. Some are as inexplicable as the bad year my friends had.

It's always been my thought that (as far as MB is concerned) trying to scare people into changing their behaviors is pretty ineffective compared to letting them come to that conclusion themselves. But it's been a terrible crash year and I spent a lot of time reflecting on it.

There are some common threads among these crashes. And a lot of the lessons to be gleaned from them are things repeated over and over on the forums but which are often ignored or forgotten. But they bear repeating, one more time, because I don't want any of us to have a 2014 like the 2013 many of my friends had.
  1. It doesn't matter how good a rider you are or how long you've been riding, no one is immune from crashes. You can reduce the risk of crashing but you can never eliminate that risk. No one is too good to crash. motorcycle police are among the most highly trained, experienced and skilled riders on the streets yet they still crash or get hit in everyday riding conditions.
  2. Yet many of the crashes could have been avoided.
  3. Gear up. Many of the serious injuries friends suffered would have been prevented or far less serious if they'd been wearing proper abrasion resistant, armored gear. We're talking torn ligaments, broken bones, contusions and 3rd degree road rash.
    Among the "minor" crashes I witnessed this year, the difference between injury and walking away unscathed was gear, period. This year was the year I had to restock my scooter first aid kit.
  4. Low speed crashes can still result in serious injury — or worse.
  5. Helmets save lives. MB policy is not to discuss helmet laws, which is kindling for an instant flame war. That's a separate topic from this. Wearing one can save your life. Period. I'd have attended several funerals this year if the riders had not been wearing helmets. More helmet = more protection.
  6. New riders should take the MSF class. Another no-brainer. The class has a few vocal detractors, most of whom haven't actually taken it. And I know the quality of the instructors isn't the same in all cases. Still, there is no better way to quickly gain a solid foundation of riding skills than taking this class. Think it's expensive? Crashing is much more expensive. Yes, you can learn to ride on your own, but in general it takes longer and doesn't prepare you for many of the less common situations you may encounter.
  7. Most common reason newer riders go down: They get into situations or riding conditions they're not able to handle. Time and time again, this is the root cause, whether it's a crappy driver coming into your lane, an unexpected patch of gravel, taking a turn too wide and being unable to correct in time.
  8. Most common reason experienced riders go down: Overconfidence. Taking a turn too fast is the top cause. Others simply bite off far more than they can chew.
  9. The other reason: Other vehicles. This is the one you can't control, at all, but you can sure a hell prepare for.
  10. No one regrets their choices and behaviors until it's too late.
Ride safe, ride smart. Here's to a 2014 of scootering fun and excitement!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

A very pertinent reminder... R
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I can attest to half of #7 and part of #8 last year. Well typed Ericalm....
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Lots of good info. One important thing for newer riders and even some that are experienced is to always ride your own ride. If the group you are with is to fast for you, trying to keep up is usually a short cut to disaster.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Gear saved me from serious injury, on a my large/heavy Scarabeo 500, at 45mph.

My helmet has a minor scuff (I assume insurance will want me to replace it), my boot where all the weight came down on my ankle has no damage other than a cosmetic flaw, and the shoulder of my $600 jacket with D30 armor has nothing more than minor fade. Bruising to these areas was minor and I was nothing but sore from a crash that could have killed me

Combined price for these items was @ $1100. Yet I ride every single day that I can, and I figure I want good protection.

I wasn't wearing overpants or protective pants of any kind, and I was super lucky that very little impact happened there. A decent pair of jeans is no longer suitable for work, but is still OK for outerwear. I'll be more diligent about wearing the protective pants, even if they aren't 'cool' :P.

We had a lot of local crashes here too. One friend went down 2x, another once, and several other minor things along with a broken femur on another!

Let's just say I hope we are caught up and there are no more crashes this year. I'm also personally pledging to take an intermediate course, even if it's on the Buddy. It's been nearly 2 years and 25k miles since my original, I could use a skills update.
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

On the Lexington,KY ride in October 2013 the same rider went down 2 times at low speeds. He was ok and rode the rest of the ride. Other riders went down that day also. It was raining and slick but I still loved the ride.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good post.

I'm a firm believer (through the Smith Defensive Driving System and work related safety policies) that almost all accidents can be avoided through strong defensive driving techniques.

There are several good resources for gaining and maintaining those skills (MSF, Proficient Motorcycling, Smith Defensive Driving, etc.). Take advantage of these trainings and continue to focus on and practice them. I know that's sometimes easier said then done. If nothing else, I'm very aware and alert of hazards at intersections. I've also come to expect that many on roads are distracted with their phones, texts, whatever. I'm still learning to anticipate distracted drivers and potential "outs" (from the "leave yourself an out" philosophy learned in Smith.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

#11 - getting chased by big dogs on a dirt road in rural mexico

yep. I had over 30K when I went down for the first time of my own fault. losing so much weight had my gear not fitting properly and I was injured more than I should have been.

I wasn't the only one to go down on the trip, on those roads but the only one hurt. So I want to add - "gear that fits properly"

ride safe y'all!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

A good reminder for the first of the year.

And, my best wishes to your friends who have had the misfortune of being involved in any of those accidents in 2013. Hopefully they have all recovered or are on their way to a speedy recovery.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Really great post and so true.
Accidents 1 and 2 happened to me within 6 weeks. First one, driver signaling to go right, after also passing me on the right, turned left from the right hand lane after I was already in my turn. I avoided him but my back tire hit lose gravel and down I went. Road rash on right elbow. Second one... I was going ZERO MPH, at a stop. Put my foot down, felt awkward, shifted it a bit and shifted it right into something slick. Zero MPH and I trashed my helmet, and broke my arm in three places. I'm still in the cast. And I took the Motorcycle riding safety course, and I gear up. Goes to show ya... Be very careful.
96 Decibel Freaks
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I always worry about the zero MPH one in our driveway...in the winter it gets a little slick, and I always worry that I'll be sitting on my Scarabeo 500 ie, walking it backwards out of the garage, then slip and fall. :roll:

I'm seriously thinking of giving up riding now that they have legalized marijuana in Washington state. In the summer time it will be legal here...as if we don't already have enough distracted drivers out there on the road.... :(
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
TVB

Post by TVB »

michelle_7728 wrote:I'm seriously thinking of giving up riding now that they have legalized marijuana in Washington state. In the summer time it will be legal here...as if we don't already have enough distracted drivers out there on the road.... :(
I doubt you'll see a noticeable increase. Marijuana was decriminalized here a year ago, and if that had any impact on road safety, the opponents of the change (who understandably feared a flood of stoned driving) would be making all sorts of noise about it. They aren't.

Unlike alcohol, which people go out to use, and it makes them reckless, marijuana is more of a use-at-home-then-sit-on-the-couch drug. Also, one thing that came up during the voter initiative is that studies show marijuana users tend to overestimate how impaired they are (the opposite of alcohol users), with the result that they drive more cautiously instead of less. That is, they're still impaired, but they take measures to compensate (e.g. drive more slowly, larger following distance, shut out distractions like music and conversation), which reduces the danger they pose.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

agreed. I think it will be a month of people who have never tried it paying outrageous prices, maybe driving a little.

Though, usually if folks are too lit up to drive, the impetus to move is also gone :P.

Besides, I'm far more worried about the giant vehicles piloted by itsy bitsy soccer moms on the phone!!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Being a bit tongue-in-cheek here, but are "the munchies" a strong enough motivator to get them to drive regardless of impairment? I mean, one can only afford so much delivery food when the tax rates on the "legal" weed are so high. :P
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
fullthrottle

Post by fullthrottle »

I crashed my motorcycle in 2013, too!

I was riding with a group who's leader was being reckless and riding way to fast on twisty roads. I was on a Hyosung GV650 Avitar, which is a "sport cruiser". Very maneuverable, but not like his crotch rocket.

When we came to an S-curve, I was going in just a little too fast. I saw that I could simply go off the road a bit, on to what I thought was a flat field. Turned out there was a ditch. I went in and out, in the air, and landed on my left leg. Smashed the windscreen and front fender, and dented the tank.

Broke my left fibula bone and rode home that way, as the bike was still functional. Insurance paid to fix the bike as good as new. I didn't get an x-ray or a cast. I just hobbled around for a month, but bone was definitely broke, not bruised.

If it was the tibia, (or my neck) I'm sure I would have been screwed.

And, I wasn't the only one in the group who went off the edge of the road on that curve, and this was after a few of us had already complained to him to slow it down. Earlier, he was even going 10 mph above the posted speed limit in a state park with pedestrians, bicycles and kids!

When I got up, I noticed across the road where people had placed memorial flowers and ribbon for someone who obviously died at that spot, in a car or something.

Since then, I don't ride with groups. I have more fun and ride my way.
I love to go fast, but only when it's a clear straight road ahead. I always slow down for blind curves, even in a car.

Moral of the story is know your limits and the limits of your machine, and let the idiots on the road pass you by.
"I have a fear of speed bumps. But, I'm slowly getting over it."
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Nice post Eric

I had a year like that in 1993, it got to the point that I would only ride with a handful of known friends and no one else. Scooters have actually started to get me back out with other "unknown" riders.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
fullthrottle

Post by fullthrottle »

I did ride with a scooter club a few times at sensible speeds. We just rode around Philly. Since then, I moved to the burbs.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

When I went down on a warm June morning, it was my armored hoodie, jeans and boots that allowed me to walk away with only bruised ribs. I banged my elbow hard, and my boot was sole was partially ripped from the boot. Had I skipped the hoodie and worn sneakers as I was tempted to, I would have been in the hospital with at least a broken elbow, if not a mangled foot. ATGATT for me!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I love riding with groups, but it is inherently riskier than riding solo. Our group has done 125 rides now. We've put a lot of work into improving group safety. There's no way to eliminate the risks, of course, and we still have occasional incidents. But I think we've accomplished a lot through better planning and refining our policies.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
fullthrottle

Post by fullthrottle »

I remember hearing on the news in 2013 about a pile up of motorcycles due to some idiot driver in a car.

Some of the bikers dragged him from his car and beat him in front of his family.

They were charged, I think.

It was an accident I'm sure, but I think some drivers have it in for bikers. They'll purposefully wait till the last second. You know they see you coming. And they'll dart out right in front of you.

I've yelled obscenities at a few. Using the horn gives small satisfaction.

I actually feel sympathy for those bikers that made the news. Is that so wrong?
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: A Year of Crashes

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Brother, those are some good pointers. Lots of good advice that could save your ass if you pay attention and take every ride seriously. We don't live in a carefree world like you see in the scooter postcards or catalogues, or the moped rentals casually cruising on the beach in flip flops and board shorts. Pavement HURTS, crashing sucks, period.

ericalm wrote:The other reason: Other vehicles. This is the one you can't control, at all, but you can sure a hell prepare for.

You can't control, but you can make yourself seen. In my line of work, I've run countless pedestrians and cyclists (and sometimes scooters) hit by cars that turned out in their path and I overhear the driver telling the cops "I didn't even see them". While I always pin blame on any driver that strikes someone else, it is up to us to always make our presence known. Wear HIGH VISIBILITY gear. Even if it's just a bright yellow vest. It doesn't have to be the "dorky" vests that construction crews are required to wear, but when shopping for a new riding jacket, strongly consider the ones with high viz. If not, throw on a vest over it, like ICONs riding vests. My yellow ICON vest saves my ass every day most of the year. For the summer, I have a mesh jacket that is bright as sin yellow, like a giant bumble bee, I love it. I can't count how many cars started to inch out and then hesitated because my yellow beacon of hope came into view. And if you plan on riding at night, have reflective gear. decorate your scooter with 3M reflective strips, especially on the topcase and you'll light up from hundreds of feet away, giving the drunk driver approaching you from behind plenty of notice.
ericalm wrote:Gear up. Many of the serious injuries friends suffered would have been prevented or far less serious if they'd been wearing proper abrasion resistant, armored gear.
I fractured my "big" toe, because the boots I had been wearing for years, came off in my wreck. They were steel toe, but not laced up high tops. Make sure you have boots that will stay with your body if you hit the pavement.
ericalm wrote:motorcycle police are among the most highly trained, experienced and skilled riders on the streets yet they still crash or get hit in everyday riding conditions.
Ponch and John make crashing look so painless and easy!