Oh Sweet Jeasus What a Winter...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

still shifting

Oh Sweet Jeasus What a Winter...

Post by still shifting »

I know I will survive it, but so far not easy not at all... and it hasn't been all that cold here really. How has your winter been? R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

FINALLY drooped below mid 80's during the day but raining...back up in the next few days. I know people are cold but we are still sweating it out in summer gear and the heat is getting old too.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Weird winter here too.

Daytime highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s.
Overnight lows in the low 30s.

Very mild, but the 30-40 degree swings every day is a bit annoying.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

It's too bad that "Winter" is not a registered trademark, which would allow those of us who experience actual Winter® to prevent others from using it appropriately like you people. :P

As for winter here, it's been nice ....
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I was born in Chicago and grew up in southern New Hampshire. I've shoveled my fair share. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

az_slynch wrote:Weird winter here too.

Daytime highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s.
Overnight lows in the low 30s.

Very mild, but the 30-40 degree swings every day is a bit annoying.
Agreed, getting upper 60's and 70's here too and lower 40's at night in Santa Cruz. The wild swing in temperature is tough to deal with as I work at 5am so I dress for the cold, then have to remove layers when I'm done for the day.

Also: I was born/raised in Canada so been there and done that with the insane weather. Respect to anyone experiencing real winters.
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:It's too bad that "Winter" is not a registered trademark, which would allow those of us who experience actual Winter® to prevent others from using it appropriately like you people. :P

TVB, that picture is awesome, in a new Ice Age sort of way.

I found his Twitter feed and I tell you what he's going to freeze something if he keeps taking pictures like that!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
soakland

Post by soakland »

TVB wrote:It's too bad that "Winter" is not a registered trademark, which would allow those of us who experience actual Winter® to prevent others from using it appropriately like you people. :P

Couldn't agree more. Winter has different meanings depending on your part of the country
Last edited by soakland on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

On Monday and Tuesday in Chicago there was over a foot of snow and it was a record -16°, something like -30 with windchill. Couldn't get any worse than that, right?

Today started out with something called "Freezing fog" and around noon it hit 40° and started pouring down rain and hasn't stopped since. Now it's starting to freeze again, with (as you'll remember) a foot of snow trapped under hours of heavy rain.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
soakland

Post by soakland »

illnoise wrote:On Monday and Tuesday in Chicago there was over a foot of snow and it was a record -16°, something like -30 with windchill. Couldn't get any worse than that, right?

Today started out with something called "Freezing fog" and around noon it hit 40° and started pouring down rain and hasn't stopped since. Now it's starting to freeze again, with (as you'll remember) a foot of snow trapped under hours of heavy rain.
I grew up in North Dakota just south of the border and have spent my last 14 years here in Minnesota so trust me when I tell you that it can and frequently does get worse than that.
TVB

Post by TVB »

illnoise wrote:On Monday and Tuesday in Chicago there was over a foot of snow and it was a record -16°, something like -30 with windchill. Couldn't get any worse than that, right?

Yeah, I was dreading the thaw-with-rain, because I knew the ice dams that (despite my best efforts) had developed on my roof, would collect untold gallons of both melting snow and fresh rain ... then drip it into my house. It's a slow-motion race against time seeing if the dams will break up before things freeze over and start snowing again. And if not, that means it'll be all the worse in the Spring.

Meanwhile, my driveway is currently covered by a couple inches of ice, which is covered by pools of water. It's low enough friction to do space-walk simulation training for astronauts. At least the ice covering the storm sewer has melted, so there's no longer a pond of icewater at the end of the driveway.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

soakland wrote:

I grew up in North Dakota just south of the border and have spent my last 14 years here in Minnesota so trust me when I tell you that it can and frequently does get worse than that.

Maybe not FREQUENTLY, but yes, that's happened.

Forecast high for tomorrow is 40F. ABOVE!!! I keep thinking to myself "If only the streets were clear..."
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I am 'grounded' and my cabin fever is killing me!!! Every time we get a warm up (right after it snows) we get rain and the entire back yard turns into a frikkin mud pit!!! can't get the scooter out of the backyard until the ground dries out :(

took up winter archery league at the local sportsmens club to keep my sanity for the next few months :twisted:
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

kmrcstintn wrote:I am 'grounded' and my cabin fever is killing me!!! Every time we get a warm up (right after it snows) we get rain and the entire back yard turns into a frikkin mud pit!!! can't get the scooter out of the backyard until the ground dries out :(
The lot where we park ours is gravel that gets coated in ice.

our solution has been sheets of plywood. they wear out ever couple years but it's a decent solution.
soakland

Post by soakland »

Looks like we both have the right to complain
http://www.bustle.com/articles/12208-th ... t-the-cold
Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Here in NGA it hit 3 early in the week. Yesterday it was 65, thawed out a broken line between the meter and our 'guest' house. Plumber will fix this coming week, says he has been working overtime all week fixing broken
water pipes. Next freeze wave hits here on Wednesday.
Where is globular worming when you need it?? :cry:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wolfhound wrote:Where is globular worming when you need it?? :cry:
Siberia. It's been having above-normal temps.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

That figures!!! :lol: :lol:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

To quote George RR Martin. (come on now lets all chime in now) Winter is Coming... :shock: R
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

It's been unusually cold the last few weeks, unusually dry (or so says my poor itchy skin), and of course no snow.

There's been one or two days this week it hit the 50's and even 60 during the day again, thank goodness... I disagree with 9-20 degrees out.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

LunaP wrote:It's been unusually cold the last few weeks, unusually dry (or so says my poor itchy skin), and of course no snow.

There's been one or two days this week it hit the 50's and even 60 during the day again, thank goodness... I disagree with 9-20 degrees out.
I lied.

It is currently snowing here. I'm going to go play in it and take pictures.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

i was able to go for a battery-charging spin on monday here in buffalo. it wasn't *that* bad, but did have to be careful for ice chunks. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

This week has been amazing - Clear, upper 70's during the day, mid 40's at night.
I feel a little guilty. Almost.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Must get my oil changed and put on some miles. that will bring rain or snow for certain. R
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

I usually don't have to park my horse for more than a few days in winter here in Boston....but this winter has been purty nasty. Horse has been parked for about 30 days total so far. Tomorrow might bring more sub-freeze and snow.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

It hits us on Wednesday. Sustained 45 mph winds, snow north of us, wind chills in the single figures possible. This is the third wave to hit us this month.
The hi today was 68. Saw at least 20 motorcycles on the road today. The new Ice Age is on it's way. :headache: :headache:
fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

soakland wrote:

Would you order regular coffee and be upset that it is served hot? No?

Then living in those cities should not give an exclusive license to complaint about the cold. When you move or live in those 20 cities, you should know exactly what you are getting yourself into when Autumn departs.

Most would complain or go back to the counter if they received their coffee just luke-warm or lower on the temperature scale, or so hot that their cup is ablaze... that means that one of two things should generate complaints:

1) A temperature that is record setting

2) A temperature that has gone well past the average for the season.

This means that San Diego may complain about the cold just as much as Minneapolis. Sure... I may complain when it hits 30F outside, just as someone in Minneapolis may complain when it hits -20F... but that doesn't give one city more right than another.

That is not to say that Minneapolis doesn't deal with a more devastating cold than San Diego does, We know the danger from the cold is high for anyone caught in the elements, and much more so in Minneapolis weather.... but I have every right to complain if my Ice Cream is melted, just as someone has the right to complain if their coffee is served cold. Either one is a departure from an expected average, and thus a reason to complain.

BTW... It was 80-85F most of this week... I rode wearing my mesh jacket. :P
soakland

Post by soakland »

fatcharlie wrote:
soakland wrote:

Would you order regular coffee and be upset that it is served hot? No?

Then living in those cities should not give an exclusive license to complaint about the cold. When you move or live in those 20 cities, you should know exactly what you are getting yourself into when Autumn departs.

Most would complain or go back to the counter if they received their coffee just luke-warm or lower on the temperature scale, or so hot that their cup is ablaze... that means that one of two things should generate complaints:

1) A temperature that is record setting

2) A temperature that has gone well past the average for the season.

This means that San Diego may complain about the cold just as much as Minneapolis. Sure... I may complain when it hits 30F outside, just as someone in Minneapolis may complain when it hits -20F... but that doesn't give one city more right than another.

That is not to say that Minneapolis doesn't deal with a more devastating cold than San Diego does, We know the danger from the cold is high for anyone caught in the elements, and much more so in Minneapolis weather.... but I have every right to complain if my Ice Cream is melted, just as someone has the right to complain if their coffee is served cold. Either one is a departure from an expected average, and thus a reason to complain.

BTW... It was 80-85F most of this week... I rode wearing my mesh jacket. :P
Some of us go where work and other circumstances take us. And besides, complaining about the weather is a time honored tradition here in the Midwest.
Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.
TVB

Post by TVB »

fatcharlie wrote:This means that San Diego may complain about the cold just as much as Minneapolis. Sure... I may complain when it hits 30F outside, just as someone in Minneapolis may complain when it hits -20F... but that doesn't give one city more right than another.
OK, you may complain when it gets down to 30ºF, just like people living in the First World may complain about things like the temperature of their coffee or ice cream. But don't expect sympathy from people with worse problems. :P
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Our turn :(
Attachments
2014_01_21_12_21_23.jpg
2014_01_21_12_21_23.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Seriously?? The OP coming from New Mexico? Ya'll are soft, like pudding. Most of us have no merit to complain about winter except those in the upper Great Lakes, far northern New England, and Canada. It's winter, it's supposed to get a little cold. And unless there's accumulating snow or freezing rain, it's very rideable in sub freezing temperatures. There's plenty of foreclosed homes available in sunny south Florida. Winter is a different beast, and can be very enjoyable if you are prepared for it.

Here's COLD for you, but the locals I spoke to when I was up there never complained, they adapted.
Attachments
quebec1.jpg
quebec1.jpg (105.92 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Well, my Canadian 1st cousin is toughing out in India with his wife and is
in no hurry to return home yet-----and he has lived up there all his life. And
in FL 40 degree weather will feel like 0 if you are a native. Ima goin tu muh
gaaragie an wurk on muh scooter thangs til the NGA cold spel jest hits th road!! :wink: :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

It's all relative.

A couple of weeks back, I flew out of Chicago Midway with temps of -19. I arrived in Houston at 31 deg, and you would have thought this was the greatest natural disaster to ever hit mankind. They really didn't understand when I tried to explain that it was 50 deg warmer that what I had just left and it felt pretty damn good to me.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

We think we have a problem. He KNOWS he has a poblem when sand turns to snow in Jerusalem
Attachments
Saleh-Mousa-2013.12.13.-e1387068288345.jpeg
Saleh-Mousa-2013.12.13.-e1387068288345.jpeg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

And then every one around me gets a cold. I become a recluse in self defense... R