learning something new even 5 years in - rear rack weight

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

learning something new even 5 years in - rear rack weight

Post by jijifer »

so you know there is limit on the weight the rear rack can handle, right? Something like 15lbs? Well, I've had a Givi topcase on my rack for 5 years thinking there was no problems. I guess I assumed the weight limit was about the rack.

Well, I was shocked to get a call from my shop saying my "frame was cracked" in 5 places and needed to be fixed.

In the end it was frame piece that the rack attaches to. My rack is rusted and looks terrible, I was sure it was gonna break at some point but apparently what broke first was the frame support. IN 5 PLACES.

Moral of story: don't overload your rack unless you want to risk frame damage.... GAK!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I would think living so close to the sea that the salty air would help speed your rack problems as well...
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

my rack is all kinds of rusty and didn't crack or break. It was the brace to the frame that broke. broke in 5 places!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yikes! Did they take any pics?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

As someone who has had the bit of the "frame" that the rack connects to break, more than once, I find this story very difficult to believe, and you should definitely ask your shop for photos of the "damage".

First of all, the reason I put that "frame" in quotes, is because the bit that the rack attaches, to, the part with the center bolt, is itself just a separate piece that is bolted to the actual frame. Where mine broke, more than once (because, it turns out, a missing rubber shock-absorbing washer as part of the center bolt attachment), was right around the base of the bolt itself, the center of the U-shaped piece, which is also fairly easily replaceable (as easy as getting the plastics off, which is far from easy).

So I cannot believe that it "broke in 5 places", as there isn't 5 places for it to possibly break.
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

My rack popped off last week, Ive had it since 2009... Living near the Beach could have played a part.
but i haven't had a chance to take off any of the panels to inspect it

Vespa motorsport estimated under $200 to fix. But I did not have my Blackjack with me at the time I stopped by.
Attachments
I Unscrewed the Other Side
I Unscrewed the Other Side
rsz_1rsz_img_3571.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
The Bolt came completely out on one side.
The Bolt came completely out on one side.
rsz_1rsz_1rsz_img_3570.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I can see a visible crack on the crossbar, the thin flat bar that connects the 2 round bars, right at where the center screw goes in. It's been on my list of things to replace.