Terrifying Road Trip Highways

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Terrifying Road Trip Highways

Post by Rob »

From MSN. 10 very, um, challenging road trips. And they are talking by cage. I would love to try these by bike.

These will have to make my riding bucket list, although the chances of me doing many of these, (other than the Dragon which I've done several times) are very low.

Road Trips

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd LOVE most of those. My wife...not so much.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Stelvio Pass, Italy is an awesome looking road. Just the right amount of 'sensational fear' and hairpin turns. Got giddy just looking at it.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
mverps

Post by mverps »

Looks like a lot of fun riding to me.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

most of these look like I would love to do them, especially that one in Norway! Good news is I am planning a journey that will take me from Monterey to San Diego this May, so rt 1 will finally be crossed off my bucket list. I. Can't. Wait. :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

peabody99 wrote:most of these look like I would love to do them, especially that one in Norway! Good news is I am planning a journey that will take me from Monterey to San Diego this May, so rt 1 will finally be crossed off my bucket list. I. Can't. Wait. :D
Sounds like fun. Driving or riding?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Syd wrote:
peabody99 wrote:most of these look like I would love to do them, especially that one in Norway! Good news is I am planning a journey that will take me from Monterey to San Diego this May, so rt 1 will finally be crossed off my bucket list. I. Can't. Wait. :D
Sounds like fun. Driving or riding?
Riding of course , silly :P
Part one of the adventure will be group riding
http://www.meetup.com/AdventuristsScoot ... 159393502/
To Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon (btw this is mb members Skootz kabootz group) Then I will go alone to Yosemite, then cross the state to Monterey and down the coast. I was supposed to do the rt 1 ride last fall, but life circumstances changed that. So now, barring anything outrageously unforeseen, this is a go.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

CA-1 is the only one I've ridden. Hm, Colorado 82… :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Been on 82 a couple of times in cage maybe this si the year I do it on the bike.

Its been a dream of mine to travel Hwy 1 on bike for some time. Soon I think.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Been on it a time or two in the car/truck. Lots of fun to drive, bet it's more fun to ride.

But isn't CO82 the most dangerous road in the state with all the working folk commuting from Glenwood Spgs and Rifle? Or is that just in the winter, when I wouldn't ride it?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
mverps

Post by mverps »

Not in this list, and not a real dangerous road, but the scenery is wonderful. The going to the sun hwy. in Glacier national Park.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Which one of your scooters will you ride and what will be your route? As a former Californian, I'm envious!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
'11 220i Blur
'08 250i Sport City
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

skipper20 wrote:
Which one of your scooters will you ride and what will be your route? As a former Californian, I'm envious!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia (AZ scooter)
'11 220i Blur
'08 250i Sport City
The helix has the call to service. As far as routes...I'll probably freeway it to LA, and then take the above adventurists scooter group route to sequoia and kings canyon. After that I'm really trying to figure out the best route to Yosemite. Maybe 41? Then of course I'll ride around
The park for a day or 2. Getting over to the coast is more vexing as I don't think there is a scenic route. I really need to hit the coast around seaside or Monterey as I don't have time to do it further north. Then of course route 1 through Big Sur on down to about Santa Barbara area...then maybe to Ojai, some canyons.. Not sure. Once I'm back in LA, back on super slab to SD...with maybe a detour over Ortega highway and south through the windy country road of fallbrook.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well if anyone wants to come out west and do CA-1 in late summer, I may be up for it if my butt's recovered from Cannonball!

Also thinking I may do it in December. Talking about doing holidays in Napa region. Wondering if I can convince my wife to drive while I ride. Not going to mention this until October or so.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

Actually the most terrifying part of the Dragon isn't the hairpin turns and all of the twisties, but instead the congested cage traffic. I don't know how many times I had a cage partially in my lane as I came through one of these turns. A good reason to avoid weekends there as it's a bit less "challenging" on weekdays.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright