Malossi or DR Big Bore Kit for my Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anton walbrook

Malossi or DR Big Bore Kit for my Buddy

Post by anton walbrook »

I got the Leo Vince Exhaust on my Buddy, and I decided that I need a big bore kit. I looked around and saw this one
http://www.scooterworks.com/malossi-cyl ... age_id=268
for $215.99
and I saw the same kit
http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=1011
for $149.99
but they also have the DR Big Bore Kit
http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=238
for even less. So is there a reason the Scooterworks kit is so much more? Is it different or better? Both appear to have the same part number. And how does the DR kit compare to the Malossi kit? It doesn't have the carbon fiber reeds, but someone told me they don't fit on the Buddy anyway. Is there another kit I should be considering? Is one ring better than two? I'm using the bike for basic daily transportation and it has to be reliable.[/url]
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

The Scooteworks kit includes a new head. The Scooterpartsco kit doesn't. Other than that I am not sure how to compare these. The DR kit looks interesting, and is certainly an attractive price.

I also would be interested in input from others. Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know how this affects gas mileage? Is it a major impact?

And, recommendations for jetting with the stock exhaust, or with the Prima? (I run an 88 jet with the Prima on the stock 50cc.)
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
MGM

Post by MGM »

The Malossi kit on the Scooter Pasrtsco site for $149.99 does include the Head as well as a reed valve upgrade. The kit in the link above is 129.99 and doesn't include the head. It's offered both ways because often the kit is not broken in correctly and the motor siezes, requiring replacement of everything but the head. Go for the extra $20.00. That kit is indeed the same one at ScooterWorks. As for a comparison between the Malossi and the DR racing, they both look like good kits, but Malossi has been doing this almost as long as there's been Italian scooters. I'd go with experience.
MGM

Post by MGM »

The Malossi kit on the Scooter Pasrtsco site for $149.99 does include the Head as well as a reed valve upgrade. The kit in the link above is 129.99 and doesn't include the head. It's offered both ways because often the kit is not broken in correctly and the motor siezes, requiring replacement of everything but the head. Go for the extra $20.00. That kit is indeed the same one at ScooterWorks. As for a comparison between the Malossi and the DR racing, they both look like good kits, but Malossi has been doing this almost as long as there's been Italian scooters. I'd go with experience.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Go with a dual ringed piston for longevity. If you can find a ceramic coated cylinder, even better.

Be careful with kits for the Genuine 50cc bikes. You need to make sure they will fit with your exhaust. I think there are variations on these engines where you can't just slap a Zuma or Minarelli bbk and go.

Scooter works will know the kits that work. I think they used to have a twin ring plated aluminum bbk kit for the Genuine 2 strokes.
lascooterservice

Post by lascooterservice »

i've had really good luck with the malossi kits on these. while they're still cast iron they seem to do the job nicely.

granted, there's nicer/better/more exotic stuff out there, but for the coin i think the malossi is the best money spent.

fwiw, i've installed at least six or eight of these between buddy and rough house... not a single problem. the polini and DR... not so much...

-greasy
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Thanks all for the great feedback. Any hints on jetting for the stock pipe? Or maybe a suggestion for a pipe with better performance but still quiet? I took the prima off because I got tired of the noise...
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!