New buddy running rough

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonyskids

New buddy running rough

Post by jonyskids »

We have a new Buddy 50 with 110 miles. We got to the end of the first tank and it started sputtering a bit. We filled up the tank (with premium) and now it sputters more and it looses acceleration for brief moments. We drove another 30 and then topped it off with regular gas and no change.

Where should I start? Fuel Filter, air filter, spark plug?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

JON
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

First off..why are you using premium? It is not a high compression motor.

Is the 2T oil reservoir full

Are you under warranty?

I would check the plug for fouling
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jonyskids

Newbie to two stroke

Post by jonyskids »

I now know better about the premium gas. I will check the oil and spark plug. I am under warranty and will more then likely take it in. Ultimately I want to learn how to do the work myself and see this as a good opportunity.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jon
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

You mentioned wanting to learn to work on your Buddy yourself. Here is a link to a thread with a link to a service manual for your Buddy 50: topic24343.html

With a scooter this new it's a good idea to just take it right back to the dealer.

Also, your roadside assistance will afford you a free tow if needed.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Swapping the spark plug is a cheap and easy test/repair, and if it doesn't make a difference, then you have a new one on hand for when you need it. So it's a good place to start. But you shouldn't be having any problems of this sort on a bike that new, so having the shop take care of it under warranty (before you try other stuff yourself and they could blame you for the problem) is good advice.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Most people should throw out everything they think they know about octane ratings. Only use what the engine was designed for. Higher octane requires higher compression/more heat to ignite and will actually hurt performance in an engine not designed for it.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I'd be willing to bet using high octane gas is not causing the symptoms described
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Did this get straightened out, by your dealer, I hope? For a brand new scooter running its first tank of gas, I would be far more suspicious of it having inhaled some small piece of rubbish from the gas tank as it got to the bottom. Does your scooter have a fuel filter? If not, this is an excellent moment to install one.

Hope you're back on the road soon!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote: For a brand new scooter running its first tank of gas, I would be far more suspicious of it having inhaled some small piece of rubbish from the gas tank as it got to the bottom.
Yes, crap in the carb would be my first suspicion as well.
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

Post by Partly cloudy Pete »

Your fuel cap my not be venting properly. This would cause what you are describing
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My '09 Buddy was purchased new at the dealership in January '11. Within the first 20 miles, it wouldn't start. A quick Roadside Assistance tow to the dealer and a quick carb-clean later, all was well (same-day). Turns out the carb jets had gunked up with some 'stuff' (sealant, whatever) from the gas tank _and_ there were traces of separated ethanol goo. But that quick cleanup fixed all the ills.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!