How do I adjust headlight aim on a Buddy 170i ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scottymorrison

How do I adjust headlight aim on a Buddy 170i ?

Post by scottymorrison »

I removed the headlight trim ring and couldn't see any adjustment screw. My headlight is aimed too low and is lighting up my front fender more than the road ahead. Where is the adjustment for this?
TVB

Post by TVB »

The Buddy headlight is a bit notorious for being anemic. The shape of the reflector angles some light down at the fender, and because it's so close, it shows brightly. So that may not be a problem with your headlight not being aimed correctly.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

You don't even have to do that, there's a little bolt below the headlight housing that you loosen, then you can gently adjust the headlight by sliding the bolt forwards, and retighten the bolt. My GF's headlight was shining almost straight down illuminating the bike more than the road when she first got it, it was the first thing we did. I think we ended up aiming it as high as it would go.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Here's a good method for getting the aim right:

There is a little set screw on the bottom of the headset that needs to be loosened in order to move the headlight up or down. Even after loosening the screw, it can be hard to move, so just keep gently rocking it until is moves freely. Some of the parts around the headlight are somewhat fragile so be careful.

Motorcycle Headlight Aiming
Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

With the bike on its wheels and you astride, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.

Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.

The headlight beam (on low beam) should be relatively flat on the top, and may rise rather sharply at the right edge. Adjust the headlight vertically so that the flat top of the beam is just up to that
line (marked two inches down at 17 feet).
scottymorrison

Post by scottymorrison »

Thanks everyone for the help getting my headlight sorted. It is still anemic, but now that I have it aimed correctly it is a whole lot more effective. I can see!