Some buddy troubleshooting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mcanaves

Some buddy troubleshooting

Post by Mcanaves »

Allright, so I'm riding my Buddy 125 today on one of my longer drives (250 miles) and I stalled out towards the end of the drive. Trying to figure out what's wrong/what I can do to fix him at this point. My first thought is he overheated, as I was in a rush and didn't give myself the usual adequate time for the engine/exhaust to rest on my gas stops. Usually I give him 20 minutes, today I gave him ten.

When he stalled, the motor changed sounds abruptly; it almost sounded like a choppy lawnmower engine suddenly. Currently I can start the engine, but it has the same sound effect (choppy, rough lawnmower) that it did when it died.

It has 7900 miles on it, and I've had him since October '13. Last oil and engine oil change was at 7000 miles. Last oil filter change was at 5900 miles. Last spark plug change was at 4500 miles. Only previous "issues" were sometimes upon initial acceleration from stop, I would feel the engine hiccup and have a rough jump as it accelerated; other issue was when coming to a stop, if I would kill the engine immediately when stopping, the exhaust would make a loud "pop" unless I rested the engine before killing it.

Thanks for any help guys, you're all always the best!
ed85379

Re: Some buddy troubleshooting

Post by ed85379 »

Well, mine didn't stall because of it, but when my scooter suddenly started making a MAJOR racket, super loud, like a lawn-mower, it turned out that the bolts holding the exhaust on fell out. The pipe was therefore loose and dangling, and bypassing the muffler. It was tight enough that I didn't notice that it was loose until I brought it into the shop. So I'd check that.
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

It could be many different things.

Since it happened right after filling your scoot with gas, it could be bad gas, a clogged fuel filter, or dirty carb.
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

Post by Partly cloudy Pete »

Have the valves ever been adjusted back to factory spec
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

It wasn't right after filling up, I had already riden about 50 miles from the last station. Also, I treated the tank with seafoam again right before this trip, if that helps.

The valves were never changed from factory settings (unless they naturally shift over time, which in that case, no).
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

I would start there, it sounds like your exhaust valve is closing to early
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It may just be me but it seems like many 09s have had stator failures. It's not unusual for electrical components to fail when hot. That's my guess but take some readings to check
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

It doesn't seem to be the stator, nor the exhaust. I'm almost certain it's a gear issue, actually. Here's an attached video of the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rz8ets4B8
Mr Stiffy

Post by Mr Stiffy »

Can't tell much from the video but it does sound like loose exhaust bolts based upon 5 secs.
Did you open up your cvt to check the variator, rollers and such?
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

I intend to in the morning. This happened today, so I haven't had a shot yet. Was looking for some first input. It's loud and sounds like death, I'm actually worried it may be something irreversible or expensive.
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

Sounds like you kick starter is hanging up. Do you kick start it or electric start.
If you are kick starting does it return up(the lever that u kick) or your starter bendex is not closing with the electric start. Both easy fix
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

Don't keep running it! You could be doing more damage behind the vct cover, you could be just throwing the spring around inside the cover chewing every thing up.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

This sounds alot like mine the other day...

Open up the CVT cover, inspect all the bolts carefully BEFORE starting with the cover off.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Sounds like a broken exhaust to me.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I would start by checking all the exhaust bolts. Then open up the cvt cover and see if everything looks right. Most likely could use at least a cleaning or possibly some new rollers.

With 7,900 miles you probably could use a valve adjustment.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I think the OP's Buddy has multiple problems. I'm guessing that the sudden onset of the noise in the video is either the starter mechanism as partly cloudy pete has suggested or a major snafu in the CVT. Either way, please be safe and at least wear eye protection if you turn it over with the CVT cover off.

Second, once you've sorted the mechanical noise problem, it should be obvious whether you also have an exhaust problem. If you have a bad exhaust leak, you don't want to put a lot a lot of miles on it as that can literally burn up your exhaust valve.

Third, considering the miles, it definitely due for a valve adjustment no matter what. That might sort out the popping or (fourth) that might turn out to be a carb problem.

I'm guessing this bike is your daily ride. You might want to team up with somebody local who's experienced with GY6 motors before you dig into this as there are some potential "gothchas" involved.