sport city or agility?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theemptythrone

sport city or agility?

Post by theemptythrone »

My mom is on the market for a scooter. After seeing me on mine she's been dying to get one. She was planning on getting a hooligan, but since our genuine dealer closed down that's not an option anymore...
We went to a few dealers today and seem to have narrowed it down to two, they're both 2009 old stock, and they're both great deals. The kymco agility is cheaper at 1,599, but the aprilla is a score a 2,100 what would you guys do?
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The SportCity is the 250?

They're very different scooters. The Aprilia is (IMHO) the better built of the two, but it comes with the baggage of being a Piaggio scoot: higher cost of ownership, possible parts issues. Aprilia is cutting back their US lineup. Not sure if that will be a concern, but dealers will likely be stocking very little in Aprilia parts. They weren't big sellers.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

no i should have stated that theyre both 125s
i was thinking about that aswell, but the guy said that they have and can get the parts required for basic matenence.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

theemptythrone wrote:no i should have stated that theyre both 125s
i was thinking about that aswell, but the guy said that they have and can get the parts required for basic matenence.
Kymco. They have the better chance of being around. Long term availability and dependability should be what is considered and I doubt you will get that with Aprilia.
Did you expect the dealer to say "We won't be able to get parts..."
skully93

Post by skully93 »

If they perform similarly, go for the kymco for now. The Sportciy is really comfy, I dunno. Subjective decision.

Aprillias are excellent performers, but just do a search for sportcity 125 parts, and you'll find they're not real easy to get. AF1 racing can order them for you, and there may be a ton of places I'm not in the know about. I just like being able to get something within a reasonable period of time if something goes wrong.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Normally, for all the reasons everyone has mentioned above, I would say forget the Aprilia, but it's such a stone deal at $2,100 that I'm going to call "Opposite Day" and say go for it. The Sport City has got to be the sexiest modern 125 scooter ever. I love the looks. Plus it's a totally superior scooter to the Agility.

Here's my thing. You probably won't be able to get parts to do a major repair on the Aprilia, BUT, at that price it wouldn't be cost effective to do a major repair costing a thousand dollars, anyway. Right? If you are willing to accept that fact then you get a scooter that's faster, sexier and cooler (by far) for only a few hundred dollars more. Plus, it's not like you would ever spend a thousand dollars to repair a $1600 Agility even if the parts were available, right? No way! So, in my mind, the decision between the two is a no-brainer when you look at it realistically.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

jrsjr wrote:Normally, for all the reasons everyone has mentioned above, I would say forget the Aprilia, but it's such a stone deal at $2,100 that I'm going to call "Opposite Day" and say go for it. The Sport City has got to be the sexiest modern 125 scooter ever. I love the looks. Plus it's a totally superior scooter to the Agility.

Here's my thing. You probably won't be able to get parts to do a major repair on the Aprilia, BUT, at that price it wouldn't be cost effective to do a major repair costing a thousand dollars, anyway. Right? If you are willing to accept that fact then you get a scooter that's faster, sexier and cooler (by far) for only a few hundred dollars more. Plus, it's not like you would ever spend a thousand dollars to repair a $1600 Agility even if the parts were available, right? No way! So, in my mind, the decision between the two is a no-brainer when you look at it realistically.
I agree if you are content to gaze upon your scooter as it sits, unrideable, waiting for parts. You can only take so many pics, wax it, talk sweet nothings to it so many times while waiting for parts to arrive on the SS Slow Boat before regretting your stone deal decision. While you are assured by email, telephone or face to face that "we ordered those parts two months ago and expect them any day", the warm weather riding season comes to a close with still no parts. Throughout this time you can feel better by repeating to yourself that "I had to go for it; it was such a stone deal!"
Meanwhile, your bud who bought the Kymco has had it in the shop for initial service and two other times for warranty repair and is happily riding down the road. Of course, he didn't get the stone deal that you did.
toot

Post by toot »

I always find myself wanting the exotic machines. But with my experience what it comes down to is usability. You get on the scooter. You turn the key and take off without worry. As an older woman I just want to go have fun and not worry whether my scooter will start or repairs. Any scooter that has problems with getting parts or repair is just not worth the great Deal or the wonderful looks. It is all subjective I know but life has other problems more important than scooter repairs. The trouble free scoot is the best choice :lol:
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I love my Sportcity 125. I bought mine, a brand new 2009 with 2 miles on it, in November 2012 for around $1700. I had some fuel issues to sort out and ended up needing to replace the fuel tap after just a few months, but it's been a great bike. It was originally black, but after a run-in with a poorly maintained railroad crossing, I banged it up a little bit. Nothing I couldn't live with, but I found a deal on new blue body panels (which I wanted originally anyway) and was able to change every panel for under $200.

Just look at her. How could you say no to that?

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

DoubleD wrote:I agree if you are content to gaze upon your scooter as it sits, unrideable, waiting for parts. You can only take so many pics, wax it, talk sweet nothings to it so many times while waiting for parts to arrive on the SS Slow Boat before regretting your stone deal decision. While you are assured by email, telephone or face to face that "we ordered those parts two months ago and expect them any day", the warm weather riding season comes to a close with still no parts. Throughout this time you can feel better by repeating to yourself that "I had to go for it; it was such a stone deal!"
Meanwhile, your bud who bought the Kymco has had it in the shop for initial service and two other times for warranty repair and is happily riding down the road. Of course, he didn't get the stone deal that you did.
And, if we were compaing scooters at a higher price point, say a Sport CIty 250 to a Kymco City 300, I would agree with you, but we're not. We're comparing two left-over 2009 scooters in the $1600-2100 range. I'm simply suggesting that, considering the used value of these scooters will be somewhere in the $800-1300 dollar range, it wouldn't be cost effective to pay shop rates of $110/hour to do a major repair to either of them. And for that reason, I think it's worth considering the small financial risk to own the mechanically-superior, sexy, Italian-made machine. In the case of the far-more-expensive left-over Sport City 250s that are floating around, I agree with you completely. I tell folks to forget about it.
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

I would go Aprilia all the way. Just a much better bike all around and parts are easy. As mentioned, AF1 got me whatever I requested fast.

If you can ride the two, iI guarantee you will go Sportcity. Not even a comparison. Look around and you can find the Sportcity pretty cheap. I love it when people have the wrong idea a product.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

It also depends on how mechanically inclined you are. There's not much I wouldn't be able to do myself when it comes to repairs. The closest Aprilia/Piaggio dealer is 100 miles away from me anyway.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

jrsjr wrote:
DoubleD wrote:I agree if you are content to gaze upon your scooter as it sits, unrideable, waiting for parts. You can only take so many pics, wax it, talk sweet nothings to it so many times while waiting for parts to arrive on the SS Slow Boat before regretting your stone deal decision. While you are assured by email, telephone or face to face that "we ordered those parts two months ago and expect them any day", the warm weather riding season comes to a close with still no parts. Throughout this time you can feel better by repeating to yourself that "I had to go for it; it was such a stone deal!"
And, if we were compaing scooters at a higher price point, say a Sport CIty 250 to a Kymco CIty 300, I would agree with you, but we're not. We're comparing two left-over 2009 scooters in the $1600-2100 range. I'm simply suggesting that, considering the used value of these scooters will be somewhere in the $800-1300 dollar range, it wouldn't be cost effective to pay shop rates of $110/hour to do a major repair to either of them. And for that reason, I think it's worth considering the small financial risk to own the mechanically-superior, sexy, Italian-made machine. In the case of the far-more-expensive left-over Sport City 250s that are floating around, I agree with you completely. I tell folks to forget about it.
We're looking at it in different ways and I agree from your point of view. A lot of people approach a scooter purchase from a standpoint of dollars first out of necessity and analyze their proposed purchase with a vengeance often utilizing the engineering approach of "no hair is too fine to split". I'm half joking but have also been in that situation. Having been burned with scooters no longer having a dealer around and parts scarce to nonexistent (Aprilia!) my view may be more cynical than some. Admittedly the internet has tempered that situation considerably. Now I am fortunately not as strapped as in the past and I look more at what is a practical purchase for my pleasure more than a financial advantage. I still am cost conscious, but it is balanced by my desire for convenience and enjoyable time on my scooter. That can over ride financial conservatism at times. I now consider myself fortunate and hope others will be in this situation sooner rather than later.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

brianwheelies wrote:I would go Aprilia all the way. Just a much better bike all around and parts are easy. As mentioned, AF1 got me whatever I requested fast.

If you can ride the two, I guarantee you will go Sportcity. Not even a comparison. Look around and you can find the Sportcity pretty cheap. I love it when people have the wrong idea a product.
I think this bears repeating. AF1 is a site sponsor. They are famous for all things Aprilia and they totally know what they're doing.
Attachments
Banner Ad from our site
Banner Ad from our site
Af1racing.JPG (15.55 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

jrsjr wrote: I think this bears repeating. AF1 is a site sponsor. They are famous for all things Aprilia and they totally know what they're doing.
+1

They are fantastic. I made it a point to stop by there when I was in Austin a few months ago. They are good people.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

thank you all for the replies ,Im going to link this to her in an email. when we were out looking at the scoots, she said she was more comfortable on the aprilla. i was leaning towards the kymco myself because im going to be doing the maintenance on it, but at the end of the day its her money and her scooter.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

theemptythrone wrote:thank you all for the replies ,Im going to link this to her in an email. when we were out looking at the scoots, she said she was more comfortable on the aprilla. i was leaning towards the kymco myself because im going to be doing the maintenance on it, but at the end of the day its her money and her scooter.
Go Mom!!!

P.S. Shad Topcase. Helmet. Jacket. Gloves. MSF Course. Not necessarily in that order. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Does the SportCity 125 have a Rotax engine?

If so, it can cost a lot to fix them. You probably wouldn't have to unless you have very high miles or neglected it. My mechanic hates seeing these come through, because the cost of repairing one usually isn't worth it. But, as I said, these are usually ones that weren't treated very well. Change the oil at proper intervals and get your valve checks and it shouldn't be a problem. (I've always wanted one of the Rotaxes.)

As for sexy — and I'm not including the obvious choice of the Buddys here — I have to say I really like the looks of the Piaggio Fly 150 3V.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

It's a Leader engine.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

jrstone wrote:It's a Leader engine.
Oh! Well...that's not bad!

Local shops here are also not fond of the Rotax. One said "They go nicely, until they DON'T."

If you're confident on the minor stuff, then, the Aprillia makes more sense if she finds it more comfortable. The bigger wheels are nice (I just broke my 2nd rear rack on a pothole today....).
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

the only thing im kinda ehh about is is the oil changes, ive only ridden two strokes before, so the four stroke is kind of intimidating for me, as to when and how and what type of oil i sue for the oil changes.

but im sure you guys can help me out in that factor.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I own a Sport City 300 and love the heck out of it. I see no reason to shy away from the Aprilia scooters which have Piaggio Leader or Quasar engines. They are the same engines as in comparable Piaggio and Vespa scooters so mechanical and service parts are easy to obtain. (and I agree that AF1 is an excellent source of Aprilia parts)

As to the right oil for Leader engines - 5W-40 full synthetic. I use Motul, many use Shell Rotella T6 or Castrol Edge which are readily available at discount stores.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'd go sport city. Looks better in person than pictures. I'm not afraid of parts either. So far I've been waiting for a petcock from genuine for 2 weeks. Nobody's perfect.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

lovemysan wrote:I'd go sport city. Looks better in person than pictures. I'm not afraid of parts either. So far I've been waiting for a petcock from genuine for 2 weeks. Nobody's perfect.
What ever do you mean? I think it looks fantastic in pictures... Especially my pictures. 8)

It looks even better once you put the Euro spec indicators on the front.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrstone wrote:
lovemysan wrote:I'd go sport city. Looks better in person than pictures. I'm not afraid of parts either. So far I've been waiting for a petcock from genuine for 2 weeks. Nobody's perfect.
What ever do you mean? I think it looks fantastic in pictures... Especially my pictures. 8)

It looks even better once you put the Euro spec indicators on the front.
Euro spec indicators?!? Now there is a part that has to be made of pure unobtanium. :shock:
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

jrsjr wrote: Euro spec indicators?!? Now there is a part that has to be made of pure unobtanium. :shock:
Not at all.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/ ... duct=43109
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/ ... duct=43110
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

we'll be picking up the sportcity tomorrow, pics will follow
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

there she is
Attachments
as promised
as promised
rsz_1rsz_momscoot.jpg (191.67 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

That is a beautiful scooter.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Good score, I hope it treats you well!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

DoubleD wrote:That is a beautiful scooter.
Agreed! That's a really nice photo, too.

Please tell Mom to ride safe! None of that "Ride-It-Like-You-Stole-It" stuff for Mom, okay? :D
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

haha, no worries there,felt like a dad giving her the "ride safe lecture". :lol:
toot

Post by toot »

You are so Blessed to have a loving and caring son that took so much time and effort to make sure you have a safe and beautiful scoot. Please ride safe and enjoy it always :D
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Woohoo... now tell her to get on the forum. I always feel like I'm the only one around who has a Sportcity 125. Occasionally I'll see someone with a 250, but it's not really even the same scooter.