Stella Auto First Ride(s) + Hooligan

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Stella Auto First Ride(s) + Hooligan

Post by ericalm »

Put about 20 miles on Stella Auto so far today but wil be doing much more tonight and tomorrow. Honestly, I'm very surprised by it. Sweet acceleration and pickup. Faster than a 4T. I don't think people will notice it's not a 150 when riding. Top speed, don't know yet. :)

CVT is nice and smooth. And the scoot is much more than just a Stella with a CVT crammed in. There are many improvements you can feel. I'll go into more detail later. The metal flake paint is beautiful! Pics to come!

Best of all, it still had the spirited feel of riding a P-shaped, metal-bodied scoot.

And I rode the Hooligan. I didn't get a lot of time with it but wow. If I was in the market for something in this size range, this would be it. I think a lot of people are going to love it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Looking forward to more info and pics!!
Baudler

Post by Baudler »

Tease.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

More hooligan please. R
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We want them both!

Wheee!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Pics here: http://is.gd/Dcbplo

I'll post some to the thread when back at my laptop with WiFi. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

I am so extremely bummed that we don't have a dealer anymore.
forget the cruiser, the hooligan is my rainbow unicorn
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

theemptythrone wrote:I am so extremely bummed that we don't have a dealer anymore.
What's cool is that it's real and coming soon. I originally thought, "Okay, 170i in a different body style. No big." Over time it got more and more interesting. It's DIFFERENT. The engine is familiar but everything else is new for a Genuine. They took everything they liked about two PGOs then made it better. The dual disc brakes are awesome. It feels much different than a Buddy, but doesn't have the over engineered, so stable it's boring feel of a lot of larger, injected machines.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

ericalm wrote:
theemptythrone wrote:I am so extremely bummed that we don't have a dealer anymore.
What's cool is that it's real and coming soon. I originally thought, "Okay, 170i in a different body style. No big." Over time it got more and more interesting. It's DIFFERENT. The engine is familiar but everything else is new for a Genuine. They took everything they liked about two PGOs then made it better. The dual disc brakes are awesome. It feels much different than a Buddy, but doesn't have the over engineered, so stable it's boring feel of a lot of larger, injected machines.

Can't wait to hear the 411 wrt performance.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The Stella's a 150? I really like the look of a Stella but I'm not going to shift for anything. This is really an option, if it turns out awesome (as I expect)!

EDIT: Never mind, just reread your post. "Not" a 150. Need to know that top speed, Eric! I got traveling to do!

So, are you now planning on riding the Stella from Alaska to New Orleans? :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

No, still riding the Helix. I'd consider the Hooligan if I had one, though! :)

The newbie test! I kind of want to draw a big "A" next to the dot. :)

The metal flake is hard to capture on iPhone, but it's really nice.

This makes much more sense than it may appear from the photo.

Same here.

It's RIGHT THERE. The 4T one is behind the spare and hard to access.

I love the blue, red and black. The ivory is nice, but not metallic. A little different than the creme Stella 4T.
Attachments
Locals may scoff but I'm not used to riding in windy, Chicago-style cold. I still had a big smile.
Locals may scoff but I'm not used to riding in windy, Chicago-style cold. I still had a big smile.
me_on_stella.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Nathaniel's "first ride" report on ScooterFile: http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-revi ... -125-auto/

More to come!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Awesome! I'm having a hard time not wanting to buy this. When will it be available nation-wide? Any idea?
toot

Post by toot »

You have all the fun Eric :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Awesome! I'm having a hard time not wanting to buy this. When will it be available nation-wide? Any idea?
Already shipping and some delivered to new owners!

So it's available depending on when your dealer ordered, how many, etc.
toot wrote:You have all the fun Eric :lol:
It's ALL fun! But I do appreciate when I get to do something like this.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Genuine site updated with Stellauto:

http://www.genuinescooters.com/stellaauto.html
hewl35

Post by hewl35 »

ericalm wrote:Genuine site updated with Stellauto:

I noticed that according to the specs that the speed is restricted. How do you get around that?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hewl35 wrote:
ericalm wrote:Genuine site updated with Stellauto:

I noticed that according to the specs that the speed is restricted. How do you get around that?
They say that for all scooters on the site. They're not "restricted" in the sense that a 50cc might be mechanically restricted. I think this means that like MPGs, it's based on lab conditions or with the scooter tuned for testing.

I don't really know the top speed but I was doing 55mph indicated on one with very low miles. I didn't want to hold it WOT for too long because it was still being broken in.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

Between the photos, your (Eric's) reports and Nathaniel's writeup, it looks like LML/Genuine did what they needed to do here, and should have a commercial success on their hands. I'm impressed.

Definitely need to head up to Marina del Rey when they get them in...
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Hooligan pics? :?: :D
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

bgwss wrote:Hooligan pics? :?: :D

There are a couple accidental pics on Genuine's Facebook page ;-)
Syd

Post by Syd »

I wonder if the StellaSpeed folks will embrace the Stellauto?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Who has them in the LA area now that there is no NoHo? When I asked about the Stellauto in Thousand Oaks they didn't have any idea of what I was talking about.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
toot

Post by toot »

U talked to the wrong person. I was told they are going to get them. That is the place I go to get repairs and bought from them. Try again or you have Epic motorsports in Goleta they will deliver nice guys too or Route 66 MDR. Haven't bought from them but I know they will have them. Where do u live in woodland hills. My husband went to Taft
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I called the local dealer and he said they expect to have the Stellauto in either late this week or early next. I am taking my Buddy in for an oil change Saturday afternoon. If the Stellauto is in, I get a test ride!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

OK, Toot, I'll try there again. I live in Walnut Acres, 3 blocks from Old Calabasas and less than a mile from Taft and El Camino. Lived here almost 30 years now. As they say, "There's no life east of Topanga."
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
toot

Post by toot »

Called Rex at TO Powersport. Said they don't have yet but if call him and put deposit u can get one fast. Good luck and let me know I really want to see it too. Toot
pugbuddy

New Hooligan

Post by pugbuddy »

The new Hooligan looks real nice. I like the 12" tires but after my initial experience with the Buddy 170cc engine (overheating at high speeds--keep in mind I had one of the first ones made so there may have been changes to address this), I'm a bit cautious.

What has Genuine done to keep the 170 cool during long rides? Anyone know?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

In case anyone is curious (and isn't on either Twitter or FB) Hooligan is now live: http://genuinescooters.com/hooligan.html
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

ravenlore wrote:In case anyone is curious (and isn't on either Twitter or FB) Hooligan is now live: http://genuinescooters.com/hooligan.html
Nice find ravenlore. I like the look just have some sticker shock with the price.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

agrogod wrote: I like the look just have some sticker shock with the price.
The Buddy 170i is priced at $3299 MSRP. The Hooligan is priced at $3399 MSRP. You find that price shocking? Compared to what? (I find the price of a BMW C650 GT or a Vespa 946 shocking personally)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Hmm, like the flat floor, like the black. Not so sure about the particle beam port below the headlight. I'll have to have a look in person.
theemptythrone

Post by theemptythrone »

gooodddd i want that hooligan so bad.....
scoots greazy v MCgilacuddy.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The best thing about the Hooligan is something that you can't tell from the pictures... it sounds absolutely wonderful. The sound is everything that the Blur isn't, deep and powerful sounding. The Hooligan is a fantastic scoot and hits the sweet spot of something just a bit larger than the Buddy, while still being small enough to have some fun with.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sorry to repost but I think it got lost in the "Hooligan is here"! fun.

What has Genuine done to keep the 170 cool during long rides? Anyone know?
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

No Idea, But it all depends on why your 170i was overheating.

Things that could contribute to overheating.

high air temp with high humidity will impact an air cooled bikes ability to cool itself.

a lower temp oil like 5w30 isn't suited for high heat, hotter climates are recomended to run 10w40 or 5w50.

running lean, if you had a leaking intake gasket, you would draw more air into the cylinder and would lean the charge thus making it burn hotter.

It's also possible that if your exhaust was too restrictive, the hot gasses wouldn't be able to exit fast enough and would keep the bike running hotter that it should.

Also found this:
Modern fuel-injected scooters are often build with heat-sensitive fail-safe circuits intended to protect the engine in cases of extreme heat. Models like the Genuine Buddy 170i will automatically retard spark, causing the scooter to cough and sputter and to produce very little horsepower. Riders often confuse this condition for a failure. In fact, the system is working perfectly. When the fail-safe system kicks in it is time to allow your scooter to cool down. Once the core temp of the engine falls a few degrees, the computer will reset and your scooter will run normally once again.
According to that it's not a defect it's a feature!

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Hands on review of the new Hooligan on scooterfile today.
VERY impressive ... this should be an absolute winner.

http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-revi ... igan-170i/

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'll be anxious to see what final performance specs are, but I bet this is a winner!

At this size/price point, this and the Honda PCX150 are ridiculously utilitarian.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

skully93 wrote:I'll be anxious to see what final performance specs are, but I bet this is a winner!

At this size/price point, this and the Honda PCX150 are ridiculously utilitarian.
Don't forget the new SYMHD200. I'm looking to replace my Honda Elite CH150, and it's tough coming to a decision between those fine scoots. I guess my "fit and bum" test will be the deciding factor.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

RoaringTodd wrote:
skully93 wrote:I'll be anxious to see what final performance specs are, but I bet this is a winner!

Don't forget the new SYMHD200. I'm looking to replace my Honda Elite CH150, and it's tough coming to a decision between those fine scoots. I guess my "fit and bum" test will be the deciding factor.

This is what it's come down to as my sister and I try to figure out a ride for my b-i-l. Hooligan and HD200 are very close in price and displacement, but the $4000 question is: are they close in HP/actual real-life performance?

And equally as important, ergonomics-will either be a fit for the tall and lanky b-i-l?

I'm looking forward to Part 2 of scooterfile's review: the actual ride.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ravenlore wrote: I'm looking forward to Part 2 of scooterfile's review: the actual ride.
Agreed. I really like the Hooligan although I prefer something a little more "classic", the look isn't Sci-Fi enough to turn me off.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

pugbuddy wrote:
ravenlore wrote: I'm looking forward to Part 2 of scooterfile's review: the actual ride.
Agreed. I really like the Hooligan although I prefer something a little more "classic", the look isn't Sci-Fi enough to turn me off.

I like the rugged lil badass look.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RoaringTodd wrote:

Sym has to prove to me that parts are readily available. If I can't get something within 10 days to get back on the road, I can't give them a positive recommendation.

However that isn't to say that Sym isn't recovering. Just several folks here have syms, and even minor repairs have turned into very lengthy procedures. Hopefully that will change over time, as they seem to be a very solid product.

::returns to regularly scheduled program::
Syd

Post by Syd »

Maybe I just had the best dealer in the US, but even in the worst of times, after the Carter Bros fire and before Alliance took over, my dealer could get me parts in less than a week.

Sportique isn't an SYM dealer anymore? Colin was the one that convinced me to get the HD200 back in the infamous BBS.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Syd wrote:Maybe I just had the best dealer in the US, but even in the worst of times, after the Carter Bros fire and before Alliance took over, my dealer could get me parts in less than a week.

Sportique isn't an SYM dealer anymore? Colin was the one that convinced me to get the HD200 back in the infamous BBS.
Things may have changed, but the last few times people were looking to trade in, he had to say "I can't reliably do anything with them, so I don't want to take them as trades."

However climates change fast! Maybe the parts will flow once again.

At any rate, I want to see the ride report of the Hooligan!
soakland

Post by soakland »

When I traded my SYM fiddles last fall my dealer actually gave me above KBB with absolutely no hesitations.
http://justgottascoot.com/sym.htm#Caution
Whatever it is, it's better in the wind.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

skully93 wrote:
At any rate, I want to see the ride report of the Hooligan!

Very interested in the Hooligan. The only thing about the looks is the headlights. I can't get past that. The rear disk should be incorporated into the Buddy FFS. That's a big upgrade in my book.