Help Buddy hive mind New Mexico Bound

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

agrogod

Help Buddy hive mind New Mexico Bound

Post by agrogod »

I have been in divorce seen 2010 and it seems that has finally come to fruition. So my decision is to leave the family homestead since it leaves too many memories and move too New Mexico. Are there any good areas in New Mexico that have good hilly terrain and desert like characteristics as well as river water running through it? Any input will be helpful.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Las Cruces comes to mind. Rio Grande runs through it. Could go a bit farther north, to Hatch, Truth or Consequences. The river's present, there's the Elephant Butte reservoir, the Caballo Reservoir.

Barring that, I'd go north of Alberquerque towards Santa Fe and Taos.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

az_slynch wrote:Las Cruces comes to mind. Rio Grande runs through it. Could go a bit farther north, to Hatch, Truth or Consequences. The river's present, there's the Elephant Butte reservoir, the Caballo Reservoir.

Barring that, I'd go north of Alberquerque towards Santa Fe and Taos.
I second the vote for Santa Fe or Taos. My sister lived in Roswell for a year, and...IMHO, most of NM might be a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Economy is not very good.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

What type of weather do you want to live in? If you want warmerer, year round riding, look to the southern part of the state. Th draw back is there are a lot more straight, flat areas in the south. Also, what size town/city are you looking for? What kind of work do you do? There are certainly some depressed areas, but not as bad as Michigan, I don't think?

In the south, Silver City is located in the mountains with LOTS of beautiful mountain roads on which to ride. Roswell has a lot of hilly country roads and there are many very small communites near-by with a lot of western history.

Albuquerque is located in the mountains but has easy access to I-40. The mountains to the north have great riding and there is a good sized scooter community there and 2 long standing rallies every year.

If you are of the Facebook persuasion, check out the Photos and Memories of New Mexico group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/535715656479082/ ) for great photos that will leaving wondering to which part of the state you should move.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

you should just move to Colorado then. Plenty of hills, rivers, desert, plains, and mountains!
skipper20

Re: Help Buddy hive mind New Mexico Bound

Post by skipper20 »

agrogod wrote:I have been in divorce seen 2010 and it seems that has finally come to fruition. So my decision is to leave the family homestead since it leaves too many memories and move too New Mexico. Are there any good areas in New Mexico that have good hilly terrain and desert like characteristics as well as river water running through it? Any input will be helpful.
Buy a round-trip ticket, rent a car, tour the state and decide for yourself. Also, check out Arizona right next door. It has all the stuff you're looking for but the summers are hot, hot and more hot.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona (til 4/3)
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Albuquerque!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

skully93 wrote:you should just move to Colorado then. Plenty of hills, rivers, desert, plains, and mountains!
Been there done that. Trying to get away from cold weather and want a warmer climate. Florida is not out of the question but I grew up down there and looking for a new place that I have not been before and has descent scooter laws.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
Syd

Post by Syd »

agrogod wrote:
skully93 wrote:you should just move to Colorado then. Plenty of hills, rivers, desert, plains, and mountains!
Been there done that. Trying to get away from cold weather and want a warmer climate. Florida is not out of the question but I grew up down there and looking for a new place that I have not been before and has descent scooter laws.
What about Arizona? Granted, the best places to live are the hardest to find work, and (one of) the best places for work is the worst place to ride, but you won't get cold.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skully93

Post by skully93 »

agrogod wrote:
Been there done that. Trying to get away from cold weather and want a warmer climate.
This I can see. WE only get true cold a few months a year, but a month on either side the weather is bipolar...
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote:
agrogod wrote:
Been there done that. Trying to get away from cold weather and want a warmer climate.
This I can see. WE only get true cold a few months a year, but a month on either side the weather is bipolar...

This past winter in Denver has been HEAVEN as far as i'm concerned. And sorry not sorry, that's not TRUE cold ;-)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

agrogod wrote:
OK, I'll try it once more. Visit it IN PERSON and then decide for yourself.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona (til 4/3)
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

still shifting wrote:Albuquerque!
This.

Albuquerque has been working hard to sell itself as a more laid back and charming city with a booming art scene. It's working too. And there is a good showing of scooterists there with the local Pharoahs.

You can't go wrong with pretty much most of the state. I really enjoyed my short ride through. Notably the Hondo Valley and Cibola National Forest.
TaoBuddy

Post by TaoBuddy »

Rivers? New Mexico? Have you seen this?

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
still shifting wrote:Albuquerque!
This.

Albuquerque has been working hard to sell itself as a more laid back and charming city with a booming art scene. It's working too. And there is a good showing of scooterists there with the local Pharoahs.

You can't go wrong with pretty much most of the state. I really enjoyed my short ride through. Notably the Hondo Valley and Cibola National Forest.
There is the Duke City Scooter Club here too I think... Blue Smoke Garage and a very active film scene. R
Syd

Post by Syd »

TaoBuddy wrote:Rivers? New Mexico? Have you seen this?

Ever hear of the Rio Grande River? It might start in CO, but it splits New Mexico in half. Remember hearing about the Pecos River in the old Westerns? Starts in New Mexico and spends more time there than it does in Texas. Yeah, New Mexico's got rivers.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Lived through the Florida drought in the early eighties when the 'Glades' water levels got so low there was talk of bringing in water to small areas so the wildlife would survive. No worries.
TaoBuddy

Post by TaoBuddy »

agrogod wrote:

Lived through the Florida drought in the early eighties when the 'Glades' water levels got so low there was talk of bringing in water to small areas so the wildlife would survive. No worries.
This is a bit different:

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/l ... fa5d1.html