Who else can pop a wheelie?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

Who else can pop a wheelie?

Post by iamryan25 »

It only took me 5k miles to figure out I can pop a wheelie on my buddy 125 with a prima pipe
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

I don't have a buddy but I figured out how to do wheelies on my old kymco people 150. My Blur can pull a pretty nice wheelie too.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I've lifted a wheel on stella once..spooked me cause I didnt think they could do that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've done it on a stock Buddy 125, Stella 4T and Vespa LX. Only one of these was on purpose.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MrOblivious

Post by MrOblivious »

I ride a 170i - wheelies are an everyday occurrence! :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I managed it once on a 50cc Honda Cub. It is more a matter of weight distribution than power. :wink:
Mcanaves

Post by Mcanaves »

Never done it, what do you actually do to pop a wheelie?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mcanaves wrote:Never done it, what do you actually do to pop a wheelie?
On a manual, you'd rev up and pop the clutch. Sudden torque and pulling on the bars will cause the front wheel to go up.

On an auto, the way I've done it is by revving and holding the rear brake, then releasing.

The only scoot I've gotten big air on is the Stella. Once. :shock:
Small wheelies were common when I was learning to shift and when the clutch cables were all out of whack.

The Buddy is not made for this type of shenanigans and many have dropped their scoots trying. The rear shock will compress pretty hard under the weight and it's easy to lose balance or even hit the rear fender.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I did it when I was test driving my Stella - first time riding a manual scooter
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It's pretty easy to do with a 161 kit
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

I'm sure most scooters can do one. It's all about timing and seating position.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bBiz wrote:I'm sure most scooters can do one. It's all about timing and seating position.
Anyone have a Burgman I can borrow?
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Well on my '07 I learned I could lean back while on the center stand with the back wheel spinning and wow that front wheel really goes in the air -- don't do this.

Recently on the '13 buddy 125...

I've found it is easiest from a coasting roll (or stop) at 0-5 I start lifting just after giving gas just as it revs up.

I have to be sitting forward on the seat and that will pop that front tire in the air a few inches before gravity brings it back down.

Dips and bumps can be great helpers.

Careful not to hold the gas too long or it just might get away from you.

It wasn't a wheelie machine in the first 3k miles, then again I used to try sitting back on the seat and lifting before revs, the opposite works better.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

ericalm wrote:
bBiz wrote:I'm sure most scooters can do one. It's all about timing and seating position.
Anyone have a Burgman I can borrow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knWol6i1zvU
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I did it once on a souped up Tomos moped by accident. :o And I have no doubt that my 170i is able to but I am not about to find out. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

A stock buddy has to be coaxed. Feet down sitting up right mine will pull the front tire from a stop at WOT. Feet on the floor board if I pull the bars it will come up. Or scoot back on the seat, feet down and nail it to ride one. I'm too clumsy to ride one with my feet on the floor board.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

My husband regularly does wheelies on his Stella when going through intersections when he is the first vehicle at a light. :P (not on purpose)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
GearsAndSuch

Post by GearsAndSuch »

Our 2007 (~5k miles) stock 125 will pull the front wheel up if you snap the throttle from a dead stop, but the equally stock 2008 (1k miles) won't.

The 2007 spent 3 years living outside, and I believe that the clutch internals are not moving as freely as the always-garaged 2008.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I have (accidentally) twice on my Kymco Like. Both times pulling a hard right into traffic. I don't know if my face conveyed the "I meant to do that" look or "I just pooped myself" look.