Please help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gwynne02

Please help

Post by gwynne02 »

Hey, here is problem. I have a 2011 rough house. Has 6500 miles on it. 2 weeks ago I drove it to school, perfect. Leaving school problem. I starts up and when I try to pull off it starts losing power. So I get it home change the carburetor.still same problem. Try to take it to the shop, nobody works on PGO mopeds here in Hawaii. So, I have no choice but to order a complete engine with another carb. Still the same problem. I change the petcock and fuel filter. Nothing same problem will idle forever but soon as you try to give it gas it starts to bog and losses power but doesn't cut off unless I keep trying to Rev it. Any solutions will be greatly appreciated,and thanks in advance
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm a bit surprised that you can't find a mechanic to work on your engine. PGO didn't invent it on their own; it's a standard two-stroke design that any competent professional should be able to work on.

(Unfortunately I'm not one of those, so I don't have any insight into the problem.)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

When was your last service? Have you checked/changed the air filter?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Partly cloudy Pete
Dealer

Post by Partly cloudy Pete »

Check to see if you exhaust is clogged up. If your scooter smokes a lot , that's were I would start.
gwynne02

update

Post by gwynne02 »

I will load a video today. I tried running it without the exhaust same thing. I don't have a air box connected
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Sea foam time?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sea Foam won't help if the carb, fuel filter and peacock have all been replaced.

Where in Hawaii are you? Is the dealer where you bought it no longer around?

Things to check:
Look for a kink in the fuel line. Is gas flowing into the carb properly?
Check your spark plug
No air filter? Check the intakes.
And, at that point, also the exhaust.

Have you ever had the valves checked?

Could be stator but unlikely. I'm only saying that because someone else will probably mention it. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: update

Post by jrsjr »

gwynne02 wrote:I will load a video today. I tried running it without the exhaust same thing. I don't have a air box connected
I'm sooooo confused. Was the scooter ever running properly without the airbox? I ask because these motors are a little touchy about the air intake. Other than that, it almost has to be a problem in the ignition coil => plug wire => spark plug, not necessarily in that order.

Can you pull the plug, leave it connected to the plug wire, ground it to the scooter, kick it over and verify that you have a nice fat blue spark?
agrogod

Re: update

Post by agrogod »

jrsjr wrote:
gwynne02 wrote:I will load a video today. I tried running it without the exhaust same thing. I don't have a air box connected
I'm sooooo confused. Was the scooter ever running properly without the airbox? I ask because these motors are a little touchy about the air intake. Other than that, it almost has to be a problem in the ignition coil => plug wire => spark plug, not necessarily in that order.

Can you pull the plug, leave it connected to the plug wire, ground it to the scooter, kick it over and verify that you have a nice fat blue spark?
Second that opinion since I think its an electrical problem and not a mechanical one.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
scootergrind

Post by scootergrind »

I think jrsjr may have hit on it with the air box question. If you mess with a 2T air intake (a lot of people open them up or even remove them thinking the engine will "breath" better) it can totally screw up the back pressure pulse that's needed for them to run properly. If you've made any mods to your intake or exhaust, you might want to put it back to stock and see what happens.

Don't know if it applies to the Roughhouse, but my GP1 has a small secondary air filter near the reed block that needs cleaned from time to time.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

scootergrind wrote:....
Don't know if it applies to the Roughhouse, but my GP1 has a small secondary air filter near the reed block that needs cleaned from time to time.
No secondary filter on the RH.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing