Replacement Battery for Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

Replacement Battery for Buddy

Post by Skippy »

Had to buy a new battery for my practically new Buddy 125 (15 months old- 500 miles). Even the battery tender wasn't working with it. Called my local dealer to discuss and the parts guy was very helpful so decided to buy from them instead of the internet like I do for most things. Big mistake. He sold me a Yuasa which is a good battery, but it set me back $125. After I put it together and installed it, I decided to see what the internet had to say, and saw that I could have gotten the same one all ready to go from Battery Parts for $26. Do these dealers want our repeat business? If so, how about charging a small markup and not ripping us off on parts? That's the last thing I'll buy from them for sure.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm not going to defend this as proper pricing ... but keep in mind that parts and service are many dealerships' bread and butter. They can't afford to do just "a small markup" on parts; they need to price them at a level (above their cost) that will pay the rent, wages, etc.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

TVB wrote:I'm not going to defend this as proper pricing ... but keep in mind that parts and service are many dealerships' bread and butter. They can't afford to do just "a small markup" on parts; they need to price them at a level (above their cost) that will pay the rent, wages, etc.
Sure they need to do a price markup for sure so they can continue to live, but that's just outright price gouging.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TVB

Post by TVB »

Which is why I said "I'm not going to defend this as proper pricing".
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Just emphasizing that over pricing for profit does not make a repeat customer. Especially since most common retail markups are around 50%. Based on his internet find that's well over a 300% markup.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sorry, that sounds a little 'crazy'. I replaced mine with a factory type YUASA battery two years ago, per recommendation of my shop, it was less than $40
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PIStaker

Batteries plus

Post by PIStaker »

Check out Batteries Plus, if there's on near you.
Keep in mind, the dimensions of the battery are slightly different than a standard battery. So you'll want to double check that before making your purchase from a non Motorsports store.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I got one at Batteries Plus - fits perfectly.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

Sorry, that sounds a little 'crazy'. I replaced mine with a factory type YUASA battery two years ago, per recommendation of my shop, it was less than $40
the price has gone up, but $125 is simply nuts...especially if it is not a factory-filled, factory-sealed, and pre-charged top tier battery!
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

kmrcstintn wrote:
the price has gone up, but $125 is simply nuts...especially if it is not a factory-filled, factory-sealed, and pre-charged top tier battery!
and 15 minutes of installation shouldn't equate to huge shop labor costs either. Even if they have a minimum, things like battery replacements should be excluded.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.