new Buddy, new member

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vintage red matthew

new Buddy, new member

Post by vintage red matthew »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddys but not scooters. I've had Vespas for about 12 years and I've owned a Stella. My everyday ride is a GTS250. I also have a 1960 VBA and a P200E with a sidecar. I've been a member on the Modern Vespa site for about 4 years and have about 2750 posts there. I have been lurking for a few days and I've seen some of my friends from MV. My new girlfriend wants to scoot with me and after some searching we scored this 2012 170i with less than 200 miles on the clock for $2000. I'm looking forward to a great summer of riding. I do all my own service so I've been searching for tips on oil, belts, rollers and such. I'm also shopping for a windshield. Anyhoo... I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Matthew

Hmmm... my picture is not working. I'll work on it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

That's a seriously good price on that Buddy 170!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The Buddy is way simpler in the care dept. cos everything is right in sight and you don't have to strip off everything just to get to the oil filter and the battery is right under your feet. That's what I like about it. simplicity. Welcome to the form.
ravenlore

Re: new Buddy, new member

Post by ravenlore »

vintage red matthew wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddys but not scooters. I've had Vespas for about 12 years and I've owned a Stella. My everyday ride is a GTS250. I also have a 1960 VBA and a P200E with a sidecar. I've been a member on the Modern Vespa site for about 4 years and have about 2750 posts there. I have been lurking for a few days and I've seen some of my friends from MV. My new girlfriend wants to scoot with me and after some searching we scored this 2012 170i with less than 200 miles on the clock for $2000. I'm looking forward to a great summer of riding. I do all my own service so I've been searching for tips on oil, belts, rollers and such. I'm also shopping for a windshield. Anyhoo... I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Matthew

Hmmm... my picture is not working. I'll work on it.

Welcome to the other side VRM!!! :-D
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome to MB, Matthew. Knowing your contributions at MV, it will be good to see you around.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad to see you over on MB. I'm sure your GF will enjoy the Buddy.
Attachments
WelcomeDog.jpg
WelcomeDog.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

vintage red matthew wrote:after some searching we scored this 2012 170i with less than 200 miles on the clock for $2000.

I do all my own service so I've been searching for tips on oil, belts, rollers and such. I'm also shopping for a windshield. Anyhoo... I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.
Congrats on the good deal.

There are lots of great tips for doing your own service. It should be an easy transition from your other scooters, especially with the threads that you will find here.

Welcome!
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Welcome to the group!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

vintage red matthew wrote:Hmmm... my picture is not working. I'll work on it.
Hey, welcome to Modern Buddy! I went over to Modern Vespa, downloaded your MV avatar, and tested it here. It worked fine w/out modification. In the past, when I've had trouble with avatar photos, it's been because I've accidentally used the wrong (read - "unedited") version of the source photo. YMMV

Again, welcome to Modern Buddy.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice! you got a killer deal!

I too bounce back and forth, and find it to be a very worthy use of time. Welcome to you both.
toot

Windscreen

Post by toot »

I put a 2006 Cupinni windscreen that I modified to fit the new style headlight. It looked so nice and worked perfectly. I liked that look so much better BUT I sold my 170i and got a Blur.
vintage red matthew

Post by vintage red matthew »

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm sure that I'm going to like it here.

Other than the windshield there are some other things that I want to look into. I never got a owners manual. I also want to get a service manual. Is there a way to download them? I would also like to get rid of the pod blinkers. It seems that I heard that there is a way to rewire them to the lower position.

I don't know if I am going to be able to post pictures. I tried to use my MV avatar and it said that the file size was too big. I'm using a tablet and I don't have a picture resizer.
Syd

Post by Syd »

You can get manuals here.

And use the Search function looking for Deadlights, there's lots of threads about using the stock (non-DOT) turn signals. (I think it's really easy.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
toot

Post by toot »

Stock light sockets are right under front cover. Have done it twice meaning dead light turn signal adapter. There is a thread You can order from VSP. Makes you really visible from the front or just plug original ones in. As usual it depends on State Law if remove. Have fun