[NSR] Travelling to Boston

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrstone

[NSR] Travelling to Boston

Post by jrstone »

My wife and I are planning a trip to Boston in September and I just want to get the opinion from those who live there or have been there about where is a good place to stay and what to absolutely not miss while we are there.

We will definitely try to get tickets to a Red Sox/Yankees game (I know they will be insanely overpriced), and one day we plan on driving up to Portland, ME, but that leaves us with 3 full days in Boston to do anything else we want.

We will have a car, so even if something isn't actually in Boston but close by, if you think it's worth seeing, let me know.

We plan on spending at least one night close to Fenway, but the other nights we are open to staying further out of the city.

Anyone who has suggestions, fire away!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you can get over to CharlesTown, you've gotta take a tour of the U.S.S. Consititution. Absolutely not to be missed in my opinion. Just beware of the low overheads, especially at the tops and bottoms of the ladders. It seems that folks back then were a bit shorter. Cracked my noggin a couple of times.
Syd

Post by Syd »

See rich people's houses in Newport, RI. (It's much better than that sounded.).

Or, if you get claustrophobic, go out to Mt Wachusett so you can see past the next tree. Can you delay it till autumn is in full swing?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

As for where to stay, locals probably can't help much with that, since we all tend to stay in our own homes/apartments. :)

As for what to see, it really depends on your interests. For example, if you enjoy old architecture and history, you should go for a walk around Beacon Hill and the North End, and definitely try out some Italian food in the latter.

If you like art, there is the Museum of Fine Arts and the Institute of Contemporary Art (MFA and ICA).

If you enjoy the water, there are plenty of harbor and river cruises, on plain ol' boats or old-fashioned clipper ships. There are some nice harbor islands too, like Spectacle Island, and Georges Island which is home to a Revolutionary War era fort.

If you enjoy that history, one of my favorite places outside of Boston is the famous Salem, MA. Home of the witch-trials, of course (and tons of kitschy "wiccan/magic" stores), but also a good amount of 18th and 19th century maritime history, and the Peabody Essex Museum. By later September, the Halloween season will be starting up there too, which makes it extra-festivally. I hear the Hawthorne Hotel there is a nice place to stay too; very old building.

So, really, what are you into?
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Thanks everyone. I love both Architecture and History. I fancy myself as a pretty good photographer as well, so I'm always looking for a good photo op. We would love to go a bit later in the year to see the autumn colours, but we are planning our trip around the Sox/Yankees series at the end of September (my wife is not just a little bit obsessed with baseball).

Our shared interests would mainly be 18th-19th century architecture, history, and food (although my wife comes from an Italian family so any "Italian" food must be authentic).

The USS Constitution is definitely on the list as well as Beacon Hill.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

jrstone wrote:Thanks everyone. I love both Architecture and History. I fancy myself as a pretty good photographer as well, so I'm always looking for a good photo op. We would love to go a bit later in the year to see the autumn colours, but we are planning our trip around the Sox/Yankees series at the end of September (my wife is not just a little bit obsessed with baseball).

Our shared interests would mainly be 18th-19th century architecture, history, and food (although my wife comes from an Italian family so any "Italian" food must be authentic).

The USS Constitution is definitely on the list as well as Beacon Hill.
Well, the North End is famous for the Italian food, so I think it is about as authentic as you can get, though naturally restaurant food is always going to be different than homemade (usually fancier). You will also see plenty of photo ops there. Plenty, also in Salem. In particular, check out Chestnut St, in the McIntire District. "McIntire Historic District includes a mix of Federalist style (1780-1825), Georgian (1725-1780), and First Period (1630-1730) homes."
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

If you like architecture, you may want to consider a drive down to Providence or Newport. The mansions in Newport will blow your mind (really, 12 fireplaces and this was a summer home?!) and well, Providence, we have Benefit Street, the longest contiguous district of preserved 18th and early 19th century homes in the country, as well as 7 other historic housing districts (I live in one).

That said, and this is coming from a New Yorker who is perpetually angry, I'd stay in Boston and just wander around. Boston Fine Arts Museum, gaaah! The ICA building will make you swoon, let alone the stuff in there. Then there's the JFK Library, the Freedom Trail, Cambridge (just over the Charles Rivah), walk around the Hahrvahd and MIT campuses (and lament the destruction of Building 20). Drink drink drink! The Micks are in the South End and the Eye-talians in the North End, or at least used to be ;) Eat real chowdah, not that nasty red stuff or, horrors, the clear that we have in little Rhody.

Have a great trip!
Anthonyf953

Post by Anthonyf953 »

I second Salem. Great town with lots of history. Its too bad you're not coming in October, Salem gets especially interesting around halloween. As for Boston the North End is great to walk around and get a bite to eat. Mare is in my opinion the best place to get a lobster roll in the city, and I have had many. Can't say much about their other food though. If you want food recommendations , Pm me and I can give you a nice long list.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is a nice little art museum, if thats your thing. Its famous as being the site of the worlds largest art heist ( the frames from the stolen pieces are still hanging ).

I've never been but Ive heard the Sam Adams brewery tour is a lot of fun. They also just opened an ice bar in Faneuil Hall. The entire bar is made of ice. Haven't been yet but seems interesting enough.

Can't think of much right now but when I do I will post!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Hopefully this will be helpful. We travel to Boston to visit my daughter who is a student at Berklee College of Music. We used to stay in the city, but driving in the city is not fun and parking is crazy expensive. Recently we have stayed at hotels outside of the city, usually Waltham. Then we drive to the Riverside T station because it has ample parking, and ride the T into the city. It's much less stressful and the cost of parking for the day is only about $7. On game days I have seen many locals park at Riverside and take the T to Fenway. That same line will also take you within walking distance to many other sites you may want to see in Boston without having to change trains.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I was going to suggest the Higgins Armory Museum, which is a large and very impressive collection of, well, armor. Think knights and jousting.

But it closed. That's too bad. The Higgins' collection is going to the Worcester Art Museum, but it just won't be the same, so never mind.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

When heading up to Portland, take rt 1 north, sure it's a little longer but you'll go through quaint towns and a fair amount of the drive is along the coast so it's pretty. Also head up to Gloucster and Rockport on Cape Ann. Rockport is fairly touristy, but it has great views and some fairly cools stores around Bears Neck. There is a parking lot just outside of downtown Rockport that will shuttle you in if you can't find parking on the street.
MB #2349
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Yeah, we are definitely wanting to drive up the coast to Portland. We plan on spending a whole day on our trip there starting early, so the more scenic the drive, the better.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

jrstone wrote:Yeah, we are definitely wanting to drive up the coast to Portland. We plan on spending a whole day on our trip there starting early, so the more scenic the drive, the better.
Try to stop in Portsmouth, NH. It's adorable. Portland, ME is also rocking. Route 1 can be mind-numbing so remember you can always hop on 95 if can't take the stop & go.