[SSR?] Morgan 3 Wheeler

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Syd

[SSR?] Morgan 3 Wheeler

Post by Syd »

I have the California Air Resources Board's Engine Certification page bookmarked, looking for the Genuine Rainbow Unicorn to appear. Yesterday I noticed a new engine certification for the Morgan 3Wheeler company.

WTH is this?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I saw 1 of these in My city last month and snapped a pic, didn't know what to think, kind cool it looked like it was put together well
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Oh heck yes! This is AWESOME! 8)
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

If memory serves, Morgan has been hand-building cars, per custom order, for perhaps 90 years or more in Malvern Link, England. They are still built in the same old factory. There used to be a dealer in San Francisco, and several other places in the US. I don't think they import them anymore.

If you ever saw what looked like an old mid-50s MG, but didn't quite look the same, it may have been a Morgan. Very well built and good performing cars. And quite pricey and desirable. A Morgan Plus 4 is on my dream list of cars that I'd like to own.

Morgan made 3 wheelers, very successfully, for several decades. 2 Wheels in front, 1 in the rear. The engine was mounted right at the very front, probably air-cooled, and I believe it was a 2 cylinder. Neat cars.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Morgans were featured on a recent "How It's Made - Dream Cars":

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jdwc ... shortfilms
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: [SSR?] Morgan 3 Wheeler

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:WTH is this?
It's a modern take on a very VERY old Morgan design that actually dates back to before the First World War. The latest take on the Mog was actually designed here in the USA by Liberty and bought back by the Morgan Motor Company in the UK. So it really has a very cool US/UK connection. Morgan is a for-reals car company that sells very expensive, hand-made, 4-wheel sports cars, so this is not some fly-by-night outfit. Go to any British car meet-up and somebody will be there with a Morgan. They're awesome. Now they are going to sell the new Mog here. As the narrator in Cannery Row famously said, "Once again the world was spinning in greased grooves."

If I win the lottery... :twisted:

P.S. The real secret to driving the old Mogs well was to master the art of the power slide. The rear wheel was very narrow and hard so it would break loose in a turn very easily. The rear wheel was the drive wheel so power fishtailing was the only way to drive it fast around a curve, sort of like a Porsche, except the front/rear weight bias is backwards relative to a Porsche. The new Mog will have modern sticky rubber, so the old driving style that made the original such a screaming hoot to drive won't work unless it has enough power to spin up the rear wheel, which I doubt.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Guess I need to expand my intertubes experience beyond MB and MV. :oops:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:The real secret to driving the old Mogs well was to master the art of the power slide.
Watch this wonderful comparative road test of the Morgan 3 and the Caterham 7. Beautiful video but you will also see some nice power cornering with the Morgan 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htI3weS49cc
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

OldGuy wrote:There used to be a dealer in San Francisco, and several other places in the US. I don't think they import them anymore.
Oh yes. Iris Imports, SF, was and is.

http://www.morgancars-usa.com/
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
jrsjr wrote:The real secret to driving the old Mogs well was to master the art of the power slide.
Watch this wonderful comparative road test of the Morgan 3 and the Caterham 7. Beautiful video but you will also see some nice power cornering with the Morgan 3.

Thank you! The scene at 3:20 pretty much shows the dynamics of successfully pitching a Mog into a turn. The Caterham 7 is a great classic car, but my heart belongs to the Mog. I wish they'd run it down an unpaved country road so you could really see it claw its way around a bend with the steering wheel heeled all the way over and that light 3 wheel car skittering sideways with the rear wheel spinning and then clawing its way out of the turn as it comes back into line. Lovely. Just lovely. <Sniff>
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Dooglas wrote:

The Caterham 7 (or Lotus) and the Morgan Aero are two of my favorites. Would love to have that 3 wheeler as well.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

There is a Morgan dealer in Santa Monica, been there for many years. Here's the link: http://www.morganwest.net/

I raced an ex-factory Sebring Morgan in the early 60's until I totaled it at the Meadowdale track in N. Illinois.

Always wanted a pre-war Morgan Super Sports which this new one looks like. I see Jay Leno with his in the Santa Monica mountains occasionally. He was at the Rock Store 2 or 3 weeks ago.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Tazio, that's very cool. Well, except for the part about totaling the Morgan!

I worked at a drugstore in the very early 70's, after high school, as a delivery boy. The shop next door was an art studio; I think they did stained glass. The owner had a Morgan, so I got to admire it most every day. I have really appreciated and liked them ever since.

I like the 50's and 60's Morgans with the Triumph running gear.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

SockyTX wrote:I saw 1 of these in My city last month and snapped a pic, didn't know what to think, kind cool it looked like it was put together well
I wonder if it's possible that what you saw was a Triking. The Triking was a very similar design, patterned after the Mog, of course, that ran a Moto Guzzi motor.
Attachments
Triking Cyclecar
Triking Cyclecar
TrikingCyclecar.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here's Leno's try in a pre-production version. He finds out a lot about how low it really is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CvVr9jU4I0

I have a small deposit on an Elio http://www.eliomotors.com, which I hope will be very frugal, and almost as fun but with a fraction of the cost (and pedigree) of the Morgan.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Rippinyarn wrote:Here's Leno's try in a pre-production version. He finds out a lot about how low it really is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CvVr9jU4I0

I have a small deposit on an Elio http://www.eliomotors.com, which I hope will be very frugal, and almost as fun but with a fraction of the cost (and pedigree) of the Morgan.
To heck with the Morgan, the Elio is a way cooler concept in design and innovation. Since I have started the ball rolling on my newest venture into the land of investing, this is such a unique concept I am considering in investing in this company. Not only are they US based but just the simple fact that there are actively trying to get out of work Americans back into the workforce is incentive alone for me. I just hope this catches on and they don't go the way of the defunct Saturn Co..
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I went to a vintage race at Circuit of the Americas last year and there were a couple Morgan 3 Wheelers in the Pre-War group. They were slow, but sure looked like a lot of fun.

jrstone

Post by jrstone »

agrogod wrote: I just hope this catches on and they don't go the way of the defunct Saturn Co..
The fact that the best car Saturn ever sold was 0% American says a lot. They killed off the brand just as it was starting to get interesting.