Summoning some MB mojo

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

Summoning some MB mojo

Post by charlie55 »

My brother-in-law is taking his MSF test tomorrow and I need you all to aim your positive vibe transmitters in the direction of New Brunswick, NJ.

I just received an email from him - he aced the written test (100%) but was obsessing over some trouble he had with finding the friction zone and not stalling out in first. Told him not to sweat it; almost everyone has problems with it. Besides, around here the bikes they use for the course aren't exactly what you'd call "tuned to perfection".

I really need for him to pass this so that I can have a riding buddy who knows exactly what it's like to be married to one of the Borgia sisters. As they say, misery loves company. :wink:
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Good thoughts his way.... :D
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I wish him the best! But he'll probably do fine. Let us know!
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm sending test passing mojo from Arizona.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

+1 on the Arizona mojo. Go get 'em, tiger!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yay for riding buddies!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Its a good morning, be calm and pass that thing. I taught MSF for years and loved the smile of passing students Sunday afternoon. I miss that job.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Sending the "Lee Majors/Bionic Man", telepathic signal for good luck now....Or is it Aqua-Man?....
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Tough news - he didn't pass. Judging from what he told me, it sounds like his nerves got the better of him - he is kind of a high-strung guy. As of now, he says that he doesn't want to repeat the class, and I get the feeling that he might not pursue a two-wheeler any further. Too bad, would've been nice to spend some road time with him.

Thanks all for the support.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:Tough news - he didn't pass. Judging from what he told me, it sounds like his nerves got the better of him - he is kind of a high-strung guy. As of now, he says that he doesn't want to repeat the class, and I get the feeling that he might not pursue a two-wheeler any further. Too bad, would've been nice to spend some road time with him.

Thanks all for the support.
Aw, man... Sorry to hear. I was quietly pulling for him, but I've met some folks over the years who could not do the clutch thing. It just means there's something else out there that's going to be his thing. Sorry it didn't work out. :(
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Do they allow the use of personal scooters on the course?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

RoaringTodd wrote:Do they allow the use of personal scooters on the course?
Don't know. I took mine 6 years ago at a different location and I don't think they were allowed at that time.

Spoke with him late yesterday, and he racked up 25 penalty points with 20 being the limit for passing. Couldn't stay in the box during the figure-8 test, knocked over a cone on the swerves, and failed to brake in the required distance. Like some folks that have posted here on the forum, he felt that the course tried to cram too much into just a couple of days and he was overwhelmed. I dunno, I had never ridden anything two-wheeled but a bicycle and I thought that it was a relative piece of cake. Different folks learn differently I guess.

Could be a good thing however. I mean if someone gets that flustered in a controlled environment, it may not bode well for how they'd handle real-world scenarios.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hey charlie, I taught 3 ranges this weekend, and every part of my body aches.

I've had students who are doing ok all day long, but as soon as the clipboard comes out, they forget everything they've been doing. I try to hide it and not make a big deal so it sorta feels just like the rest of the day, but some folks just get in their own way.

The box isn't a big deal, but the other two areas, clipping on the swerve and not stopping quickly enough, those are life-saving skills. Maybe he should have failed.

If he wants it bad enough, he'll do it again. And sorry about the Borgia sister...life's too short.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

siobhan wrote:Hey charlie, I taught 3 ranges this weekend, and every part of my body aches.

I've had students who are doing ok all day long, but as soon as the clipboard comes out, they forget everything they've been doing. I try to hide it and not make a big deal so it sorta feels just like the rest of the day, but some folks just get in their own way.

The box isn't a big deal, but the other two areas, clipping on the swerve and not stopping quickly enough, those are life-saving skills. Maybe he should have failed.

If he wants it bad enough, he'll do it again. And sorry about the Borgia sister...life's too short.
Yeah, I think that like a lot of folks, he fell in love with the idea of riding but got thrown for a loop when the reality finally set in - it ain't all rainbows and unicorn farts. I felt that his initial idea that he was going to just hop onto a $20,000 Indian and tootle back and forth to Manhattan every day was pretty unrealistic - that's why I tried to slow him down a bit by suggesting that he take the MSF course. Better to eat $250 and nurse a bruised ego than to rack up a big-bucks ride and be nursing a broken neck.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Update:

Just got an email from my brother-in-law. He re-took the course and this time he passed with only 6 penalty points. Nice comeback!

So, we're off to Cycle Gear next Saturday for some window shopping. Just in time for Father's Day.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Solid! (with a fist up)....
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Excellent news! Really glad this story had a happy two-wheeled ending. :D
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Please pass along my congratulations. The fact that he stuck with it is a good sign, now he has to remember that you never stop learning when riding!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Awesome news, now the real work begins, all the practice! And motorcycle window shopping sounds so fun, off to get that Indian!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Did you advise him to buy something used, then take it to a gravel parking lot and throw it on the ground a few times, just to get it over with? :P
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

peabody99 wrote:Awesome news, now the real work begins, all the practice! And motorcycle window shopping sounds so fun, off to get that Indian!
Hhhmm, let's think about this.....

Right now I've got a ride and he doesn't. That means I'm ahead on points in the coolness category.

Assuming he gets that Indian, that'll drop me into second - not good.

So, it looks like the only way out of this is for me to pick up an Aermacchi 350 for restoration.

Surely Her Majesty will appreciate the logic.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Congrats, BIL. Ride safe!
The majority is always sane - Nessus