Extra Fuel in Top Case?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TaoBuddy

Extra Fuel in Top Case?

Post by TaoBuddy »

Is this a stupid idea? Thinking about putting either a one gallon gas canniser or two 30 ounce MSR fuel bottles ( about 1/2 gallon) in my top case for my west coast ride.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have a 20oz MSR. It gets bounced around a bit in the glove tray, but has never leaked.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

If you are concerned about the container(s) moving around while in transit you could do some top case modding. Add some u-bolt's to the inside of the case and use bungee's to keep them in place. Or even better these will give a much cleaner mount http://www.suncorstainless.com/eye-nut . This of course would entail you drilling into the case to mount the necessary hardware.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TaoBuddy

Post by TaoBuddy »

No, it will be stable. Just not wanting to blow myself up.
agrogod wrote:If you are concerned about the container(s) moving around while in transit you could do some top case modding. Add some u-bolt's to the inside of the case and use bungee's to keep them in place. Or even better these will give a much cleaner mount http://www.suncorstainless.com/eye-nut . This of course would entail you drilling into the case to mount the necessary hardware.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Well as long as it is an approved fuel container, not something like a milk jug, you should be okay.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I use a 1 litre camp stove fuel container (aluminum) and have never had any problems with leakage. I have 2, two and half gallon spare tanks on my Ural though.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Spare fuel tanks are generally regulated on a state by state basis. The weight isn't really a problem. That usually starts with a roll over.

I use a tour tank (that has been on every (CBR) that has a roll over vent valve. I also have a cover for it that makes it look like a bedroll.

That being said, I would use an approved can. Just remember to place it on the ground when filling and leave some room for the gas to expand when it gets hot inside the top box.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TaoBuddy

Post by TaoBuddy »

Thanks for the tips all, really helps call my brain.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Unless you really need that much fuel for range (i.e. you expect to not be able to find a gas station every 100 miles), I wouldn't bother carrying even half a gallon. I carry a 20-ounce metal bottle of gas in my glove bucket, which is enough to go another 25 miles (30 if you're careful) if you misjudge distance or forget to pay attention, and run out. Remember: the key to successful travel of this sort is to be prepared, but not over-prepared. So don't bring anything along "just in case" that you can buy fairly easily when/if you need it. (Likewise, I carry spare 2T oil when I'm on the road, but only a little 3.2-oz bottle: enough to get me to the next hardware store or well-stocked gas station for a full quart.)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

not stupid at all....
Attachments
nm1.jpg
nm1.jpg (122.13 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:not stupid at all....
Nothing like having a warhead strapped to the front to clear the SUVs out of the way! :twisted:
vintage red matthew

Post by vintage red matthew »

When I went on my Iron Butt ride I carried a plastic two gallon gas can in my top box. I would fill the scoot and the can at the gas station and record my time, location, mileage etc. When the tank ran low I pulled over an dumped the can into the tank. Since all the info had been recorded at the station it only took a minute. I was able to finish with 5 fewer stops, saving about an hour.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I got an Optimus Fuel Bottle, 1 liter, which I keep under my seat. It's a lot of peace of mind when I'm running near empty.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/p ... 000001_-1_
ender07

Post by ender07 »

ed85379 wrote:I got an Optimus Fuel Bottle, 1 liter, which I keep under my seat. It's a lot of peace of mind when I'm running near empty.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/p ... 000001_-1_
+1 on this bottle, it doesn't leak at all and is very high quality.
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight
TaoBuddy

Post by TaoBuddy »

Ha, awesome, that makes me feel much better.
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:not stupid at all....
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

my 'setup' is different...I have a milk crate mounted to my rear rack, so I can secure a gallon gas can inside that with bungee cords to prevent bouncing around; as an alternative...I use 2 of the 32 ounce cans that hold ethanol-free gas that is sold for use in small-engine outdoor power equipment; I do my best to fill them up without overfilling and spilling gas (not an easy feat) & secure them in the corners of the milk crate with bungee cords; I prefer the gallon container, but sometimes need the extra room afforded by using the smaller metal cans
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
hal888

Post by hal888 »

you do realize that those who blew up with such an action are unlikely able to respond to your safety question....... :wink:
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

I just got a 30oz fuel bottle to carry with me. I'm planning on doing some longer rides and wanted extra fuel.
Knows just enough to be dangerous
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

All of my rigs have a 1 gallon fuel container, easily obtained at WallyWorld
and parts stores either in the top case on the 170i, the trunk of the sidecar rig and the large box of the TGB Delivery. I don't fuel up as gas stations, keep 5 gallon containers full in my shop. Use Stabil also. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I _almost_ needed to use my MSR bottle yesterday. St. Louis to Moonshine, IL and back (about 330 miles altogether). MPG dropped to about 68 over the course of the day, as there was a huge cross/quartering wind and I ended up at WOT a lot of the time. I got well into the red zone between a couple of towns/fillups, and I was glad I had the extra fuel with me. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!