confused about Buddy tire size and tube type vs tubeless

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

setyaback

confused about Buddy tire size and tube type vs tubeless

Post by setyaback »

I have a 2012 Buddy Little Italia, 50 cc. I need to get the rear tire changed before I get back on the road, its tread is basically gone. I'm having a very difficult time finding reliable & consistent info on tires.

The main Buddy website (http://www.genuinescooters.com/lil_internat.html) says the tires are 90/90-10, but the tires on my bike (Shinko whitewalls) are 3.00-10. I believe they are the factory original tires, so what gives? Will either size fit w/ proper clearance on the mudflap, etc.? Which is "best?"

Also, my Shinko's say "tube type." I am looking to upgrade to a Michelin S1 or S83, which are listed as TL/TT on Michelin's website. Does that mean they are available as either and I need to specify, or that they work as either tubed OR tubeless, interchangeably?

Thanks so much!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The 90/90-10 and 3.00-10 are essentially interchangeable. The Buddy wheels will mount tubeless tires and that is the better choice IMO. Most tubeless tires can also be mounted with tubes on a split wheel. The Shinkos are a poor quality tire and you will certainly experience the difference when you step up to some such as Michelin or Heidenau.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've used Michelin S83s before on my Buddy. They are good tires. I've since switched to Heidenaus.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

pugbuddy wrote:I've used Michelin S83s before on my Buddy. They are good tires. I've since switched to Heidenaus.
Did you run with the 3.5x10 or the 100/90/10 size?

Reason I'm asking is because another CB rider offered to drop an S83 in a 3.5x10 near the start for me to switch to at the same price I would pay on Revzilla. I will save the cost of shipping, but sounds like I'd lose a little tire width. I was looking to see if it's worth getting the 3.5x10, or the wider 100/90/10. Going to be some curvy roads, a few stretches of packed limestone, and so on.