large clutch nut

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

issue31

large clutch nut

Post by issue31 »

:x How do you hold the clutch to get the big clutch nut to the right torque before you reinstall it on a scooter?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Are you asking about the outer clutch nut on the clutch bell or the inner flat nut that holds the clutch to the driven pulley system?

In both instances, I use a strap wrench to hold things in place when tightening the nut and I also use blue LockTite for both.

I don't use a torque wrench on the inner flat nut because I don't have a socket that big so I actually clamp that nut upside down in a bench vise and use the strap wrench to turn the whole clutch assembly instead of turning the nut.

I have also used a Swedish-style Stilson wrench in combination with a strap wrench for the flat inner clutch nut. This one has adjustment that keeps the jaws parallel to each other and can sit nice and tight against the flat nut.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
issue31

Post by issue31 »

Hi Tocsik: it would be the inner flat nut.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I use a large crescent wrench. Clutch on the left. Wrench in the right. Holding the 2 together with your hands. Point the handle away from you, strike the handle on something hard 5-10 times and it will free up. There is a youtube video but I can't link it on my phone. I
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

agrogod

Post by agrogod »

brianwheelies I fixed your post.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The OP was asking about re-torquing, not removal. Probably appreciates the responses about removal, though.

Does anyone use a torque wrench on the flat fixing nut?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Tocsik wrote:The OP was asking about re-torquing, not removal. Probably appreciates the responses about removal, though.

Does anyone use a torque wrench on the flat fixing nut?
Ah I missed that. I started off by marking it and then reinstalling to the mark. Now I go by feel.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Hope you got the clutch nut sorted out.
I'm following-up to make sure you don't experience what I went through when that same nut backed out a bit on my scooter: viewtopic.php?t=23703&highlight=clutch+nut

I think it's happened to a couple other folks here on MB.
issue31

Large nut..

Post by issue31 »

:lol: Inner clutch nut
Thanks Tocsik and agrogod! I used the large crescent wrench method, along with stake marks and a little blue lock tight. I also cut a hole in a piece of ply wood so I could use my knees to compress the spring. Everything worked grate! Thanks again for your help. Issue31
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The board with the hole is the best method for compressing that damn spring when you work alone! Especially anything over the stock contra spring stiffness.

Good job, man!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm fairly certain this thread title is certain to be added to the "double entendre" thread. :lol:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

pugbuddy wrote:I'm fairly certain this thread title is certain to be added to the "double entendre" thread. :lol:

:rofl:
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

I've got a stiffer contra spring to install. I was thinking of doing the board-with-a-hole. Seemed a lot easier.
Knows just enough to be dangerous