Post your favorite scooter road

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Post your favorite scooter road

Post by wheelbender6 »

A good road that combines hills and curves or great scenery with scooter friendly traffic conditions is a little tough to find. The routes listed on the motorcycle sites usually involve high speed limits. I have bought books with the best bicycle routes in my state and they are more helpful because they provide more info on the roads like if there is a nice emergency lane where you can pull over and allow faster traffic to pass.
If you find a good route, share it. Here is a link to mine. Many of you probably saw it already.
topic27035.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Syd

Post by Syd »

I haven't ridden much of it, and it may not be especially scooter friendly, but my dream ride in AZ is Hwy 89/89A from Congress to Flagstaff, AZ, followed by Hwy 180 N and the Snowbowl Rd to nearly 10,000 ft up the San Francisco Peaks.

There is a Hwy in eastern AZ that I've read about and seen on maps that looks epic. Forget the Tail, that road looks like the whole Dragon.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

About 5mins from my house is a state forest. It's nothing big but it just sits in the middle of a very urban area. Last week I decided to follow some roads I've never bothered to explore all around. They were nice twisties surrounded but forest and small farms. I'm adding it to my long rides home.
TVB

Post by TVB »

One of the best scooter roads in Michigan is the "Tunnel of Trees", M-119 in northwest Lower Michigan. It's too narrow for a center line, with a max speed limit of 45mph, and wends its way through northern hardwood forest, following the Lake Michigan coastline. (The Lake is usually out of view, down the steep banks to the west.) It goes for about 25 miles north of Petoskey, to... nowhere, really. Which is part of its charm. You can turn inland at the end and make your way to Mackinaw City, but it's a slow and indirect way to get there from Petoskey, so few people go that way. There are a couple small villages on the route and residences along the way, but there's no other reason for anyone to take this road. Except to ride the road. You won't have it to yourself (bicyclists go there for the same reason you do), so take it slow and easy. Which (IMHO) is the best way to ride.

Last edited by TVB on Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Chesterfield, MO to Washington, MO via County Hwy T (http://goo.gl/maps/ksEYx). Nicely paved, 2 lanes, runs along some nice ridges, gentle curves. Take a gander at Google Street View.

I was introduced to this road on a group rally ride last fall, when all the leaves were changing. Just gorgeous.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Living in the west San Fernando Valley, there are fantastic scooter, sports car and bicycle roads in all directions except east. There is no life east of Topanga Canyon, or at least not much.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Syd - I have driven (in a cage) AZ 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff thru Oak Creek Canyon and I agree it would be a primo scooter route for 125cc and above.
A great scoot road close to Tempe is the Roosevelt Highway (AZ 99?) from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flats. It turns to dirt after Tortilla Flats, for the Ruckus and Zuma riders.
Syd

Post by Syd »

wheelbender6 wrote:Syd - I have driven (in a cage) AZ 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff thru Oak Creek Canyon and I agree it would be a primo scooter route for 125cc and above.
A great scoot road close to Tempe is the Roosevelt Highway (AZ 99?) from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flats. It turns to dirt after Tortilla Flats, for the Ruckus and Zuma riders.
I've ridden that a couple times and driven it tons (it's AZ Hwy 88, actually). Thing is, from Tempe it takes almost as long to get to AJ (Apache Junction) as it would to get to Congress. And forget it on weekends, especially Fall through Spring, as all the weekend bikers and the Winter Visitors, aka Snowbirds, are on that road all day long.

But if you want to spend a great day, drive from Phoenix metro east on US Hwy 60 out to Globe, then AZ Hwy 188 west to Roosevelt lake, then AZ Hwy 88 south back to AJ. Great scenery and a good Mexican restaurant in Globe too.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

too many decent/good roads in my area...from nice, long straight sections to curvy hillclimbs to twisty farm roads with deep turns; guess it depends on my mood...and learning several new roads each riding season makes narrowing it down to one favorite even more difficult...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

kmrcstintn wrote:too many decent/good roads in my area...from nice, long straight sections to curvy hillclimbs to twisty farm roads with deep turns; guess it depends on my mood...and learning several new roads each riding season makes narrowing it down to one favorite even more difficult...
I have bunches of roads like that too. Right out my door!

Funny thing-I never noticed them until I rode a scooter.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
toot

Post by toot »

Mulholland to Stunt Rd. to top, then down to Las Virgines. What a beautiful twisty road. At top view to San Fernando Valley one side of peak to Malibu and Santa Monica on other side. :D :D :D :D :D
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

In San Francisco, I have a really good time riding around the Presidio, which is a national park right in the middle of town. It has hills, twisties and excellent views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's been a great "training ground" for me.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I envy you guys that live near a lot of fun curvey roads. In the Houston area, they can be tough to find.
C2

Post by C2 »

Lost of good rides around here. Several ending up at the famous Alice's Restaurant - https://goo.gl/maps/KI92i The best is pulling up on my Buddy when there are Harleys, Triumphs and Ducatis parked all around.

La Honda Rd has some nice twists and turns. Old La Honda has some major twists and turns.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

kmrcstintn wrote:too many decent/good roads in my area...from nice, long straight sections to curvy hillclimbs to twisty farm roads with deep turns; guess it depends on my mood...and learning several new roads each riding season makes narrowing it down to one favorite even more difficult...
Really, too many great roads in this part of the world to single out one or two, it has to be then the trip. From where I live, I like to go up through Mt Gretna if I'm headed towards your area.
One of my favorite rides is to Port Deposit Md, there's a great 'Crab Shack' there. I'll ride south on River Road (441) and squirell about on whichever road I can find staying on the east side of the river crossing at Conewego and of course stop, eat, maybe have a beer or two, then head north up the west side of the river crossing back over Columbia/Wrightsville. It's a 150+ mile trip.
My son and I did it once, having had a few too many beers at our stop needed to find a motel down there for the night. Hate to say this but it did look kinda 'funny', a middle aged guy on a scooter and a twenty-something on a sport bike checking into a 'questionable' motel with no luggage..... :oops:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

toot wrote:Mulholland to Stunt Rd. to top, then down to Las Virgines. What a beautiful twisty road. At top view to San Fernando Valley one side of peak to Malibu and Santa Monica on other side. :D :D :D :D :D
Yep, I do these pretty often. :)

View from top of Stunt Rd.

Unfortunately a lot of these roads are too crowded on weekends unless I can get there pretty early. There are some great roads that are less traffic-heavy and are great for scooters – some are too twisty for the bikers so they stay away. Latigo Cyn. is a great descent down to the PCH from Mulholland Hwy. Piuma Rd. is a great alternate between Stunt Rd. and Las Virgenes.

My "other" favorite roads are north to Angeles Crest, Big Topanga, Little Topanga, etc. up in the Angeles National Forest. Not as twisty as some of the Malibu/Santa Monica Mtns. routes but faster and less choked up with bikers and cyclists. Also a nice climb to the mountains and cooler temps if you go all the way up to Wrightwood. (It's also faster for me to get to these than to the coastal roads. I can do Little Tujunga and back to my house in a couple hours.)

CA-2/Angeles Crest Hwy:

Those 53 miles are pretty much like this all the way up and down:

This was in May, a few years ago, still some snow.

And other other faves in the region are a lot of the routes around San Diego that I haven't ridden nearly enough including S22 (The Glass Elevator) and the Banner Grade, Ortega Hwy. The 94 out of Tecate is a blast to ride but no point in doing it unless you're going over the border or coming back.

jijifer riding up the Banner Grade on her Buddy:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

My fav route for scoot or car is to drive the Ohio River Byway, which is Rt 52, from New Richmond Ohio to Portsmouth Ohio.

Straight, mostly flat 2 lane that hugs the Ohio River most of the way and passes through interesting little historic river towns. Lots of places to eat and stop along the way.

On weekends there are lots of motorcycles, but not too bad of a crowd. Good company!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:There is a Hwy in eastern AZ that I've read about and seen on maps that looks epic. Forget the Tail, that road looks like the whole Dragon.
You're thinking of US191, the formerly-known-as 666 spur off the Mother Road. It's about 90 miles of twisties and elevation changes. The fun starts near Alpine and ends with diving turns through the Phelps-Dodge copper mine at Clifton/Morenci. Driven it a few times, but haven't scooted it yet. No guardrails in most places, so mind the corners.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Does not compare to a lot of these but... it's close to home, nicely wooded, lots of elevation changes & curves (kind of hard to tell from the video)
It's Bluff Road in Lemont
Only 3 miles long... but a fun ride.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QcALZyfZS1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1ksUv_NVnG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Too many here in the NGA mountains to make a clear choice. Burnt Mtn. Rd. out of Jasper, GA over to Amicolola Falls is a good one and any road in the Bryson City, NC area including the Tail of the Dragon. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
ALF

scooter route

Post by ALF »

On the Hudson River north of New York City. West side, from West Point to Cornwall NY is NY 218. Look it up.

On the East Side of the river, over the Bear Mountain Bridge is the "Goat Path" Rt 202.

Also further west along the NY PA border north of Port Jervis is Rt 97, Eagle's Nest especially nice run.

Any road where I see the twisty black road course and 25 MPH, no traffic, SWEET!!!!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway through Western Oregon is also a great scooter route. It follows rural roads through the scenic agricultural areas of the Willamette Valley passing hop fields, wineries, covered bridges, state parks, and historic sites. Mostly fairly level and gradual grades. About 120 miles 1 way - Portland to Eugene. Several campgrounds in route. Light traffic. Lots of fun in the summer.

http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/BIKE/pages/wvsb_main.aspx
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Our local nifty road:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Highway

It's the SIRs ride of the month for July (this Saturday). :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Take the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton on Whidbey Island. Then, the back road to Langley. From there, stitch together back roads to Freeland and all the way up to Coupeville. Nice roads with lots of curves and great water views. Watch out for deer.

If you have the time, take the ferry form there to Port Townsend... Wonderful two wheel territory.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Great scooter dealer on Whidbey Island. Whidbey Island Moped is the name,
if I recall correctly. :wink:
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Yes, I think that is the dealer in Langley. Nice people. Very happy to talk scooters with anyone. And they also occasionally organize island rides. Anyone in the area should stop in and say "Hi".
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Attachments
Naciemento.jpg
Naciemento.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

sfchorus wrote:In San Francisco, I have a really good time riding around the Presidio, which is a national park right in the middle of town. It has hills, twisties and excellent views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's been a great "training ground" for me.
I'd ride my scooter up to SF from San Diego just to go for a spin through the Presidio (as well as other scenic spots up in Nor Cal). When I lived up there, I used to ride through there on my bike every weekend, then across the Golden Gate bridge and up to the Marin Headlands.

I haven't ventured too far outside of North County San Diego on my scooter yet, but I do have some nice twisty backroads to and from work everyday.

Reading all these posts makes me want to go on a roadtrip!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

misterbrackets wrote:
sfchorus wrote:In San Francisco, I have a really good time riding around the Presidio, which is a national park right in the middle of town. It has hills, twisties and excellent views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's been a great "training ground" for me.
I'd ride my scooter up to SF from San Diego just to go for a spin through the Presidio (as well as other scenic spots up in Nor Cal). When I lived up there, I used to ride through there on my bike every weekend, then across the Golden Gate bridge and up to the Marin Headlands.

I haven't ventured too far outside of North County San Diego on my scooter yet, but I do have some nice twisty backroads to and from work everyday.

Reading all these posts makes me want to go on a roadtrip!
Lots of great routes near North County! I love riding down in the inland areas north of SD. Wish I made it down there more often.

I've ridden some great roads in the past month and this is the one I have to get to again someday. Hwy. 93, Icefields Parkway, through Jasper and Banff Natoinal Parks in Alberta. Not the most technical road but certainly the most beautiful ride I've ever done. I can't stop thinking about it. Not that far from the NW USA!

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I have a 25 mile back road loop out from where I live that I ride "in a pinch". It takes me along some quiet creeks, winding leafy roads, an open valley, and along a pretty good sized river.

I see cows, donkeys, chickens, geese, bunnies, deer, hawks, farms, log cabins, and a few cemeteries as well.

If I can't get out anywhere for an extended ride, I do this loop. It always refreshes my soul and gives me a taste of being in the country.

Here are some highlights:
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg (140.88 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg (178.07 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg (152.61 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg (130.5 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

Whimscootie wrote:Here are some highlights:
You had me with the "Speed Limit 40" sign. :)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Eric and Deb tie for 1st place in the most beautiful roads and best photography. :wink:
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Eric, +1 on the Marin headlands I grew up in Marin, and spent my formative driving and motorcycling years on those roads. Love 'em.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1980 Yamaha IT125
annoythemom

Post by annoythemom »

Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

TVB wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:Here are some highlights:
You had me with the "Speed Limit 40" sign. :)
Yeah, I thought you'd like that one!

:D