Installed the NCY exhaust on my 170I

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Compadre

Installed the NCY exhaust on my 170I

Post by Compadre »

I got it on today; was a pretty easy install so anyone thinking of doing it themselves then it is two head nuts and three bracket bolts for a total of maybe 10 minutes of time.

I'm including a link to the youtube video I published so you can hear it for yourself but it does not do it much justice.

Sound impressions: Great, deep sound now; sounds like a much larger engine than it is. I did not install the sound suppressor btw.

Riding/performance impressions: I honestly cannot tell a difference b/c I'm not going over half throttle due to breaking in the engine still. I know that's not much help but this may be more of a "vanity" upgrade for the exhaust sound.

Other impressions: I am coming from riding a 50cc Yamaha Zuma two stroke and first thing I noticed on my Buddy 170I was some vibration up to the handlebars. I think this is normal; afterall, it's a 170ish cc power plant. With the new NCY exhaust I notice even more of this vibration; even to the point of the mirrors shaking. Is this normal? I don't know but it's not really bothering me.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eji3hGYF ... e=youtu.be
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

If there is a calibration unit for the fuel injection to allow a richer fuel mix it can smooth out the running. Sounds like the Buddy does not have an O2 sensor.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Vespa Marietta installed one on my 170i in April but I have not had a chance to ride it much due to all the rainy weather we have been having. Like the sound and the scoot seems to have a bit more take off power.
The 170i is a 'quick' ride on take off to begin with so it may be wishful thinking on my part. Will know more next week when I start riding it regularly.
:wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Compadre

Post by Compadre »

Wolfhound wrote:Vespa Marietta installed one on my 170i in April but I have not had a chance to ride it much due to all the rainy weather we have been having. Like the sound and the scoot seems to have a bit more take off power.
The 170i is a 'quick' ride on take off to begin with so it may be wishful thinking on my part. Will know more next week when I start riding it regularly.
:wink:
Afraid not on the fuel controller side of things. Alternative is a Bazzaz unit calibrated for my application or the upgraded version with mapping but looks like it would require a bung welded into the exhaust pipe. Will look into the Bazzaz unit eventually but for now, just ride and enjoy the sweet sound! :twisted:
Mikestib1

Aftermarket exhaust and fuel injection

Post by Mikestib1 »

I've replaced the stock exhaust on at least half a dozen single, twin and four cylinder motorcycles and the fuel injection ECU always compensated without a power commander or FI controller as long as I left the air intake stock. Just don't expect a big performance gain, usually just more responsive throttle and better sound, and less weight. As for voiding your warranty, just be sure to put your original muffler back on if you need to take your scoot in for repairs.