Riding with pets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thebirdandtheb

Riding with pets

Post by thebirdandtheb »

I know, I know. Taking your pet on the scooter isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, I have no car, live in a very urban city, and sometimes want to take my dog to the dog park/vet.

I have a buddy 50. I also have two cats, and I've recently had to take a cat to the very and I have a backpack carrier type thing. It worked fine for the cat, but my dog is terrified of it, and frankly I don't feel super secure with the dog in it.

Any ideas? My dog is smallish. About 13 pounds. I was thinking about one of those carriers that you strap to your front. Anyone have experience with those or any other ideas? Thanks!
47909Rider

Post by 47909Rider »

I've got no personal experience, but I have seen several people here in my city carrying their small dogs on a scooter using one of those chest pouch things that you describe.

Make sure you get the dog some goggles. They make dog-specific ones, just do a Google search for "doggles."
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

There are at least a couple of vloggers on youtube whose dogs obediently stand on the flat floorboard of the scooter while traveling. They do seem to enjoy it.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

What do you think the pet carrier is for?
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I met a couple who travelled by scooter with a small dog in a top case on the rear rack. The case was similar to a Shad or other common cases. They had cut a large hole in the top so the dog could poke his (her?) head out (and get air!), and added an attachment inside for a short leash so doggie couldn't jump out.

Seems like not a bad way to go.
1971 Hodaka Ace 100
1977 Suzuki GT250 is now sold... Good bike!
1980 Yamaha IT125
Honda: '66 CT90 KO; '83 CT110; '92 CT70; 2001 XR250
and 1 or 2 others... I need to sell some bikes!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Honestly, though others may do it and there are things sold to enable it. It's not something I'd recommend. Sorry....
The 'closest' I've done is ride with my young son's stuffed toy raccoon and he has 'full gear' ('leather' jacket, helmet & goggles)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

I used to ride with my rats on the scooter.
but the birds of prey following us up and down the road made them nervous.
Okie scoot

Post by Okie scoot »

I have seen this on a few motorcycles. I don't know if it will fit a scooter. http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3904/Pet-Palace
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Okie scoot wrote:I have seen this on a few motorcycles. I don't know if it will fit a scooter. http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3904/Pet-Palace
Can you imagine the heat build up in that during summer riding?

It is so closed in. I think I could make something better than that myself and a lot cheaper too.

I've always wanted to take my little dog along, but I am just so afraid she would be fatally injured in any type of riding mishap.

So she stays at home and pouts when I scoot. :(
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

There are some great threads on this topic over at ADVRider, like this one which is 22 pages long:

Dogs on Motorcycles

For more, go to Google and put the following into the Search field:

site:advrider.com pets
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with KABarash. Plus, putting a small pet in a front carrier guarentees it will be the first to arrive at the accident. Many sidecar users carry dogs in the sidecar but on short leads. Not to be argumentative but I don't think carrying a pet on a scoot is a good idea. :roll:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
thebirdandtheb

Post by thebirdandtheb »

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them out.

As far as those who are telling me it's a bad idea, I understand your point. However, as I originally stated in my previous message I do not have a car. That fact means that sometimes it will be necessary for me to take them on the scoot.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Teach it to run?

climbguy

Post by climbguy »

I have a 27 lbs beagle and played around with a few ways of bringing her along.

The best way I found is I put her in a strong canvas bag, place the bag on the floor board and then tie the handles of the bag under the seat.

I got this one from Amazon and it works well. Next time I do it I'll take a picture and post it.
libwitch

Post by libwitch »

VinylDoctor wrote:I used to ride with my rats on the scooter.
...I am sorry, but this made me laugh much louder then it should have.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

libwitch wrote:
VinylDoctor wrote:I used to ride with my rats on the scooter.
...I am sorry, but this made me laugh much louder then it should have.
KrispyKreme wrote:What do you think the pet carrier is for?
This is what made me crack up out loud!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

A car free friend from the local scoot community recently got in an accident with her pooch in the carrier strapped to the seat behind her. She had some pretty bad injures, but her little man dragged himself and the carrier across the pavement to comfort her (sniffle) . he somehow did well thru it all. He had goggles and a padded carrier. AGATT people.she was geared up too :)
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

There's a PCX rider named Maddiedog over on Adventure Rider who takes his dog everywhere while she sits, more or less, on his lap behind the windscreen. He even tours with her.

Lots of pics under the Battlescooter section.
DHegg33

Post by DHegg33 »

Ok, I have a fair amount of experience with this subject. I drop my daschund off at my Moms every workday so she can go on walks and play with my Moms other dogs and does not have to be locked up all day. So before I purchased my scooter I knew I would have to be able to transport her on it. I got one of those pet carrier bags from petsmart. It had a mesh zippered flap that I cut off because I did not think she would want to be enclosed in the bag. I cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom and put a pad over it so she can stand firmly on it without sinking into the middle of it which happened the first time I tried it out. it has a short leash attachment on the bottom that I clip to her harness. It has a shoulder strap so I wear it like a messenger bag and she rides in front of me at about chest level. She was a bit nervous the first time I put her in. But now she is as calm as can be when I put her in the bag to ride. It has worked out well for me.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

KrispyKreme wrote:What do you think the pet carrier is for?
"In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious." -T. Pratchett
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

JettaKnight wrote:Teach it to run?

:( :roll: :x