Scooter shopping - Buddy 50 - 8000 Miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pyaniglos

Scooter shopping - Buddy 50 - 8000 Miles

Post by pyaniglos »

I'm curious what the thoughts are on a Buddy 50 that has nearly 8k miles? I believe it's a 2004. Seller is asking $900 but may have some flexibility. I don't have information on how it has been maintained. That seemed like a lot of miles as I would maybe use it for 10-15 miles a week.

Thanks for any input.
Whimscootie

Re: Scooter shopping - Buddy 50 - 8000 Miles

Post by Whimscootie »

pyaniglos wrote:I'm curious what the thoughts are on a Buddy 50 that has nearly 8k miles? I believe it's a 2004. Seller is asking $900 but may have some flexibility. I don't have information on how it has been maintained. That seemed like a lot of miles as I would maybe use it for 10-15 miles a week.

Thanks for any input.
Yeah, it depends on how it was maintained. Did it sit a lot, did he do the regular maintenance checks, change the oil, etc. Are the tires original? if not, now old? If stock they'd be pretty dried out by now.

Did you ride it? Did you compare it's value on KBB or NADA?

If it looks basically ok I'd offer him a way lower amount. Tires could cost you close to $100 as well as service costs.

Does he have a service record? Is he the original owner, etc.

It's a shot in the dark IMO.

:roll:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if it's in decent shape, 8k miles is nothing on them.

Given the way that some people treat 50cc, it could go either way.
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

I thought Buddys only came out in '06?

I'd rather have 10k maintained properly miles than 5k without.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Genuine didn't start selling the Buddy until 2006, so that's earliest model year it could be. Assuming it's in good condition, that's a good price for a 2006 Buddy 50.

8000 is not a lot of miles on these: mine (a 2009) has 23,500, and didn't need any non-routine-maintenance engine work until recently. If this one still has the original tires, they'd be pretty worn by now, so if the tire treads look good, they're probably fairly new (i.e. safe).

The fact that it has that many miles at least gives some assurance that the bike has been ridden, as opposed to sitting for years with the fluids slowly going bad. A good question to ask is how many of those miles have been in the last year or two (the higher the better).

The good news is that, because it's an oil-burning 2-stroke, you don't need to worry about whether the previous owner did regular engine oil changes. The bad news is that this could mean they didn't bother doing regular gear oil changes, which would mean excess wear on the transmission.
pyaniglos

Post by pyaniglos »

Thank you all for the insight. I'm hoping to check out the scooter tomorrow and I'll be armed with info/questions you provided. Thanks again.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

if you decide to buy, check to make sure the VIN # on the scooter matches the one on the title. and if the person has no title, do not hand over any cash.

good luck! :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I don't know where C'ville is (I can think of many!) but do you have a local shop that could check it out before purchase?

It may cost a few bucks, maybe an hour of labor, but could buy piece of mind and if something is needed cut a deal with the seller, work that flexibility!

TVB and others makes some good points. Remember it's a 2T...there are about 5 moving parts in the motor. If a decent 2T oil has been used (ask the seller what they have been using) 8K is fine. It may need a belt and rollers if they haven't been replaced...not a big deal, and check the tires. These are all normal wear items so nothing to be concerned about if neededI think the price is pretty fair.

Yeah you're planning on 10-15 miles a week...you'll probably find yourself riding more than you planned!

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

scullyfu wrote:if you decide to buy, check to make sure the VIN # on the scooter matches the one on the title. and if the person has no title, do not hand over any cash.
Not all states issue titles for 50cc scooters.
pyaniglos

Post by pyaniglos »

Thanks again everyone. Not this time. Seller had only had the scooter for a short period. Didn't have many answers on maintenance history. Had service once. Mirrors were missing? Body looked a bit rough. No title. Seemed to ride pretty well but was not feeling this one. The one nice thing opt to test drive , driving the Buddy 50 in my hilly neighborhood was impessed with performance.